Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Talking Looking for input on which gun to SELL!

OK - New guy to the forum, but not to the firearms life. I have three firearms in my collection and one has to go. Of the three, the two that are on the block are my Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops Carry TB .45ACP and my Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD 9mm. To different styles of pistol in two different calibers.

So here's my dilemma. It'd be easy if I had 2 1911's to chose from or 2 9mm striker fired polymer pistols to chose from, but I don't. Each of these beauties has its own unique charm and place in the world. However, I shoot both equally good, both are equally reliable (in my experience with these exact pistols) and both fall in love in my hand. Whichever gun I am holding at the moment is the one I want to keep. That's the challenge. I will say that the purpose of this pistol is A.) to run with my can (hence why both are threaded barreled versions B.) my nightstand, carry & range gun. And I know you will ask, so my other weapon is an AR (not going anywhere). Bottom line, one of the pistols has to go!

Here is what I have into each gun so far in terms of $:

1.) Sig = $1100 pistol, $75 piston, $73 for 2 spare mags = $1248
    2.) Walther = $589 pistol, $85 piston, $302 non-threaded barrel = $976

Here is my cross comparison in terms of points good & bad for each:

Perks of Sig = awesome looking, even weight dist. with can, works with my light & can together, .45ACP, night sights, uses standard 230gr ammo for can, external safeties (a plus for my style), crisp trigger, good resale (or is that a negative in this case?), easier sight acquisition & I prefer this grip angle

Negs of Sig = Heavy, only 8+1, no spare barrel, not ideal for carry, can I trust my life to a 1911?, ammo costs more, 1911 field stripping, mags are hard to load to 8 and even harder to unload.

Perks of Walther = cool looking, light weight, nice grip, ultra reliable, great trigger, very carry-able, 15+1, I have standard barrel for additional concealment, gets back on target easier & faster than sig, cheap ammo, is all james bond-like with the can, easier to clean than sig, simple takedown, mags are easy as pie to load & unload

Negs of Walther = 9mm, grip is comfortable but slippery, needs pricier & harder to find 147gr ammo to work with can, front end heavy with can, doesn't feed reliably with the can & light together, sights are garbage for all reasons, kinda boring. Gonna get hosed on resale.

There you have it....I appreciate the input guys. Thanks

PS: my personal opinion on 9mm vs .45 is just that, my opinion. I love both calibers for different reasons. This is not a caliber debate, hence why I am torn. I like .45 bullets better but I also like large capacity (15+) mags better. Its never ending. Lastly, please don't say sell both, buy a g21 or xd45 and pocket the dough. I've been through everything from beretta to glock to xd to other 1911s, S&W's, other walthers, HKs, etc. These are my two favorites pistols gained from years of trading and buying and selling and buying. Nothing else out there interests me.
    Last edited by epanerai12; May 15th, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    That's a smith & Wesson....and you've had your six

Default Re: Looking for input on which gun to SELL!

Quote Originally Posted by epanerai12 View Post
    Lastly, please don't say sell both, buy a g21 and pocket the dough.
    OK...sell the third gun, keep both on the block, and you're...(couldn't resist, dude)

I like 1911's, so I'm a little biased, but, I'd keep the one you can carry the easiest since there are man stopper 9mm cartridges out there, and you will have almost twice as many. Don't let the boring thing affect your decision. If the SHTF, it'll likely not be boring, too much. Heck, you can always get a less expensive 1911, later. The companies building them, now, are putting out some good stuff for under $500.
    Last edited by harold63; May 15th, 2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: reworded
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Crawford County)

Simple decision...sell the one you shoot/carry the least.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Northampton County)

Why do you need to part with it? If its that you need the money if so sell the one you can get most out of or is easier to replace. If its just that you don't see the need in having to autos sell the one that does the less of the things you require wether it be reliable or cost to shot thats up to you. But if it was me I would keep the Sig but thats just my opinion.

(Schuylkill County)

Tough call, glad I don't have to make it. Flip a quarter maybe.... I would keep the Sig as I never really had a Walther catch my eye. I know they're decent guns, know quite a few people who own them. Like I said they just don't do it for me. That out of the way I agree totally with brsims. Keep whichever one you tend to reach for first for a carry gun.

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys...good points all around.... Here's a few adds ons

- Walther has no external safeties which is why I stopped carrying these type of pistols and spare mags are ridiculously expensive and nearly impossible to find right now.

As a litmus test, I put both on armslist and both got lost of hits in the past hour. In terms of taking the least loss, your valued input, and my own assessment, it looks like the PPQ is going bye bye.

Did I mention that sig no longer makes my particular pistol. Add another point for that.

Now I just need to find a good carry holster for the siggy.

(Allegheny County)

That point may go the other way if Sig stops making parts for your model of pistol, if they haven't already.

(Montgomery County)

Hmm. Hard decision, but I'd look at from a practicality point of view. SIG is the more established of the two names. If those guns are out there, I'm sure they are going to support them. Your points about the Walther are warented and I do understand the desire to have a large capacity magazine. In the end, the issue is about shot placement and accuracy. Sounds like you shoot the SIG better than the Walther. I tend to favor 1911s and well and carry one regularly. It is the gun that I shoot the best. Granted, I've had more time behind the 1911 than any other, although I love the M&Ps. Regardless, I like big bullets. People take it personal when they can see themselves leaking. So, since 50% of our trained skill is lost under durress, I like to know I have them available. In the end, you need to decide what you want to accomplish... what purpose do these two guns play in your life and judge them based on a practical approach.

Example - I love the M&Ps and would live a Shield, however I can't justify it because I have a 3" compact 1911 which is my EDC. It's not much bigger than the Shield and it holds the same number of bigger rounds. Essentially, for my wallet right now, I can't justify the purchase based on utility. If money were not an option, I'd be all over that as it would be avaialble when I wanted to shoot it. Perhaps one day, but not now.

(Susquehanna County)

Unless you're in money trouble and the need the cash to pay for a new kidney or something, don't sell the guns! I guarantee whichever one you sell, sometime in the near future you'll miss and wish you still had it. I'm guessing both these guns are all paid for and except for ammunition and do-dads don't cost anything to keep.

If anything, get a bigger gun-safe!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

so...I went to the range last night and blew lots of holes in zombie pizza delivery men. I figured i'd vet it out there.

sorry to waste to everyones time, but I am keeping both!!!!

selling nothing, keeping everything. probably gonna buy something too. Any suggestions? nah jk, not opening that can of worms.

Thanks everyone, glad to be here and thanks for all the welcome input.

on a side note, if you don't own a suppressor, you are really missing out. the only thing better than the fun of shooting is the fun of seeing people lean into my booth to check out what I have going on, and I love the conversations.

be well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast