Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default XDM 45 vs Glock 9mm

Hello,

I am having a really tough time deciding which gun I should carry. I am torn between my XDM 3.8 compact 45 9+1 and my G19 9mm 15+1. I shoot them both about the same and I can carry them both with equal ease. I really just cant decide, so I was wondering if anyone would like to chime in with their opinion and why. Such as caliber vs capacity, and which gun would serve me better for more situations etc etc. Any answers/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob G

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: XDM 45 vs Glock 9mm

Try them both, each on different days, for comfort and balance.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Aren't there enough "caliber vs capacity" debate threads already? Likewise "Glock vs Whatever" threads? Hasn't the entirety of the internet firearms community come to the realization that most modern handguns in major calibers perform to relatively similar performance levels and that what one carries comes down entirely to personal preference?

Oh wait, I forgot that it's 9mm vs .45 day here at pafooay

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_mick View Post
    Aren't there enough "caliber vs capacity" debate threads already? Likewise "Glock vs Whatever" threads? Hasn't the entirety of the internet firearms community come to the realization that most modern handguns in major calibers perform to relatively similar performance levels and that what one carries comes down entirely to personal preference?

Oh wait, I forgot that it's 9mm vs .45 day here at pafooay
    Sorry silverado, don't mean to spam the board with the same topics, was just hoping to get some fresh ideas to help me make a decision.

(Lancaster County)

Dont worry about silverados reply. He must be a "search this forum" supporter. I dont have good luck with that feature myself plus i feel new threads are what keeps the forum alive. I would do what many of us do and get a quality holster for each pistol, train with them both and alternate between the two. Realistically either pistol will serve equally well if called upon.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Dont worry about silverados reply. He must be a "search this forum" supporter. I dont have good luck with that feature myself plus i feel new threads are what keeps the forum alive. I would do what many of us do and get a quality holster for each pistol, train with them both and alternate between the two. Realistically either pistol will serve equally well if called upon.

Thanks bripro, I actually have a crossbreed supertuck for each of them and find them both equally comfortable to carry. That is another reason why this is really touch for me to decide. I mean it's not a big deal and it is, it's not because there both good choices, but it is because it could mean life or death.

(Lancaster County)

In my opinion you can stop a threat equally well with sixteen rounds of 9mm or ten rounds of .45. Do you carry an extra mag with each pistol? If so that eliminates the lower capacity factor. From my reading and digging I found MOST self defense shootings used five or less rounds.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northampton County)

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm a but biased towards the .45 and am a fan of the xdm's but would never feel "outgunned" with the g19. As I do just alternate between the pieces you carry as you please. You really can't go wrong with either.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    In my opinion you can stop a threat equally well with sixteen rounds of 9mm or ten rounds of .45. Do you carry an extra mag with each pistol? If so that eliminates the lower capacity factor. From my reading and digging I found MOST self defense shootings used five or less rounds.
    I really should carry an extra mag, but in all honesty I don't normally end up carrying one. It is something I know I should do, but normally is just does not happen. So that makes the capacity of each firearm all the more important to me.

(Lancaster County)

Understood. My current carry is a Kahr PM9. It has seven total rounds of 9mm. Obviously Im comfortable with that round. I also feel the seven in the gun and one extra mag will get me out of any situation a handgun is capable of getting me out of.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast