Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I get a LTCF now?

Ok, before we get into this I am going to go over this with my lawyer but wanted to hear opinions here.. I got a pfa ON someone, I am worrier about my safety more than ever and deciding if it would be a good idea to apply for a ltcf so I can protect myself.

The party that has the pfa has made threats of violence and/or death, both this person and their family have made similar threats. Is it a bad Idea to get a ltcf and pistol right now while I take them to court? Could they use this against me in court to their advantage saying I am a bad parent and my child isn't safe with me?

Again I will be talking about this to my lawyer this week.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Should I get a LTCF now?

I don't see how obtaining a LTCF could be construed in any way as bad parenting.

(York County)

I would construe it as good responsible parenting.
    Go ahead and get the LTCF, Its only $20 and in the mean time, buy a gun, get some training/safety classes. You can atleast keep your gun at home for protection until you get the LTCF.

(Delaware County)

I personally feel as though it makes perfect sense to want to be armed for self defense. That is the reason I have a ltcf. It makes even more sense in your case due to the direct threats against you. Having a ltcf, and firearms doesn't make you a bad parent. If you buy a gun make sure you have a place to keep it that is out of reach to your children. I also recommend a firearms course if you have never handled firearms before... It may be even more prudent in your case due to the upcoming hearing.
    Talk to your lawyer first.
    Good luck and sorry to hear,
    Bjmac

Thanks for the comments so far. Currently I have an ar15 that i'm trying to sell so I can have some extra money and would use some of that to put toward a carry gun. I just worry because right now I have half custody of my son but I am trying to get full custody and don't want firearms or a ltcf to be used against me. I think we all know how hard it is for a father to get full custody and I know I am very lucky to have even half custody for now. Just don't want to do anything that would hurt my case.

(Adams County)

a pfa is only as good as the paper it is written on. it makes the courts few good. if something goes wrong then they can not be blamed. a pistol will do you more good if some one does come to harm you. you do not have to tell any one you have a ltcf.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    a pfa is only as good as the paper it is written on. it makes the courts few good. if something goes wrong then they can not be blamed. a pistol will do you more good if some one does come to harm you. you do not have to tell any one you have a ltcf.
    I see where he is coming from. I can see a lawyer using the fact that he has a firearm and/or a ltcf against him in court. If in court and the question is asked he must answer it under oath. That is the main reason I suggested a firearms course, and somewhere out of reach (a safe.) I can only assume the other half of this battle knows he has an ar, so the question is likely. Unfortunately a piece of paper saying you have training is better than 40 years of firearms owning shooting in court. A safe in my eyes would be a must.

Keep us posted!

(Philadelphia County)

I would suggest getting in touch with gbrown221. He is affiliated with www.team-life.org , the guys that teach the utah carry permit course, but more importantly they also teach the NRA gun safety class. While the left look at NRA the way we look at IRS, they are still the most recognized in the gun safety game.

I think answering on question on the stand "do you own a gun?" with "yes, and I've taken the NRA safety course" is far better than a simple yes. Depending on the age of the child a "and we've taken the safety courses" may be even better.

IANAL, but I seem to get picked every 2 years to serve on a jury...and I've recently stayed at a Holiday Inn!

To answer some ques. yes she knows I have an AR, she's gone shooting with me. I will look into a class, I'm an nra member, hopefully they have weekend classes as I work during the week. I'll also look into a lock box for it, my son is 20 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchristy View Post
    I think answering on question on the stand "do you own a gun?" with "yes, and I've taken the NRA safety course" is far better than a simple yes. Depending on the age of the child a "and we've taken the safety courses" may be even better.
    Also be prepared to answer the next question, about how you keep your firearms secure from the curious hands of your son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast