Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Biometric Gun Vault

I am thinking of getting biometric gun vault. My question is
    does it really work? In this do you have to struggle with your fingerprint or is it a simple pressing down of the finger? Also is it true about the defect? There are some intern posting and some video on YouTube about if you hit the top of the lock with two fingers without putting the combination that vault will automatically pop open. For those who have this vault have you tried this and doing this and does it stay closed or open? Also where can you buy a vault I am looking at the two shelf with 4 gun storage. Something in the Montgomery County Area. Finally, how much do vault cast?
    Thank you,
    Nick
    I will die, You will die, we all will die, just not today Patton, Battle of the Bulge.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Biometric Gun Vault

I don't have a BIO gun vault, but I do have these two, and would pass on some comments:

Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe

GunVault model GV3000 Drawer Vault

The combos work really well since each of the 4 allowed "keypresses" can actually be 1-4 buttons. eg, 1, 1+3, 2+4, 2+3+4

It is extremely quick and easy to find the buttons in absolute darkness.

Battery life in the small case has been good, lasting about 6 months when used twice or more per week. I would recommend this version, and it holds at least two FS handguns.

Battery life in the large case has been horrible. It doesn't take long to reach the point where the battery is strong enough to accept the key presses, but not to open the lid. I would not recommend this version at all.

Note that the shape of the battery case shows that the battery has been changed from AA to 9V. Obviously, there were battery issues, and in some (at least one lol) versions there may still be.

Of course, mine are one year old so the design may have changed. YMMV.

Personally I would not use the bio version. It adds one more possible misfunction to the mix, ie, recognizing your current fingerprint, as presented THIS time, possibly in complete darkness. Having to contend with battery life to get to my guns is bad enough.

(Delaware County)

Its my understanding that all current commercial biometric readers are essentially garbage.

(Northampton County)

I have been using one for a little over a year now with no problems after setting it up right. I placed it where it will be used and enrolled my finger prints only after I found the right spot. the resoning for this is that if your not standing close to the same position every time your finger will be presented to the reader slightly different each time. mine is place on night stand next to the bed. so I enrolled both left and right pointer
    fingers multiple times from the bed and standing infront of the night stand. each time I enrolled a finger I rotated it ever so slightly.

After the safe was programed in this manner I have had it open on one swipe 95% of the time and 100% on the second time.

As for battery life I have no idea, I replace it every 30 day with out question. No need to be surprised
    when you need it..

So yes it performs very well always.

just remember to enroll each finger multiple time at slightly different angles or you will run into problems with false rejections. If tou can't get it to work as well as I have get rid of it.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Northampton County)

sorry I forgot to mention that I open it at least 6 times a day

(Northampton County)

I wish it would let me edit from my phone.
    Its the gunvault mv500bio.It holds a pt-92 and an lc9 with keys to every lock in the house with little room for anything else.

(Monroe County)

Biometric sensors are very reliable, there is a reason why Bloomberg choose biometric authentication to secure their terminals. I my company only one person has absolutely unreadable fingerprints, everyone else no issues. But there are few caveats. If your finger are wet or greasy it will not work. If you damage your fingertip (cut or major scratch) it will not work. That's why you should enroll more than one finger, preferably from both hands and ones that are "less used" like "ring finger". I have Barska BIO safe and works good.

(Northampton County)

I have this one, I believe: http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-b...ic-mvb500.html If that's not it, it's the similar model with the fingerprint reader in it.

It works pretty well. I have no illusions of it keeping a determined person out of it, but I use it to keep small children (2yr old and 1yr old) away from the pistol in the night stand. For that, it works really well.

There are two issues with it. The first is I have not been able to figure out, if it's even possible, to silence it. When you push the button to scan your finger and when it unlocks, it beeps. In a quiet house in the middle of the night it would be VERY loud.

The other issue is when the batteries start to fade it takes a while for the box to unlock after swiping your finger. Normally it's a second or so. When the batteries start to fade, it can take 3-4 seconds. Of course, when you start to notice this, just change the batteries; problem solved.

All in all I like it, but you have to keep in mind that a determined individual will be able to break into almost any of the tabletop/drawer type gun safes.

Here is a very entertaining, if a little vulgar, video describing the weaknesses of these safes. It's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8
    Last edited by Patriot328; May 27th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.