Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default A lot of you know I like to "modify" my firearms.

I love adding a personal, unique touch to my weapons. My Glock has nightsights on it, a glassbreaker floorplate on the primary mag, and a stippled grip. My Remington 870 has an aftermarket stock and forend, and has a Nitebeam mounted to it, and I want to eventually get something mounted to the end of the barrel. My 1911, however, only has pretty grips.

It's extremely accurate and very reliable (now that I replaced the shitty magazines it came with). I'd like to make it my own. So, my question is this - do places exist where you can take something like the slide of a stainless steel 1911 and get it buffed on a wheel to polish the slide to a mirror finish? How much would I expect to pay for that sort of service? EDIT - Google is my friend - I found the answer to this question online. However, my second question still stands.

Or is there anyone here with a buffing wheel that would like to help me learn to do it myself?
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; May 14th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: A lot of you know I like to "modify" my firearms.

Can always use a dremel too, but when it comes to an entire slide it might be better to get anodized or coated since its not just like a barrel thats easy to prevent rust/corrosion after polishing...

Just my 2 cents....polishing parts is not hard, its just very time consuming...for barrel services its usually around 40-50 bucks so id imagine a slide being upwards of 150 bucks but like i said id get it anodized or coated

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I love adding a personal, unique touch to my weapons. My Glock has nightsights on it, a glassbreaker floorplate on the primary mag, and a stippled grip. My Remington 870 has an aftermarket stock and forend, and has a Nitebeam mounted to it, and I want to eventually get something mounted to the end of the barrel. My 1911, however, only has pretty grips.

It's extremely accurate and very reliable (now that I replaced the shitty magazines it came with). I'd like to make it my own. So, my question is this - do places exist where you can take something like the slide of a stainless steel 1911 and get it buffed on a wheel to polish the slide to a mirror finish? How much would I expect to pay for that sort of service? EDIT - Google is my friend - I found the answer to this question online. However, my second question still stands.

Or is there anyone here with a buffing wheel that would like to help me learn to do it myself?

Don't know how much it costs, but if it is over $100's you might want to get a machine/ compounds and do it yourself. I am sure there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do it.

machine

http://www.amazon.com/Polisher-Polis.../dp/B005WJVLDO

Polishing compounds:

http://www.amazon.com/6-pc-Polishing...ef=pd_sim_ac_2

I only have limited knowledge (did it once for a T53 borrowing a friends machine and basically figured it out) I do not own a machine or would offer to lend it to you and show you how to do it.
    Last edited by internet troll; May 14th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

Btw.. the t53 I used the above tools on to shine parts up. I buffed all the exposed metal parts. Took time and patience, but I was happy with the results.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/207...oll-stick.html

(Beaver County)

You certainly can do it yourself, although you will want the proper tools and plenty of practice before you start on your gun. A dremel is absolutely not the tool for polishing a whole slide. If you try it with a dremel it is all but certain you'll be unhappy with your results. It won't give you the smooth, mirror polished slide you envision.
    A major part of why the older Colt and S&W pistols were such beautiful guns is that they were polished by skilled workmen using proper tools before they were blued. Edges didn't get rounded off, flat surfaces stayed flat and free of waves. Until you can do that kind of work yourself, leave the gun as-is and keep practicing.
    Good luck and have fun.
    The first one to use the word "sheeple" automatically loses the argument.

(Bucks County)

Viper, I have a 2"x72" belt grinder. (Before that scares you off). They make felt belts for it that are pretty good for buffing/polishing. I also have a flat plate should be pretty good for long flat surfaces like a slide.

If you want to get the belts and the compound, you are welcome to come over and use my machine.

PM me if you are interested.

Belts
    http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDe...oductCode=HEB1

http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDe...oductCode=HEB2

http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDe...oductCode=HEB3

Compound
    http://www.knifeandgun.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=22

Also, I would get some scrap metal of the same alloy and practice on it first before actually working with your slide like others have mentioned.

(Delaware County)

Like this???????

I used 2000 wet or dry paper (wet)) and a slab of glass. Straight lines only, no circular motion. No buffing wheel.
    Last edited by thundrr1; May 15th, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Can always use a dremel too, but when it comes to an entire slide it might be better to get anodized or coated since its not just like a barrel thats easy to prevent rust/corrosion after polishing...

Just my 2 cents....polishing parts is not hard, its just very time consuming...for barrel services its usually around 40-50 bucks so id imagine a slide being upwards of 150 bucks but like i said id get it anodized or coated
    A dremel is a horrible choice for a large part, you will end up with swirl marks.

As for coating polished parts, how many polished raw steel bolts are there on hunting rifles going back a hundred years?
    A well done, highly polished steel part is actually pretty resistant due to there being little to no "pits" for moisture to accumulate.

Many high end guns use polished parts.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Like this???????

I used 2000 wet or dry paper (wet)) and a slab of glass. Straight lines only, no circular motion. No buffing wheel.
    George - that is one pretty pistol! nice job.
    Cb

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    A dremel is a horrible choice for a large part, you will end up with swirl marks.

As for coating polished parts, how many polished raw steel bolts are there on hunting rifles going back a hundred years?
    A well done, highly polished steel part is actually pretty resistant due to there being little to no "pits" for moisture to accumulate.

Many high end guns use polished parts.
    Not sure you comprehended entirely what i wrote...I said a dremal CAN BE USED but suggested getting coating as he is dealing with a full slide...

Ive used a dremel to polish large parts before with great success and im anal about details...

As for hunting guns with polished bolts sure...but have you ever seen a polished bolt from hundreds of years ago that was not cared for its pitted and rusted to shit..does he have high humidity in his home, safe, etc....

A polished gun is going to take more care than a non and thats just a fact jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast