Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Set-screws at Home Depot?

Has anyone found out where Home Depot hides the set-screws? I asked a couple employees there, and they didn't know what I was talking about. I couldn't find any in the aisle with the wood and machine screws, and I find it hard to believe that there are none in that big warehouse.

The Mom and Pop shops I tried know what they are, but don't stock them.

Default Re: Set-screws at Home Depot?

I once had to find a set screw at Home depot, almost went wild they sold me a machine and it was missing a screw! Sales man took one off an other machine and gave it to me...

Might look on th einternet pending on what you need, you might find some thing there, http://www.smallparts.com has set screws with ball...

And regular set screws.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Hmm. I guess that means they're not just hiding them, then.

I'll check MSC, and etc. for the screws, and try not to spend too much more on tools while I'm at it.

(Blair County)

I would guess that have to have them somewhere. I've bought 5/16-18 x 1" and 1/4-20x1/2" at home depot before. Maybe it's just your store.

What sizes do you need? I have tons of variety here.
    Last edited by ScooterKrunch; January 4th, 2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added question

(Berks County)

Hell my true value hardware store by me has every screw, bolt, nut known to man.

I can't believe they dont have it in the hardware aisle...usually in the pull out drawers?

(Perry County)

A lot of people go to Lowes and Home Depot (including me), but I find that, for specialized items, your average hardware store like Ace is still better. Just this week, I needed a new pulley for my table saw. A simple 2 1/4-2 1/2" "A" belt pulley for a 5/8" shaft. I went to Lowes and Home Depot...neither carry pulleys. I also stopped by a few auto parts stores...nope. I ended up going to the local Ace Hardware on lunch the other day and they had plenty of them. For most things, Lowes and Home Depot are fine. For other things, the smaller chains are still better.

Dave G.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterKrunch View Post
    I would guess that have to have them somewhere. I've bought 5/16-18 x 1" and 1/4-20x1/2" at home depot before. Maybe it's just your store.

What sizes do you need? I have tons of variety here.
    4-40 and 6-32, for making triggers adjustable.

I found 1/4" set screws somewhere, the Home Depot maybe, but that's the smallest I've seen, and that's too big to fit.

McMaster Carr has them, of course, but I'll check Pep Boys and one more shop before I give up and mail order.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    4-40 and 6-32, for making triggers adjustable.

I found 1/4" set screws somewhere, the Home Depot maybe, but that's the smallest I've seen, and that's too big to fit.

McMaster Carr has them, of course, but I'll check Pep Boys and one more shop before I give up and mail order.
    I had a hard time finding 4-40 set screws for may AR lowers and ended up buying from McMaster Carr. The Part Number is 91375A103. If you only need a few send me note and I can mail you some. Otherwise just order 100. Its cheap enough.

Lowes and HD carry pretty much the same items. If you are looking for a particular screw I'd suggest Brownell's or Midway or locally the Sear's hardware store. Sears has a better selection, but it's not great. MSC should also have what you are looking for, but don't count on Lowes or HD.

(Blair County)

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Before you mail-order, try Grainger I remember one somewhere in DE county. They are most places where you need them. Another option is Fastenal. Both websites have store locators. I would suspect one of them is near you. If neither one has what you want they can usually have it for you next day, no extra cost. You could always try NAPA, but they are harder to find down there. I'm lucky enough to be sitting within 5 minutes of two major NAPA warehouses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast