Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Browning buckmark Camper Special S/S or Standard URX S/s barrell?

I have a question for you all.

I have NO experience with Browning pistols, but I am considering buying a buckmark.

I am having trouble choosing between the Ruger MKIII and the buckmark, but believe I am going to go with the Buckmark. That's not 100% because I have not had a chance to hold each of them, but I like the Buckmark's screws to take down as opposed to the Ruger's which seems like much more of a PITA.

But with that aside, I've also heard the Buckmark's have very nice triggers as well.

My question is, between the Buckmark "Camper Special" and the "Standard URX with S/S barrel, or even just the standard blued Camper Special, what is the differences between these pistols?

It appears the "Standard URX" in S/S has a slab-sided barrell, but that's really all I could tell.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Browning buckmark Camper Special S/S or Standard URX S/s barrell?

Looks like barrel, grips, and slide are different between the 2.

Hmm...I thought mine was a camper model but don't see it listed on their site. Mine looks like a Pratical URX though.

Very nice pistol. I added a rail and a small red dot sight to it.

Thanks for the reply.

It does appear those items are different, I just wonder why that is, the barrel on the standard URX, the slab-sided one does seem more rhobust....but that could be just because it's slab sided.

I'm leaning towards the camper special in S/S.

(Northumberland County)

It is more than just the grips. On the Buckmark models with the finger groove grips, the acutal frame is different. On some groove models the grooves are actually on the frame as well. On others, the frame is slightly smaller to allow for the wrap around grooved grips without making the grip wider overall.

If you want to use 1911 grips at some point, you'll need a non finger-glover model for the adapter plate to fit properly. Otherwise, go with whatever feels best to you.

For some time the campers were coming with a plastic top rail and sights. More recently some have been coming with the same metal piece that is found in the other models.

Rimfirecental has a great Browning forum. If you get the Buckmark, you'll definately want to check out Chim's Buckmark page for a great disassembly guide.

Excellent info, thanks! I will check those out.

Ultimately, as I noted in a prior thread, it will come down to which one feels best in my hand, since the ruger and the buckmark's get equally good reviews.

Thanks again.