Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Trying to find some info

I am trying to find anything in writing stating when a civilian must obey the commands of a Law Enforcement person. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Trying to find some info

Are you looking for something like this? This is from the Pa. crimes code.

§ 5502. Failure of disorderly persons to disperse upon official order.

Where three or more persons are participating in a course of disorderly conduct which causes or may reasonably be expected to cause substantial harm or serious inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, a peace officer or other public servant engaged in executing or enforcing the law may order the participants and others in the immediate vicinity to disperse. A person who refuses or knowingly fails to obey such an order commits a misdemeanor of the second degree.

Or this....

§ 5503. Disorderly conduct.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of disorderly
    conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance
    or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
    (1) engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or
    tumultuous behavior;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise;
    (3) uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture;
    or
    (4) creates a hazardous or physically offensive
    condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of
    the actor.
    (b) Grading.--An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
    of the third degree if the intent of the actor is to cause
    substantial harm or serious inconvenience, or if he persists in
    disorderly conduct after reasonable warning or request to
    desist. Otherwise disorderly conduct is a summary offense.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Indiana County)

Lawful commands or just any commands? There is a difference.

(Chester County)

What I am seeking is to help educate a new shooter. Just trying to provide her with as much info about the law as possible so she can decide how to conduct herself. I am set in my ways and I dont want her to do what I do, hence I want to give her correct legal info.

I gave her the US Constitution as well as the PA Constitution. Also printed out the usual flyers and info from this site. She is little insecure with the whole law enforcement confrontations but I just tell her to be polite, know your rights, and do what you have to do.

For example, you are OC'g down the street and a cop on the other side of the street yells, hey you come over here. To me that's unlawful, hence no need to obey

Since she is a reader, I am just trying to gather as much reading material as I can.

Thank you

(Lancaster County)

This is a slippery slope and a gray area. You also have to take into consideration of local,state laws because each are different. If you are walking down the street and a policeman asks you to come over, before you go into your "I know my rights mode", you may want to extend common courtesy and ask what for? You can't assume what the LEO wants...they may actually want to ask you a simple question. As long as you are not doing anything unlawful you have nothing to worry about. There may be the case where someone who saw you walking down the road OC'ing called the police claiming that you were acting "funny" while carrying a firearm. Police have to verify and confirm if it is true or BS. If that is the case then they have an obligation and duty to stop you and ask for ID. Once they quickly determine that you are not doing anything wrong they will leave you alone.

The problem is all too often certain gun owners automatically go into "My rights mode" and they create their own shit storm. This in turn creates a bad stereo type for all gun owners just like when certain "bad apple" policemen create a stereo type for all policemen.

Just use common sense...communicate...and if it is clear that your rights are being violated then you can stand your ground..until then don't automatically assume that you are being harassed and make all gun owners look like asses.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Screamneagle68 View Post
    This is a slippery slope and a gray area. You also have to take into consideration of local,state laws because each are different. If you are walking down the street and a policeman asks you to come over, before you go into your "I know my rights mode", you may want to extend common courtesy and ask what for? You can't assume what the LEO wants...they may actually want to ask you a simple question. As long as you are not doing anything unlawful you have nothing to worry about. There may be the case where someone who saw you walking down the road OC'ing called the police claiming that you were acting "funny" while carrying a firearm. Police have to verify and confirm if it is true or BS. If that is the case then they have an obligation and duty to stop you and ask for ID. Once they quickly determine that you are not doing anything wrong they will leave you alone.

The problem is all too often certain gun owners automatically go into "My rights mode" and they create their own shit storm. This in turn creates a bad stereo type for all gun owners just like when certain "bad apple" policemen create a stereo type for all policemen.

Just use common sense...communicate...and if it is clear that your rights are being violated then you can stand your ground..until then don't automatically assume that you are being harassed and make all gun owners look like asses.

Unless you were breaking the law and the LEO has PC or RAS then there is no reason to stop you and ask you to come over to them and there is definitely no reason to ask for ID. The LEO is already violating your rights if they do any more than say hello if you were doing nothing illegal. You can be polite and refuse to have your rights violated.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Chester County)

If a battle cannot be won, do not fight it.

You have to pick your battles wisely. Not every conflict is worth turning
    into a major battle. There are certain battles which simply cannot be won no
    matter how much effort you put into them or what strategies you use. They
    are simply losing causes and fighting such battles does little to help you
    accomplish your ultimate objectives. The wise man will not let his pride get
    in the way of obtaining his goals, and fighting a battle which cannot be won
    is a prime example of allowing your pride to cloud your thinking.

Sun Tzu
    I am not telling anyone what to do, but simply saying that this is the advice that I follow.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Chester County)

I agree with everyone. I learned by experience on how to deal with people in those situations. I just wasnt sure if there was anything written down on this subject, or its just "unwritten" policy so to speak. I definately dont want to pass down my bad habits to someone else

Is being told to roll down your window a lawful order. Without RAS I don't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneBHaxvIhU&noredirect=1

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Screamneagle68 View Post
    As long as you are not doing anything unlawful you have nothing to worry about. .
    Yeah, I can tell you a story about a poor little old Grandmother who obeyed a lawful command to "COME OUT" and it got her murdered by the Warminster Police Department! They were shouting "COME OUT", and she opened her door and they killed her deader than shit!! So, yeah, not so much should you just bend over and relinquish all your rights just because some thug with a badge wants to show you who's boss.