Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default need advice on handgun buying

I am 19 years of age. I go hunting a lot by myself and recently purchased my sportsmans license. How can I legally obtain a handgun without having my parents buy it and "gift" it to me? Is it legal for me to buy one in a private sales and have it transferred at an ffl?? PLEASE help me find out so I can do this LEGALLY!!

(York County)

Default Re: need advice on handgun buying

You can only get it through gifting from a parent, grand parent or spouse.

(Chester County)

Well I was reading and doing homework on it. I believe that because it is legal for me to posses a handgun at 18yo even though im 19, I can go to my counties sheriff and do the transfer there. Because it states Im legally allowed to own and posses one it does not state the ONLY way I can become the possessor is through a gift. It states no where that I cannot purchase one through a private transaction. The only problem would be with an ffl and the sheriff is not an ffl they are just another place I can do a transaction including 4473. Correct me if the way I am thinking is wrong but I do believe that it is legal to do a private purchase and go through the sheriff since it states absolutely nowhere in any of the laws or sections that a person under 21 cannot buy a handgun through a private transaction....

(Mifflin County)

Good luck getting a sheriff to do that transfer for you. Yes, technically it's legal, but it's highly unlikely that you'll find a sheriff willing to do it. It would probably be easier to move to a state that doesn't require paperwork for handgun sales and buy privately in your new state of residence..... or get a parent or grandparent to sell you one of theirs, or buy you one as a gift.

(Lebanon County)

Yep. It is legal. Call your local sheriff's office to see if they will do the transfer.
    Call your neighboring counties offices to see if they will.

Who is going to buy your ammo for you once you own the gun?

(York County)

Not to sound like I'm being snarky, but waiting until you are 21 solves this problem.

I really wanted to own centerfire guns when I was 19, but patiently waited until I turned 21 to do so, esp. since my parents absolutely would not cater to my interests in this.

If you really got to just own a handgun, you could always go the cap and ball route and get a repo of a Civil War revolver.

(Lackawanna County)

Just a thought...

If you really want a handgun (and free training) at 19, you could sign up for the military. They'll give one to you. By the time you're out after a 2 year enlistment, you'll be old enough to purchase as many hand guns as you'd like.

(Jefferson County)

A FFL cannot transfer a handgun to someone under 21yo - that is federal law.

Since PA law requires a recorded transfer for transfers other than certain family members, the only recourse is a sheriff transfer(or inheritance/bequest) . The sheriff transfer only requires the State Police's SP4-113 form. A 4473 is not performed at a sheriff - that is a federal form for FFL's.

However, there may only be 1 or 2 sheriffs in the entire state who is willing to do it, or knows he is legally allowed to do it. Many sheriff's are shied away from doing it because of the warning over the PICS call that the buyer is under 21yo. ....they then make the incorrect correlation of the LTCF and FFL requirement as being a burden upon that transfer as well.

I bought my first handgun when I was 19 or 20, and did the transfer at the Jefferson Co Sheriff's office. At that present time there was a 1 or 2 week waiting period, so the sheriff held it for that time period, then I came and picked it up. (prior to instant check)
    Last edited by knight0334; May 23rd, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!