Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol?

Default Re: Pocket Pistol?

Thanks for all the replies guys great info, i have to get to the gun store here soon to start looking around as i heard they started to get some guns back in stock( they were wiped clean a couple months ago). I really like the idea of the lcr, its a shame its too big, ill go handle a bunch of different guns and see how they feel.

Hey!......... Don't be so quick to give up on the Ruger LCR...... My recommendation is to get it in 38+p. It weighs 13.5 oz which is a couple oz lighter than the classic pocket gun.....the Smith and Wesson 442. I actually owned both revolvers....but have since sold the Smith. The Ruger has great sights, an even better trigger and the standard Hogue Tamer Grips make it easy to shoot at the range. I have over 3,000 rounds through mine with no indication of any wear. Sure, you can find smaller, slimmer pistols in the 380 and 9mm persuasion, but how many are reliable as a revolver? I highly recommend the Ruger and I think you would do well to rent it at your local range and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Hey!......... Don't be so quick to give up on the Ruger LCR...... My recommendation is to get it in 38+p. It weighs 13.5 oz which is a couple oz lighter than the classic pocket gun.....the Smith and Wesson 442. I actually owned both revolvers....but have since sold the Smith. The Ruger has great sights, an even better trigger and the standard Hogue Tamer Grips make it easy to shoot at the range. I have over 3,000 rounds through mine with no indication of any wear. Sure, you can find smaller, slimmer pistols in the 380 and 9mm persuasion, but how many are reliable as a revolver? I highly recommend the Ruger and I think you would do well to rent it at your local range and give it a try.
    Just got back from the gun shop and held both the .357 and .38 lcr and i do think i am in love. Slipped into my pocked quite nice, and i think with a pocket holster it would disappear a bit more. The .38 is noticeably lighter. The lc9 was nice, but i was not crazy about it for some reason. A friend from highschool was working and showing the guns to me and was very helpful. Then I went off with my girlfriend to help her shop for her first gun and when I came back there was a different salesman and I wanted to see the gun one more time. He asked me how I wanted to carry it and i told him i was looking for something I can slip into a pocket and go with and also as a backup to my normal carry pistols. He started going off against pocket carry and on and on and I was thinking to myself, if I had not had such a good experience with my buddy a half hour before, he would have totally just talked me out of a gun. Anyway im going to check out my other jeans pockets to make sure they are all relatively the same size as the ones i am wearing, and then try to talk myself into it haha.

(Bucks County)

P238?

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    P238?
    I wish they had that at the store to check out, hows it shoot?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
    I wish they had that at the store to check out, hows it shoot?
    If you ask me, it's great. It weighs more than your usual polymer pocket carry guns so there's none of that snappiness that 380 can have. Like any Sig, the sights are awesome. If you're a fan of the 1911 layout, you won't regret buying one. My only gripe is that .380 is tough to come by which makes about as much sense at 22LR being nonexistent.

I see you're even fairly local in Pottstown. If you can make it to Quinby's in Dublin, they have (or had) a beautiful one with the Rosewood grips.

Everything I've read about the P238 is that they're a dream to shoot for a micro .380. That said, like someone else said above, I'm not sold on pocket-carrying a SAO pistol.

Not sure of your build, but I'm 6'0", 175 lbs, and have a 33" waist -- pocket carrying anything bigger/thicker than an LCP is a challenge for me. That said, one pistol I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is a SIG P290. If you go that route, make sure it's one of later RS models where the bugs have more or less been worked out...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJChenMPH View Post
    Everything I've read about the P238 is that they're a dream to shoot for a micro .380. That said, like someone else said above, I'm not sold on pocket-carrying a SAO pistol.

Not sure of your build, but I'm 6'0", 175 lbs, and have a 33" waist -- pocket carrying anything bigger/thicker than an LCP is a challenge for me. That said, one pistol I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is a SIG P290. If you go that route, make sure it's one of later RS models where the bugs have more or less been worked out...
    I was, too, but here's what put me at ease. 1, a good quality holster will cover the safety. In my case, RKBA and you can get them in different cuts for different pants. 2, the safety is extremely positive. It actually takes a little push to click it on and off. It's far from being sensitive. 3, even though it is SAO, it still has a heavier trigger than a usual 1911. Not enough that it has a negative effect on accuracy or shooting but enough that you just can't blow on it and have the gun fire. That's my $.02.

I'm 5'7" and 180lbs. Even with a slightly snug pair of pants, it looks like a wallet or phone from the outside. A looser pair of pants or one with bigger pockets and it totally disappears.

I am in the market for a pocket pistol also. Was looking at the S/W Bodyguard 380. Fit in my pocket well. Was selling for $360 something brand new at a local dealer. Don't have a carry permit but would like to carry it in my pocket on my own property. There have been plenty of times I had to walk out in the middle of the night back to my Pole Barn for something. One never knows what may be lerking out there especially with the way things are going on these days. Basically need the pistol for home protection as my other pistols are too large for my front pocket. Don't know if they make a 9mm as small as the Bodyguard 380 so I am looking for suggestions. Have plenty of 9mm ammo for my Beretta 92FS which is too large for my pocket. Your thoughts? Don't have any 380 ammo of course and if I buy the Bodyguard 380 will need to buy some.

I forgot to mention the DoubleTap Derringer-style pistols that are supposedly coming out in 9mm and .45...frankly, they appear to be about the same size as an LCP in length and height (probably a touch bigger, actually), but much, much, thinner (which is really the issue with concealability in a pocket pistol, IMO). However, like most Derringers, you only get two shots before you have to reload.

@ffas23: I mentioned the SIG P290RS above, which is just a smidge bigger than an LCP in all dimensions...I'm actually mighty tempted to get one myself (even though I have an LCP and just pre-ordered an XDs).
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; May 24th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast