Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Have Shield. Do i want a RAMI instead?

I waited and got a 9mm M&P Shield. Solid, very nice piece. Have maybe 100 rounds through it and need to shoot it some more. FLawless so far. For some reason, I am increasingly drawn to hammer fired pistols and, as an owner of a CZ75 P01, started looking at the specs on the RAMI. I know they are thicker than the Shield. I have never seen one on person. Anyone shoot both and have comments?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Have Shield. Do i want a RAMI instead?

I have a CZ RAMI alloy-framed.40. I had it worked over by CZ Custom. It's thick and chunky and not as comfortable to conceal as I would like. As a result, it sits in my gun cabinet.
    The first one to use the word "sheeple" automatically loses the argument.

I have a 9mm RAMI and it shoots great considering the barrel lenght, but it's a bit heavy and wide as others have mentioned. If you don't mind the weight, it's a great choice it holds 10 or 14 rounds depending on which mag you use.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Demko View Post
    I have a CZ RAMI alloy-framed.40. I had it worked over by CZ Custom. It's thick and chunky and not as comfortable to conceal as I would like. As a result, it sits in my gun cabinet.
    ^^^^^This. I have several CZ pistols. Love them. My daily carry is a 75D PCR, however, I looked at a 9MM RAMI, and while a tad smaller, just didn't do much to reduce the size. Now a single stack, alloy framed RAMI would be the bomb!

(Indiana County)

If your only desire in a pistol is that it has a hammer, then the CZ is a better choice.

If you want something smaller, thus easier for CC, that carries the same amount of rounds, keep the shield. If you don't mind the size of the RAMI get a M&P9c, pretty close dimensionally wise but carries almost 2x the rounds as the rami.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Now a single stack, alloy framed RAMI would be the bomb!
    I quite agree. I'd give up the extra rounds in exchange for an overall reduction in thickness. Don't know about the 9mm version, but loading the .40 double stack to capacity requires use of the loading tool or very strong fingers.

Overall, it does have a lot going for it. It's surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel. It holds a goodly number of rounds. It works smoothly, especially after CZ Custom got done with it. It just turned out not to fit in with how I carry. I probably ought to sell or trade it and get something I'll actually use.
    The first one to use the word "sheeple" automatically loses the argument.

When I started carrying, I carried an XD 9. After about 6 months I decided i wanted something smaller and started looking into alternatives. I also had a CZ-75B and loved it, so I began to consider the RAMI. I shot a RAMI a few times, and I have to say it shoots great. Although it is a lot smaller, it handles very similarly to my CZ-75B. However, as others have mentioned, it is still a very bulky and heavy gun. It didn't feel much lighter than my XD 9, and certainly wasn't any thinner.

So, from a shooting perspective, I love the RAMI. It handles great, is extremely accurate, and easy to shoot. But from a carry perspective, you end up with a heavy and bulky gun, that weighs about the same as a full sized polymer framed gun. Needless to say, I did not buy a RAMI to replace my XD 9 as my EDC.

Guess I will stay with the Shield.. Thanks.. Great input.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by djm3801 View Post
    Guess I will stay with the Shield.. Thanks.. Great input.
    Didn't mean to discourage you. I carry the PCR which is very similar to your P-01 but without the light rail. The RAMI, while a bit smaller than the PCR, just wasn't enough of a difference for me to get it. I am sure the RAMI would be a fine carry gun, as well as for range and home defense. However, if you want something a lot lighter, and smaller than your P-01, stick with the Shield for carry.

(Montgomery County)

+1 for single stack rami.