Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Private shooting range restrictions?

I tried searching for information, but came up with nothing. I'm thinking this is more related to township ordinances. The township where the range is loacted does not have any ordinances related to ranges. My question is: What are the regulations on ranges that are on your own property? Ours has a backstop that is a 6 plus foot high 2 layer RR tie wall with dirt and logs as a support. There is forest directly in the background and no houses for miles behind. There is a residences within 150 yards up and down the road behind the benches. If I'm not hunting, am I violating a law or any kind. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Private shooting range restrictions?

One restriction that comes to mind is whether the discharge of firearms is prohibited. If you can't find any info on the Twp website, mayb e someone on here may know.

(Bucks County)

Only other thing I found was a preemption violation of the UFA regarding weapons in Twp parks. Someone want to field that one?

This is out in a rural area with few houses and we're way beyond any areas that have rules against discharge. I've never had a problem before but rumor has it one of the neighbors is upset and I want to have something just in case. I never shoot anything above a 44 mag rifle or 223 bolt gun at our range. The AR I use elsewhere. Nice Pontiac in the Avatar by the way. I used to hang out with a local Pontiac group. My brother had a 455 HO 4 speed Firebird, mine had a crappy 350.

(Indiana County)

You need to go talk to your township supervisors.

If there are no rules, then there are no rules.

However, what about a noise ordnance?
    If the neighbor gets something changed by actually going to a meeting and proposing a rule change, you need to be aware of it or you will be SOL.

Talk to the supervisors is the only answer and the only way to get a correct one.
    Ask for it in writing, even if it is just a piece of paper stating there are no rules If nothing else, if the neighbor calls the police, you can say "hey, lookie here, I'm not doing anything wrong" and also, if you are on record as having a range setup and the neighbor gets something changed, you might be able to be grandfathered.