Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Lower providence Rod and gun club

I would like to join the Lower providence Rod and gun club. I live very close to the club. I'm a new gun owner. I've been on to their website but I'm looking for someone who belongs to the club. Is there anyone who belong to Lower providence gun and rod club that could tell me a little bit about it? Also must join the gun and rifle separately?

Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

Hello Nick,

I am a member or LPRGC. It is a nice club, with many knowledgeable people. It is very safety oriented and offers many different courses and activities. When you join, you are a member for all aspects, not just rifle or pistol or archery.

With that said, before shooting anything, you must qualify. There is an indoor range qualification, which is good for the 25 yard pistol range as well. There is also a rifle range qualification. While the ability to hit paper with your firearm is important, safe actions with the firearm are paramount during qualification. The members who run these qualifications are very patient and will explain everything to you and work with you if you have issues or are unsure about something.

The facilities are varied and include rifle, pistol, archery, crossbow ranges and trap shooting. IMHO, the only problem that I have is that in order to do any kind of action/holster drawing or rifle shooting from any position other than seat at the bench, you must complete separate qualifications. Before you can do that, you must take certain courses, as detailed on the website.

Good luck. It really is a nice club and with it's convenient location, well worth the money.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post
    I hope this is the right place to post this if not please tell me and I'll be more than happy to repost it in the correct location. I'm a Newbie to handouts. I was in the Navy but had very few opportunities to actually use a hand. I went to the range today and found that I was Sighting the target, Squeezing the trigger, and the proper stance. The problem I Am have is follow through. Once I Squeeze the trigger it seems like my recoil is distracted me. Can anyone suggest a good technique that I can better concentrate on my follow through with? Thank you in advance for your help, Nicholas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post
    I would like to join the Lower providence Rod and gun club. I live very close to the club. I'm a new gun owner. I've been on to their website but I'm looking for someone who belongs to the club. Is there anyone who belong to Lower providence gun and rod club that could tell me a little bit about it? Also must join the gun and rifle separately?
    Hi Nick,

I’ve been a member of LPRGC for 35+ years and can tell you that it is a great club. You will definitely get help with your pistol shooting as we have a very active pistol group – along with rifle, shotgun and archery.

As a member, you can take advantage of the pistol clinic offered once a month where you’ll receive one-on-one coaching. In addition, we still have a few spots remaining in our July Basic Pistol class.

Come out to the general meeting on the first Tuesday of the month and you can sign up. You probably should get there around 6:30 as the lines are rather long lately.

All the information that you need can be found on our web site at http://www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com/

Bill

(Chester County)

Hi Nick,

I joined LPRGC about 3 years ago as a brand new shooter. I have found the club to be a tremendous resource. They organize classes and clinics for members that give you regular opportunities for training in pistol, rifle, and trap (not sure about archery). The instructors are all very helpful and, as stated earlier, very safety oriented.

The club is family friendly and female friendly. I shoot there with my wife and she loves the atmosphere and support she gets from the more knowledgeable shooters.

As stated above, come to the next general meeting (June 4th) and check it out. There will be reports from the various groups (pistol, rifle, trap, archery, hunter/trapper, ...) that will give you a sense of what's going on, and lots of people to answer your questions.

Steve

(Montgomery County)

I too am thinking of joining Lower Providence and am planning on coming out June 4th. though I've heard that one needs a sponser to join... is this true?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RedMusik413 View Post
    I too am thinking of joining Lower Providence and am planning on coming out June 4th. though I've heard that one needs a sponser to join... is this true?
    You will not have any problem getting a sponsor at the meeting.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by RedMusik413 View Post
    Just show up a little early for the meeting...say 6:00 or 6:15 and engage in some conversation. Most anyone there will sponsor you. You wanna get there early so you don't have to stand in line too long. They have been having alot of new members in recent months.

(Montgomery County)

I am a newbie shooter looking for a place to hone my shooting skills and gain more info about various shooting activities. I have taken an NRA basic shooting class and I belong to a girls' shooting club called A Girl and a Gun. I attended a recent IDPA match with a friend who was participating and I would like to know what lprgc can offer us girls

I have read some negative posts on this forum about the way people have been treated when inquiring information. I emailed requesting some information on the club, but got no response....should I see that as a red flag? Is it possible for someone to have a tour of the club range and grounds and talk to someone about what the club offers.

Thank you for your time.

Cheryl

(Montgomery County)

Most of your questions can be answered by visiting the club website at www.lprgc.org

This coming Tuesday is the General membership meeting. This is when you could start the sign up process.. Attend two meetings, work party and orientation to become a full member.

I have a couple friends that attend the Girl and gun events and enjoyed them a lot. LP doesn't really have anything female oriented.. Yet, you could start up something .. But, if you are safe, most people are very nice and will offer help.

There isn't any type of tour offered prior to joining, but you can PM me here and I could meet up at the club and show you around, or answer any other questions you might have.

Not sure on the negative stuff. I know the biggest complaint is the action pistol stuff. You need to take two classes at LP and pass a yearly qualifier to be action qualified. They are very anal about safety, I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

I belong to Kimberton Fish & Game, and I have met a good number of former LP members. I won't go into too much detail, but the two biggest negatives I've heard concern an "Old Boy" network and an overly rigid atmosphere.
    Just sayin'.........

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast