Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Concealed Permit Question

I need a photocopy of my last "Local 1% Earned Income Tax" form for the license to carry application. I've never heard of this. Most people can get in touch with Berkeimer's or the Central Tax Bureau for this information. The following townships (including mine) have their own collector: Chestnuthill, Eldred, Jackson, Polk and Ross. I contacted them and they didn't understand what I was talking about. They offered me the form to pay my taxes. I didn't know that I wasn't paying any taxes. I'm still not sure. It seems all I do is pay taxes.

Can someone explain this tax? How do I know if I paid it? They don't know. I don't know. Who knows? How can I get a record of it? I'll try again, maybe I'll get someone different next time.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Concealed Permit Question

I'm assuming this is being requested to confirm residency? If so, the provided info on the application (which you must sign affirming it is true) should suffice. There is no legal requirement to provide this form to the Sheriff's office. Ask him for the relevant statute that requires this info (hint - there is none). This is not a valid reason for denial, and denial can (and should) be challenged in court if denied for this reason - but, don't mention a legal appeal unless you're actually prepared to go through with it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    I need a photocopy of my last "Local 1% Earned Income Tax" form for the license to carry application. I've never heard of this. Most people can get in touch with Berkeimer's or the Central Tax Bureau for this information. The following townships (including mine) have their own collector: Chestnuthill, Eldred, Jackson, Polk and Ross. I contacted them and they didn't understand what I was talking about. They offered me the form to pay my taxes. I didn't know that I wasn't paying any taxes. I'm still not sure. It seems all I do is pay taxes.

Can someone explain this tax? How do I know if I paid it? They don't know. I don't know. Who knows? How can I get a record of it? I'll try again, maybe I'll get someone different next time.
    Just a thought...maybe your employer deducts this tax for you and sends it to the collector? Check your pay stub for "local tax" or "Local 1% Earned Income Tax".

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm assuming this is being requested to confirm residency? If so, the provided info on the application (which you must sign affirming it is true) should suffice. There is no legal requirement to provide this form to the Sheriff's office. Ask him for the relevant statute that requires this info (hint - there is none). This is not a valid reason for denial, and denial can (and should) be challenged in court if denied for this reason - but, don't mention a legal appeal unless you're actually prepared to go through with it.
    Nope, if you dont have your proof of 1% tax in monroe county, you dont get the LCTF, im in Chestnuthill, so i have to contact the local municiple building, hopefully they dont give me a hard time. ive got the permit paper filled out with references, just need this last step.

(Monroe County)

I had to go through the same thing in Ross township, although the woman that handles the taxes was very helpful. I just asked for a letter from their office stating that I was a resident of Ross township. She was used to this it seemed so it was no big deal, now if you haven't paid the local tax than you will need to, it turns out I was supposed to get a moving permit..... so I had to get a moving permit even though I had lived here for almost 2 years. But anyway the letter from their office stating that I was a resident was enough to get my permit. Now as gnbrotz has stated, its not supposed to matter and they shouldn't be able to deny you your permit because of it. Its also not supposed to matter if your references reside in the county that you are applying in.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I had to go through the same thing in Ross township, although the woman that handles the taxes was very helpful. I just asked for a letter from their office stating that I was a resident of Ross township. She was used to this it seemed so it was no big deal, now if you haven't paid the local tax than you will need to, it turns out I was supposed to get a moving permit..... so I had to get a moving permit even though I had lived here for almost 2 years. But anyway the letter from their office stating that I was a resident was enough to get my permit. Now as gnbrotz has stated, its not supposed to matter and they shouldn't be able to deny you your permit because of it. Its also not supposed to matter if your references reside in the county that you are applying in.
    i havent worked in a year because i started college full time, ill try and find some old paychecks, i started a new job this week so i guess i could wait for that.

(Luzerne County)

Gnbrotz supplied the correct answer.
    There simply is no requirement for this documentation. The address on your DL (or state issued ID) is all the proof of residency they need.
    Furthermore, requiring the EIT form is a blatant violation of 18PACS§6109.

I would drop off the application as it is (the STD PSP form) without the EIT and let them approve or deny it. If they deny then the appeal should fix the issue.

I'm really tiring of these sheriff's that think they can fabricate this kind of nonsense counter to the law.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Nope, if you dont have your proof of 1% tax in monroe county, you dont get the LCTF, im in Chestnuthill, so i have to contact the local municiple building, hopefully they dont give me a hard time. ive got the permit paper filled out with references, just need this last step.
    So if you do not work you will not get a LTCF in Monroe county?

BS. Looks like I have a new project.

(Luzerne County)

Monroe CO LTCF instructions:
    http://www.co.monroe.pa.us/judicial/cwp/view.asp?a=1537&Q=604789&judicialNav=|34328|

Where to start with this.
    To say Sheriff Martin is out of line would be an understatement.

Look at all the problems I found. (BOLD RED are my comments)
    Concealed Weapons Permits

Basic Requirements for Concealed Weapons Permits
    21 years of age
    Full time Monroe County resident NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal. One only need be a permanent resident (drivers license address)
    Pennsylvania resident for at least 60 days prior to application NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal.
    All paperwork must be submitted to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office IN PERSON.
    snip
    Paperwork Necessary for Concealed Weapons Permit

* Download complete Instruction Sheet. Be sure to read the ENTIRE Instruction Sheet, front and back, PRIOR to completing the application. The application MUST have both sides printed on one sheet of paper.
    * Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Non-Driver Photo Identification Card
    * Photocopy of Local 1% Earned Income Tax or other tax paper if retired/disabled (Please refer to full instruction sheet for information) NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal.
    * 2 References (Must be Monroe County Residents - Please refer to full instruction sheet for reference requirements) NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal.
    * If disabled - Written documentation from your doctor or social security explaining the nature of your disability. NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal.
    * Copy of your DD-214 if you were in the military. NOT STATUTORY REQUIREMENT - Illegal.
    * Non U.S. Citizens need to provide the Immigration Identification Number. Please bring to the office as it must be photocopied for your file.
    * Your photograph will be taken at the time of application.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; April 20th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    So if you do not work you will not get a LTCF in Monroe county?

BS. Looks like I have a new project.
    I don't work, I haven't worked in 2 years. I still got mine. Don't get me wrong PA, I absolutely agree with you, I was just stating what I had to do to get mine.

I have heard that they just started requiring to see 3 months of utility bills, Don't know for sure, I didn't have to bring that.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast