Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to firearms

(Montgomery County)

Default New to firearms

After 8 years in the Navy with very limited gun uses and 15 years of defend right to own a gun I decided it was time to get my first handgun. Last week I took my first shooter NRA class. I spent the last three weeks researching guns. The gun that seem to come up over and over again is the M&P 9mm. The M&P 9 just feels right in my hand. I guess my bigest worry is the same worry as most newbies have that is the recoil. How different is the recoil from a .22 to 9mm? Also what do you think of M&P 9? What a goos price for M&P 9 (the price seem to be 549 to 570). What is a good gun with little recoil? What is a good first time gun? What is a good conceal carry gun? Lot of question, thank you all for your help.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New to firearms

The recoil difference between a 22 and 9 is going to be quite a bit. The 22 basically has no recoil at all, and the 9 is going to kick, but not badly. Any modern, mid-size hand gun like the M&P should be comfortable to shoot. While I have not personally shot the M&P, I have a Ruger SR9C, which is somewhat along the same lines of construction. I could shoot it all day. It's consistent and accurate and does not bother my hands or wrists at all. Don't worry about recoil. If you were buying a little pocket pistol chambered in 9, you may have a bit of a learning curve, but it sounds like you're not going that route. A 22 is great for cheap target shooting and practice, but the 9 would be nice for home defense or concealed carry (If you're a larger built fella.) since it shoots a considerably larger bullet than a 22.

Any full size 9mm will have more recoil than a .22, but its pretty manageable IMO. I owned a M&P9 Full size, and I thought the recoil was very light, but I am used to shooting larger calibers. If the M&P fits you well, I'd say go for it, its a well made pistol, reliable, very accurate, and has a large mag capacity to boot. There are other good choices to be had in 9mm as well, quite a few in fact. Ruger P95/SR9, Sig SP2022, XD9, Beretta M9/PX4, CZ75B, and Glock to name a few. If you plan to use this pistol purely as a range toy, you could go for a revolver as well. A 6" .38 special will have less recoil than most 9mms, and is more fun to shoot IMO. Lots and lots of different choices. My best advise is to handle and shoot as many as you can before you make up your mind, and pick whatever suits you best.

(Philadelphia County)

CZ-75 all the way. They feel great in the hands, are accurate enough, 16 round mags, all steel and built like a tank.

(Westmoreland County)

Find a local range that rents handguns and see if they have the M&P 9 in stock to try. Many places with indoor ranges have this.

I don't always do this but it is a good way to try before you buy if you're concerned about making a purchase you won't like.

(Chester County)

I love my M&P 9. Feels great in my hand and shoots like a champ with high reliability. I could probably bury it and dig it up months later without missing a beat.

SwampFoxZ71 is right though - go try out different pistols to compare.

I own a few 22's. Great fun, especially the ruger MKiii and S&W 22A. I also have a CZ75 p01 and a S&W Shield 9mm. Shield a defense gun. CZ great fun but... if you LIKE to shoot, a 22 is economical and a lot less tiring to shoot for an hour.

(Delaware County)

M&P is a nice gun. I have 2. They make various models. They have the full size which are easier to shoot, they also make the M&P pro series which are what I prefer.
    They can be a challenge to completely conceal in warmer weather, but hide quite easily under a jacket.
    They also make the M&Pc which is smaller, but I like full size handguns. Easy to maintain and take down for cleaning.

Another option would be buying a 40S&W caliber and later getting a 9mm conversion barrel for it. As soon as the 9mm mags become available, I'll buy a 9mm barrel for one of my 40s. Kinda like having 2 guns in one.

Your probably pretty close to Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club. You might look into joining there. I shoot USPSA up there once a month, nice club.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Bucks County)

I have a M&P 40, which is my first handgun I have ever owned. Recoil is not bad at all for being a 40 and I have small hands... When I was looking, it's the only one that felt great in my hand, easy to shoot and to take down.

(Allegheny County)

I think out of the big three polymer service pistols, Glock, M&P, and XD. The M&P handles recoil the best. My assumption is its low bore axis and ergonomic grip.

I think anyone fit enough to serve in the military would not have any recoil issue with any full size firearm in any popular caliber. However if you are recoil sensitive 9 mm is going to be your best bet. I'f your very recoil sensitive an all steel firearm like the CZ or Sig may be better.

The only downside I see to a CZ is they are not as popular so there is less aftermarket support for them. They are great guns to shoot though.

I do know that there are .22 conversions for both Glock and CZ. S&W makes a .22 version of the M&P and APEX is working on a M&P .22 conversion. Not sure about the XD models.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast