Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Opinions of the Star Firestar Model 43

My brother gave me this pistol for my birthday a few years ago and it has been sitting in my lockbox ever since, I just never took the time to get it transferred into my name..

Well today we did it, on the way home from the Gun Show at the Arden Fair Grounds in Washington, PA.

I took the gun to the range and put maybe 50-60 rounds through it, just to get a feel for it..

This is a compact 9mm, and it is REALLY heavy, not uncomfortable to shoot, but I can't see carrying this one..

I have the two new Glocks, and I will be carrying the Glock 23, but the Star is cheaper to shoot and nice for plinking..

Anyway, It operated very smoothly and had no issues with it..

I am curious to see if anyone here has experience, and/or opinions of this little gun

Dave
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; April 20th, 2008 at 10:51 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Opinions of the Star Firestar Model 43

I had one several years ago. Mine was blued, but the Starvel finish was, IMHO, nicer.
    These are nice little guns, but as you wrote, pretty heavy, so it's not a pocket gun.
    I sold mine to buy an early Kahr MK9 (which is also too heavy for a pocket pistol, BTW).

Star has been out of business for many years. It's my understanding that parts can be difficult to obtain. I don't think the gun has any collector's value either. But, as I wrote...nice little guns!

Had one several years ago and let it get away. Mine shot good, felt good and was vwery reliable.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Washington County)

It seems to be in good condition.. I originally considered trading it in on the Glock(s), but my dealer told me it was no longer made, and I would be better off keeping it, or selling it outright.. After thinking about it, I decided to keep it..

The heaviness is nice when shooting, 9mm recoil is negligible in this gun.. very shootable..

If the damn grip was a little longer it would fit my hand perfectly... I have seen them with a little grip extension on them, but mine is flush with the handle..

Dave
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; April 21st, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

MAnyu moons ago I had a blued Firestar in .45acp. You are dead right about it bering a little brick. I carried it on duty until the department issued Beretta 96Ds but soon after traded it. It was a pleasure to fire in .45ACP so I would venture to say that it would be a dream in .9mm. If you can afford it I would suggest keeping it since it's from an era of manufacturing honesty and integrity that brought us so many excellent pistols. If you would rather sell it I have seen 4 in my favorite gun shop in New Hampshire, so there is still a workable market for them.

(Montgomery County)

I still have mine in .40 S&W with Starvel finish. It's an accurate and pleasant firearm to shoot. I was going to sell it to get a M&P for carry but the wife likes to shoot it so I'm going to keep it and wait a little longer to purchase the M&P.

JB

(Erie County)

I've had the Firestar and the Firestar Plus. I should have kept them both. They were both extremely reliable, easy to shoot pistols. The all steel Firestar weighs around 30 oz. empty, the alum. frame Plus went about 28 oz empty but felt a lot lighter. Wish I had at least one of them back.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
    I still have mine in .40 S&W with Starvel finish. It's an accurate and pleasant firearm to shoot. I was going to sell it to get a M&P for carry but the wife likes to shoot it so I'm going to keep it and wait a little longer to purchase the M&P.

JB

Are you sure it's a .40? I thought these were only made in 9mm (model 43) and .45ACP (model 45).

(Montgomery County)

Been shooting it since I bought it new. It's a .40. Side of the box is marked: STAR M40 FIRESTAR STVL CAL 40 S&W

HTH
    JB

(Westmoreland County)

I have a M40 (.40), it's a tank. I carry it frequently, I don't mind the weight and i use a pocket holster most of the time. It shoots great with everything I throw in it. I shoot it better than my glock 23 also. For the money, this is a great little gun. I think they are still made but fell into the Clinton world of politics and no longer alllowed to be imported.
    NRA Life

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast