Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default brady bunch explanation of "assault weapons" LOL

had to post this - i was just on the anti-gun brady bunch site and found this - i found it rather interesting and chock full o' shit, lol. especially the part about assault weapons being designed to "spray fire" from the hip. LMAO

hXXp://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/faqs/?page=awb

Q: What is the difference between semi-automatic hunting rifles and semi-automatic assault weapons?

A: Sporting rifles and assault weapons are two distinct classes of firearms. While semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend upon the accuracy of a precisely aimed projectile, semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to maximize lethal effects through a rapid rate of fire. Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip, and because of their design, a shooter can maintain control of the weapon even while firing many rounds in rapid succession.

Opponents of the ban argue that such weapons only "look scary." However, because they were designed for military purposes, assault weapons are equipped with combat hardware, such as silencers, folding stocks and bayonets, which are not found on sporting guns. Assault weapons are also designed for rapid-fire and many come equipped with large ammunition magazines allowing 50 more bullets to be fired without reloading. So there is a good reason why these features on high-powered weapons should frighten the public.

Assault weapons are commonly equipped with some or all of the following combat features:

* A large-capacity ammunition magazine, enabling the shooter to continuously fire dozens of rounds without reloading. Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 3 or 4-shot magazines.
    * A folding stock on a rifle or shotgun, which sacrifices accuracy for concealability and for mobility in close combat.
    * A pistol grip on a rifle or shotgun, which facilitates firing from the hip, allowing the shooter to spray-fire the weapon. A pistol grip also helps the shooter stabilize the firearm during rapid fire and makes it easier to shoot assault rifles one-handed.
    * A barrel shroud, which is designed to cool the barrel so the firearm can shoot many rounds in rapid succession without overheating. It also allows the shooter to grasp the barrel area to stabilize the weapon, without incurring serious burns, during rapid fire.
    * A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, which serves no useful sporting purpose. The flash suppressor allows the shooter to remain concealed when shooting at night, an advantage in combat but unnecessary for hunting or sporting purposes. In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm.
    * A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a silencer, which is useful to assassins but clearly has no purpose for sportsmen. Silencers are illegal so there is no legitimate purpose for making it possible to put a silencer on a weapon.
    * A barrel mount designed to accommodate a bayonet, which obviously serves no sporting purpose............
    Last edited by doug; April 21st, 2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: no google love for the brady bunch, broke the URL
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Chester County)

Default Re: brady bunch explanation of "assault weapons" LOL

A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a silencer, which is useful to assassins but clearly has no purpose for sportsmen. Silencers are illegal so there is no legitimate purpose for making it possible to put a silencer on a weapon.

Crap!!!! I better turn myself in to the police...

Am I the odd one here that doesn't want to burn their hand on the barrel of my gun???

(Dauphin County)

I think one of Oleg Volk's posters puts it best:

-38SnubFan

(Bedford County)

"Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip..." -the Bradys.

The last time I spray fired from the hip, I was kicked out on my drunk ass from the Dixie Chicken in College Station, TX. Those were the days!!
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Erie County)

a good shooter with a bolt gun is a hell of alot deadlier than your average joe firing from his hip with an AK.

Of course this is an organization that supports LEOs and their ability to carry anywhere, with their "super high quality john claude van damn shooting / ninja training"

(Monroe County)

All this time I couldn't figure out what pistol grips really did... luckily now I know! They allow more accurate shooting of assault rifles one handed or from the hip!

I'm glad they cleared that up for me!

hehe fire one handed... hehe. yeah that'll work

(Cambria County)

At least they called them "magazines."
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

What possible reason could a law-abiding person have for muffling a sound which is capable of permanently damaging one's hearing?

Hey, if it weren't for unmuffled gunshots, the people who live near gun ranges wouldn't have anything to bitch about. Screw them, let them hear the noise, we aren't assassins, after all.

That's why I removed the muffler from my car, too. No point in driving around with a stealth car, that an assassin could use to sneak up on his victim.

I'm tossing my shooting glasses, too. And taking off my seat belt. And forget about condoms, health insurance, door locks, safety gates, and other things that would only be useful to assassins.

If the Brady people perpetuated the same sort of stereotypes about gays and blacks and foreigners, they'd be tarred and feathered. But they can say that gun owners just want loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to take a crap, and that's just peachy.

(Luzerne County)

WTF is "spray fire"?

Why did they not teach us this feature in the military? In firearms school? Tactics classes?
    I mean the gun was "designed" to be used that way why the hell have I not learned about it?

(Philadelphia County)

I wish it were funny, but the fact is that this is a classic case of the stupid leading the blind. So many people out there feel this way, and they are "educated" by the histrionics @ Brady. That quote about sprayfire is the same one that witch Feinstein used when she pushed through her ban on "assault weapons" in Cali. It's fear and ignorance being used as a tool by "leaders" - that is the same reason we got wonderful legislation like Patriot. So when Brady and Feinstein and Obama and Hillary start decrying "spray fire" - only a few people (us) will truly understand that they have no clue what they are talking about. The rest of the planet says "yeah, that's right, what do you need those for???"

Every time I hear about the screaming about how silencers are only used for killing quietly, i think of the dedicated people at Wicen's, who would benefit from freer access to silencers by shooters. Instead, they are slowly being attacked for noise violations.

Some SWAT units use silencers. Are they assassins? Murderers? no - they do it because they need to be able to fire in CQB and still hear at the same time; things like orders, commands, and interactions with suspects/hostages.

Another reason why Politicians shouldn't be allowed to legislate things they don't understand. Look at Nutjob's ban on high capacity "Clips" (I didn't know the M1 Garand had a higher capacity than 8?) Or his flamethrower ban. Thank Jebus for that!! We need to cut down on the use of agricultural implements! Hopefully he'll go after those lethal John Deer rideable mowers next

Or better yet:http://youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Carolyn McCarthy getting owned on her own legislation; she wanted to ban things that she didn't understand. That's fear and ignorance talking...two things that should NEVER be around when legislating.

After you stop laughing, listen to her again - she wants to legislate certain types of guns because they are "the guns that most gangs and criminals are using to kill our police officers." In essence, she does not know what she is talking about (handguns take that role, not "Assault Rifles"). Yet she is in power. Scary.

Brady is a resource that quite alot of handwringers use. It is their bible on why things are so bad. And that's a tragedy - a lack of education coupled to fear coupled to numbers will be the reason that we lose our rights. My own relative, a woman who should know better, was raised around guns and listens to me talk about them, SAID THE SAME DAMNED QUOTE, about how "we shouldn't allow people to be spraying bullets everywhere".

Ignorance it out there. Its our enemy.
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; April 21st, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast