Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Dealer Question - Gun Locking Devices

I'm relatively new to being a firearms dealer and have an interesting question. This hasn't happened to me, yet. But, I wanted to ask everyone's input before it does happen to me. As far as Federal law goes, I know a dealer is only required to make locking devices "available" to purchasers of firearms. Under PA law (§6142 of the UFA), it seems to read that a dealer is not allowed to have a customer purchase a firearm unless he is given or sold a locking device.

With that said, has anyone ever had a customer say, "No, thanks. I don't want one." If so, are dealers still required to pretty much make them take one?

Also, would a lockable case in which a pistol comes with considered a "locking device"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Dealer Question - Gun Locking Devices

Quote Originally Posted by shademtarmory View Post
    I'm relatively new to being a firearms dealer and have an interesting question. This hasn't happened to me, yet. But, I wanted to ask everyone's input before it does happen to me. As far as Federal law goes, I know a dealer is only required to make locking devices "available" to purchasers of firearms. Under PA law (§6142 of the UFA), it seems to read that a dealer is not allowed to have a customer purchase a firearm unless he is given or sold a locking device.

With that said, has anyone ever had a customer say, "No, thanks. I don't want one." If so, are dealers still required to pretty much make them take one?

Also, would a lockable case in which a pistol comes with considered a "locking device"
    I'm not a dealer, but I was with someone that bought a used handgun from a LARGE retailer with no lock. Actually, they walked with him to the door handed him the handgun at the exit and said "have a great day". No box, no container, no lock, no nothing. It was used so I don't know if that matters.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Chester County)

I am just a consumer, but I have bought many guns, new and used, without any kind of lock.

Did the store do anything illegal in those instances? I have no ideal.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Snyder County)

I'm not TOO concerned about it, but the law does day that a dealer is supposed to give or sell a lock with every firearm purchased. The law doesn't say whether the firearm has to be new or used which leads me to believe that EVERY firearm sold by the dealer must include a lock. However, it is true that most manufacturers include a lock with the firearm. Some may not.

On the other side of it, it's only a summary offense to not include a lock with the firearm. I think that for those of you who weren't offered a gun lock; the dealer probably doesn't even know to offer one. Keep in mind this law doesn't apply to long guns, only to "firearms" as per the UFA.

Any other dealers out there know what I'm talking about?

I have been "offered" a lock at gunshows with purchase of handguns, they were the cheap ones the local sherrif passes out. I usualy just tell them I have a box full and he can keep them.

(Montgomery County)

target world gave me a free lock when i bought my rifle

(Dauphin County)

Of all the guns I've ever bought, only the ones that came from the manufacturer new in box were sold to me with locks. Ive never been forced to purchase one nor have I been given one with a firearm that did not have a lock.

YMMV

(Montgomery County)

I've had purchases that included locks and ones that did not.
    I have a bunch of them and find them quite handy. I think it would be a nice service to offer them to customers.

A cable lock will not stop anyone determined to get the gun and use it.
    They will deter the idle and curious from picking it up and killing themselves or someone near them.

Its a very small investment. Offer them to the customers.

(Crawford County)

Out of three separate gun purchases in the last few months, I've received exactly on gun lock, and that was the cable type that comes with new Smith and Wessons.

I wasn't even aware of any requirement concerning gun locks. Mine are never locked up.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Westmoreland County)

ATF regs state we as FFL dealers have to make a lock available with each handgun sold. I do. We are not forced to make the purchaser take them; though I had one compliance inspector get nasty about it. I told him the buyers don't want them for the most part and I'm not going to PO them by forcing the locks on them. He dropped the subject after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast