Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Making my own Ironsights

I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Stainless.. It was exactly the gun I was looking for.. *except* it didnt come with ironsights.

Im an experienced CNC machinist, and im really considering making my own. The barrel is clean, no drilled/tapped holes for sights, but the receiver is tapped for scope mounts (I do have a scope on it currently).

I dont know very much about *how* a rear ironsight is engineered.. I would like to make an adjustable one, but I dont really want a remington BDL style ramp. Id much prefer something that is more easily adjusted in finer incriments (theres the machinist in me speaking).

As far as the front sight goes, I was planning on makeing a 'split ring' type mount that would just slip over the barrel, then a screw to squeeze it and clamp it down. I have heard this may not be good for the barrel however.

I would like to avoid drilling the barrel if at all possible..

Does anyone have any blueprints/sketches/concepts/links for ironsights?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default iron sights

I was looking for a peep sight to put on an old 22 and while I was looking for them I discovered a huge selection of micometer adjusted iron sights for target rifles at Midway. Lyman was one brand and there were all kinds of options. Most mounted in dovetails, but if you are a machinist it should be no problem.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Making my own Ironsights

I'm no machinist or engineer, but i do have an idea.

Start with something like a basic mauser sight, i don't know the technical term for that design, but think of a flat bar hinged at one end. Add a spring to tension it and pull it flat against the barrel. Add a hole thru the center of the bar where a finely threaded screw has enough room to clear without friction. Anchor the screw to the base of the sight sticking thru the hole a little, but not enough to obstruct the sight picture. Thread on a thin, very wide nut that would have a greater diameter than the thickness of the bar (think large button off a suit or winter coat), under the bar to push it up and away from the barrel.
    That would get you a finely tuned elevation adjustment, you could go even further and make it clickable by adding a spring tensioned pin sticking out of the bottom of the bar, and putting dimples in the top of the nut. That would also have the added benefit of preventing movement during recoil or mild bumps.
    For windage, you could machine a channel on the top and bottom of the end of the bar, slide on a mini c channel. trap a screw in the c channel, and thread the end of the bar (think cresent wrench and you'll get the idea) Add a similiar dimple and spring pin setup for clicks and to prevent movement

I think that would make a pretty sturdy rear sight. I may have over engineered it a bit though.

(Blair County)

You can make verry nice irons if you take the time. Your front idea is done all the time, and if the clamping band is aluminum the bluing wont be harmed. Here is a rear sight:

and here is a front:

Steve

I love peep sights and ghost rings as far as sights go, I think they're the pinnacle of iron sights. Always love ghost rings on a shotgun.