Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Accessories to a Beretta M1A and a M&P9

Today I went to the range and tried several different pistols. I found that I really liked the M&P 9 and the Beretta M1A. Now that I've decided which handguns to purchase now I'm wondering what accessories to buy with this particular hand guns? What would you suggest for the first time Handgun buyer? In this cleaning kits, conceal carry holsters, regular holster, Range kits, etc? Thank you Nicholas

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Accessories to a Beretta M1A and a M&P9

First on the list is a cleaning rod and patches to fit.

Second is at least ONE spare magazine. The pistol won't shoot well without one lol. If you intend to ever shoot in NJ, consider a 15 round mag.

Third is this magazine loader, Uplula, to save your fingers. ONLY this one, no other. Please.

(Sold under Butler Creek and Maglula names)

After these, opinions will vary WILDLY lol. Here are some of mine after owning an M&P9 and a CZ85B (which comes with its own shorty cleaning rod and a test-fired target).

1) A non-aerosol cleaner for basic cleaning. Breakfree CLP (Clean Lube Protect) works well.

2) An aerosol cleaner for when you can only reach it easily with a spray. Any are fine.

3) Oil. I like this one, because the M&P needs SMALL drops of oil at 6 specific spots. The bottle is refillable . . . with any oil.

Hoppe's Precision Lubricating Oil

4) A silicon cloth for a final wipe-down of the pistol after cleaning, removing finger prints and other smudges. Any clean soft cloth/towel will also do almost as well.

As for carry holsters, you need to determine how/when/where you will carry, and what you will be wearing. Make a best guess, buy one, and use for a while. I don't think its possible to go from never-carried-concealed to the-perfect-holster in one step.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; May 18th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

(Northampton County)

I've owned both a Beretta 92A1 and an M&P9, that said, I would only consider carrying the M&P. Even with the thinnest and lightest grips available for the 92A1 (Trausch Fighter), it's still one bulky and heavy pistol. Too much to comfortably carry IMO. That said, I preferred the Beretta at the range.

Some popular mods on the Beretta are:
    - "D" hammer spring
    - elite skeletonized hammer
    - stainless recoil rod
    - thinner/lighter grips
    - night sights
    - 30rd Beretta mags, 34rd ProMags
    - picatinny mounted light or laser

Some popular mods on the M&P9 are:
    - Apex Tactical trigger components
    - night sights
    - grip stippling
    - picatinny mounted light or laser

When I occasionally carried my M&P9, I used a Galco Cop 3 Slot holster. In the end, I went from the 92A1, to the M&P9, to a Sig P226 as my high cap 9mm.

Twoboxer has some solid cleaning suggestions, but I feel that bore snakes are much easier to use and do a better job than bore patches and a rod.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-BoreSna.../dp/B004DPGM1O

Last edited by BionicMan; May 20th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

As far as cleaning kits go my personal preference is the OTIS line. I got the big kit for Christmas 2 years back from Cabela's and I use it on every gun I own. Second, I only carry my M&P when I'm out scouting with my son-in-law and grandson so my preference there is a Blackhawk Serpa. A bit bulky for true CC, however in my case it works great. For my EDC I use a DeSantis. I like the quality and the leather. Holsters are pretty much going to be a personal preference kinda deal, as well as cleaning kits. These are just a few suggestions for you to look into. As for the range kit, I pretty much just took one of my daughters backpacks left over from when she was in school and put a staple gun/staples, couple sets of ear muffs and plugs, ammo, small tape measure etc, etc.