Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Talking Looking for a good stripper...

My wife's TRP was originally stainless steel. The person who owned it previously had it re-finished in black and some of it is starting to wear in common friction areas. My wife would like to have the gun stripped back down to its original stainless. Unfortunately, I don't know what type of finish is on the gun and the previous owner couldn't remember either.

Is there a way to tell if it's been Duracoated, or Ceracoated, or whatever? How easy or hard would it be to remove the finish and get it back to stainless? She doesn't want it to be shiny, more matte stainless.

Looking at the frame it looks like whoever finished it stripped the gun down because it's black through and through. I don't know that I want to go that far to strip the finish off. Can I safely strip the finish on the outer areas of the frame without removing all the wee parts inside?

Thanks.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Looking for a good stripper...

If she wants it matte, beadblasting would be my choice.

If you want to try it at home, go to Lowes and look for the strongest stripper or an automotive paint supply place and buy aircraft stripper.

You will need to strip it down. If not, you will end up with slimy snot like stuff in the guts of your pistol and this will gum it up and attract dirt and grit.
    Stripping down a 1911 is not that difficult, maybe look for a youtube vid.

(Beaver County)

My unprofessional opinion, send it out to be refinished. Springfield's Custom shop(SACS) can do either Nickel-Teflon or NP3(I think), they are both a dull stainless finish.
    Another option would be to get it bead blasted, which I'm not sure if SACS does. Although that is the original finish of a stainless TRP.

Edit: 39flathead beat me on the reply. But I figured I'd add that while bead blasting is the cheapest option it won't last as long as the Nickel-Teflon or NP3. However you'll be able to re-bead blast a few times for the cost of the other finishes that will eventually wear as well.
    Last edited by spartakis252; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Man, talk about a misleading thread title! I came here looking for recommendations on strippers, and all you guys are talking about is refinishing metal....

LOL, sorry guys, it had to be done.
    Last edited by 87hurricane; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

(Monroe County)

I know a few strippers that put on quite a show. They are also easily persuaded by more money...
    Everyone should have an AK-47

This stuff: http://www.wmbarr.com/jasco/default.aspx will remove Durakote, Cerokote, super kote, burly kote, nasty kote, whatever. It does not hurt stainless steel, and comes in aerosol, also. Put on, let stand 30 min, pressure wash off paint and residue. Repeat until back to stainless. Do not scrub between coatings of paint remover.

39flathead recommends going to HD, Lowes, etc...that's good, too, but be sure if you get something, there, it will remove epoxy. He also says to disassemble the gun. That is a must. You can clean and relube all the internals while you're at it and be back to like new. Not a hard job, at all...just a little messy.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Indiana County)

I'm thinking soaking the parts in MEK would soften the stuff if it's Duracoat wouldn't it?

A gallon of MEK is pretty cheap (and very flammable).