Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Most of your questions can be answered by visiting the club website at www.lprgc.org

    This coming Tuesday is the General membership meeting. This is when you could start the sign up process.. Attend two meetings, work party and orientation to become a full member.

    I have a couple friends that attend the Girl and gun events and enjoyed them a lot. LP doesn't really have anything female oriented.. Yet, you could start up something .. But, if you are safe, most people are very nice and will offer help.

    There isn't any type of tour offered prior to joining, but you can PM me here and I could meet up at the club and show you around, or answer any other questions you might have.

    Not sure on the negative stuff. I know the biggest complaint is the action pistol stuff. You need to take two classes at LP and pass a yearly qualifier to be action qualified. They are very anal about safety, I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not.

    Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate the club wanting everyone to be safe, but I question the need for so many qualifications...is it truly for safety or for getting more money from new recruits? I would want to know the costs of all potential qualifications before joining. Just curious... at the general meetings, why would a club member sponsor someone they don't even know? Thank you for your offer for the tour...I may take you up on that on a Tuesday that I don't have prior commitments

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wayne, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    The dues at LPRGC are $150 a year and there is a one time initial fee of $150 and a one time $5 charge for your electronic swipe card that gives you access to the clubhouse. It doesn't cost anything else to use the club ranges/facilities. Just bring your gun,ammo and targets and clean up after yourself. There are basic qualifications which must be passed to use the rifle and pistol ranges but there is no charge for these shoots. We run clinics for both rifle and pistol which are also free for members. All the instructors are NRA certified. If you have problems passing the basic range qualification tests, instructors will work with you at either/both the pistol and rifle clinics.

    What does cost extra is the NRA pistol and rifle courses which we offer. The pistol courses are only required if you want to shoot with the Tuesday night action pistol group. You also have to be action qualified (which requires the courses and an annual qualification) if you wish to shoot action pistol on your own. Since this type of shooting is rather advanced the club wants to make sure that everyone who does this type of shooting on our range has the skill to be safe. An action pistol qualification allows you to draw from a holster and shoot while moving.

    Check out our website www.LPRGC.org.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    king of prussia, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    9834461

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    I belong to Kimberton Fish & Game, and I have met a good number of former LP members. I won't go into too much detail, but the two biggest negatives I've heard concern an "Old Boy" network and an overly rigid atmosphere.
    Just sayin'.........

    I totaly agree. I joined, did the work and all that and left in a hurry within about 4 months. They had elected a new board and boy they thought they were gods.

    I go shooting to have fun and enjoy my time off not to listen to a bunch of people that think they are the rulers of earth. I am all for safety and have no issues at all with rules that make sense. But the new "president" one day actualy yelled at me in front of my kids because I was getting in my car before signing out the book?? I was just getting in and drive to the location were they have the sign in book. It was then that I told them to go pound bricks and they would not get another dollar from me. It is also an old club that needs to be modernized. Its old and it looks the part.

    Anyway good luck with your choice maybe things have changed there, but I would be surprised. I go to French creek, I have to pay by the hour but at least I can enjoy it.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montco
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    453457

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    I totaly agree. I joined, did the work and all that and left in a hurry within about 4 months. They had elected a new board and boy they thought they were gods.

    I go shooting to have fun and enjoy my time off not to listen to a bunch of people that think they are the rulers of earth. I am all for safety and have no issues at all with rules that make sense. But the new "president" one day actualy yelled at me in front of my kids because I was getting in my car before signing out the book?? I was just getting in and drive to the location were they have the sign in book. It was then that I told them to go pound bricks and they would not get another dollar from me. It is also an old club that needs to be modernized. Its old and it looks the part.

    Anyway good luck with your choice maybe things have changed there, but I would be surprised. I go to French creek, I have to pay by the hour but at least I can enjoy it.
    In all fairness, you can't really compare the services at FC with what LPRGC offers. I agree that the safety stuff is a bit nutty and the course requirements too, but the facilities and available ranges are not even close. I have been to FC before, and I didn't really find it all that enjoyable, but that might just be me. At the club, I can take my time, hang out, take a break...all without paying more (I also think LPRGCs dues are a bit out there, but it's the price I pay for something close to home with every kind of range I want to use.) If you only shoot once per month at FC, you could easily cover the costs of a membership at LPRGC, especially if there is more than just you going.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by Labman View Post
    The dues at LPRGC are $150 a year and there is a one time initial fee of $150 and a one time $5 charge for your electronic swipe card that gives you access to the clubhouse. It doesn't cost anything else to use the club ranges/facilities. Just bring your gun,ammo and targets and clean up after yourself. There are basic qualifications which must be passed to use the rifle and pistol ranges but there is no charge for these shoots. We run clinics for both rifle and pistol which are also free for members. All the instructors are NRA certified. If you have problems passing the basic range qualification tests, instructors will work with you at either/both the pistol and rifle clinics.

    What does cost extra is the NRA pistol and rifle courses which we offer. The pistol courses are only required if you want to shoot with the Tuesday night action pistol group. You also have to be action qualified (which requires the courses and an annual qualification) if you wish to shoot action pistol on your own. Since this type of shooting is rather advanced the club wants to make sure that everyone who does this type of shooting on our range has the skill to be safe. An action pistol qualification allows you to draw from a holster and shoot while moving.

    Check out our website www.LPRGC.org.
    Costs seem reasonable...but what is the one time $150 for?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Wink Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    I totaly agree. I joined, did the work and all that and left in a hurry within about 4 months. They had elected a new board and boy they thought they were gods.

    I go shooting to have fun and enjoy my time off not to listen to a bunch of people that think they are the rulers of earth. I am all for safety and have no issues at all with rules that make sense. But the new "president" one day actualy yelled at me in front of my kids because I was getting in my car before signing out the book?? I was just getting in and drive to the location were they have the sign in book. It was then that I told them to go pound bricks and they would not get another dollar from me. It is also an old club that needs to be modernized. Its old and it looks the part.

    Anyway good luck with your choice maybe things have changed there, but I would be surprised. I go to French creek, I have to pay by the hour but at least I can enjoy it.
    I totally understand your frustration as I have been in those types of environments before. Some people really need to hone their people skills. However, another way to look at things is if the club offers the things you like why not just use it to hang out with your friends and family to shoot...and just stay out of the pissing contests. If the environment needs updating why not stay and try to become a board member down the road and make some changes. If others feel the same as you, maybe the Old Boys will eventually be voted out...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    king of prussia, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    9834461

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    In all fairness, you can't really compare the services at FC with what LPRGC offers. I agree that the safety stuff is a bit nutty and the course requirements too, but the facilities and available ranges are not even close. I have been to FC before, and I didn't really find it all that enjoyable, but that might just be me. At the club, I can take my time, hang out, take a break...all without paying more (I also think LPRGCs dues are a bit out there, but it's the price I pay for something close to home with every kind of range I want to use.) If you only shoot once per month at FC, you could easily cover the costs of a membership at LPRGC, especially if there is more than just you going.

    Its not about the cost. I would pay three times that if the time spent there was enjoyable. I most definately agree with you that there are some very nice club members. I am not even comparing the two to each other. I am however stating that the administration there is comprised of a bunch of people that think they have some kind of regal power. I can understand the safety rules to a point, I can understand the requirements for taking some courses, although they should not be mandate if one must pay for it. I cannot understand who gives them the right to yell and threaten someone with suspension of club privileges when the only thing I did was getting into my car so that I could drive to the club house and sign out. The person is lucky my kids were with me and I did not wanted to make something of it otherwise one of us would have been checking in with a doctor. The club is also old and needs to be remodelled especially for what they are charging for the membership and the different mandate courses, also with a hefty charge.

    Like you said FC might not be all that as far as conveniences, but at least I can shoot in peace with my sons and still find some friends to talk about guns with, without some jack wanting to prove that he is all that.

    Maybe some day when all the morones have left, I will join again, but for now you can enjoy those people without me.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montco
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    453457

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    Its not about the cost. I would pay three times that if the time spent there was enjoyable. I most definately agree with you that there are some very nice club members. I am not even comparing the two to each other. I am however stating that the administration there is comprised of a bunch of people that think they have some kind of regal power. I can understand the safety rules to a point, I can understand the requirements for taking some courses, although they should not be mandate if one must pay for it. I cannot understand who gives them the right to yell and threaten someone with suspension of club privileges when the only thing I did was getting into my car so that I could drive to the club house and sign out. The person is lucky my kids were with me and I did not wanted to make something of it otherwise one of us would have been checking in with a doctor. The club is also old and needs to be remodelled especially for what they are charging for the membership and the different mandate courses, also with a hefty charge.

    Like you said FC might not be all that as far as conveniences, but at least I can shoot in peace with my sons and still find some friends to talk about guns with, without some jack wanting to prove that he is all that.

    Maybe some day when all the morones have left, I will join again, but for now you can enjoy those people without me.
    I am sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy yourself because of this person. I guess I am lucky that I haven't run into any of these issues. I generally go at times that are not too busy and usually have the place to myself (and my guest or two.) I must say that I think this guy is probably the exception, not the standard. I took my brother with me one day so he could try out his new compound bow. He had never shot one before. Long story short, he shot an arrow over the wall at the end of the archery range (partly his fault, partly the target stands fault.) This occurred right after we shot and IDPA match and there were a lot of people around. A few of the folks who are committee heads/board members were there. Talked to us kindly and respectfully about what happened and even helped look for his arrow. They understood what happened was an accident and just wanted to be sure that nobody had been hurt. They handled it very well.

    With that said, I have run into a few people who have rubbed me the wrong way, but I just go on about my business.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    king of prussia, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    9834461

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLab5 View Post
    I totally understand your frustration as I have been in those types of environments before. Some people really need to hone their people skills. However, another way to look at things is if the club offers the things you like why not just use it to hang out with your friends and family to shoot...and just stay out of the pissing contests. If the environment needs updating why not stay and try to become a board member down the road and make some changes. If others feel the same as you, maybe the Old Boys will eventually be voted out...


    while you make a lot of sense, unfortunaly it does not apply to this location. First you can be on the range minding your business and someone approaches you wanting to show you how to do things.
    I went there about a dozen of times to shoot and almost everytime there was someone there telling me how great the courses are and how I would benefit from taking them. Also there seem to be the core group and then all the others. I was shooting inside once when this guy walks in and tells us that he in on the board of directors and that he needs to close the range because he was going to do some testing for some qualifications that he was taking that weekend.
    Another time someone yelled at me because I double tapped the target on the open range.

    My joining the club was not about having to fight to make changes to it, I honestly don't care one bit about who owns or what they do there, I joined because they have shooting ranges and I like to go shooting. Period. I do not partecipate in any events, or parties or whatever. I paid them to let me use their space. They can keep all the competitions, courses, medalls or whatever. I am not interested, I have never in my civilian life competed in any shooting events. Don't need them or want them. I just want to go shooting my own way and so far FC works for me. Maybe some day I'll find another club that leaves people to their own thing, with safety in mind of course.
    Last edited by comsubin61; January 6th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    king of prussia, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    9834461

    Default Re: Lower providence Rod and gun club

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy yourself because of this person. I guess I am lucky that I haven't run into any of these issues. I generally go at times that are not too busy and usually have the place to myself (and my guest or two.) I must say that I think this guy is probably the exception, not the standard. I took my brother with me one day so he could try out his new compound bow. He had never shot one before. Long story short, he shot an arrow over the wall at the end of the archery range (partly his fault, partly the target stands fault.) This occurred right after we shot and IDPA match and there were a lot of people around. A few of the folks who are committee heads/board members were there. Talked to us kindly and respectfully about what happened and even helped look for his arrow. They understood what happened was an accident and just wanted to be sure that nobody had been hurt. They handled it very well.

    With that said, I have run into a few people who have rubbed me the wrong way, but I just go on about my business.


    You are absolutely right. There are some very nice people there and I am friend with some of them. However there are quite of few that are not. My time is precious to me as I don't have too much of it, so I don't want to deal with people on their term. I just want to have fun.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club?
    By JLStorm in forum Ranges
    Replies: 227
    Last Post: June 14th, 2018, 09:37 AM
  2. Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club - any good?
    By KnightZero in forum Ranges
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: January 4th, 2015, 08:53 PM
  3. Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club
    By JLeahy in forum Ranges
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2013, 09:04 PM
  4. USPSA: Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club (03/02/13)
    By wwhite72082 in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 5th, 2013, 01:42 AM
  5. Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club
    By volanova in forum Lehigh Valley & Philadelphia Region
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops