Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Latest reply from Bob Casey

I know I should have expected as much but I figure there's no harm in writing out 1 more letter when I'm writing all the reps/senators that are supposed to be representing me. Just wish the prick spent a minute or two to address my personal letter instead of some intern stuffing an envelope with this canned crap. I especially love the brazenness of saying how he supported all these bans and in the same breath says he is a "strong defender of the 2nd amendment".

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxxx,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about recent proposals to reduce gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue. *
    As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. *According to reports, the shooter possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon and was able to kill many children and adults very quickly. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity magazines. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that could lessen the chances that this will happen again.
    On March 21, 2013, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada introduced S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013. S. 649 would prevent convicted criminals and the mentally ill from purchasing firearms, limit illegal gun trafficking, and provide schools with resources to improve school security. Specifically, it includes three pieces of gun legislation which had previously been reported out of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary: S. 374, the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013; S. 54, the Stop Illegal Trafficking in Firearms Act of 2013; and S. 146, the School and Campus Safety Enhancements Act of 2013. On April 11, 2013, I joined 67 of my colleagues in voting to begin debate on the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act.
    On April 17 and 18, 2013, the Senate voted on a number of amendments to S. 649. I joined 54 of my colleagues in voting for an amendment offered by Senators Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, which would have protected Second Amendment rights while strengthening the background check process for purchasing firearms and extended the background check requirement to gun shows and certain internet sales. I also voted for an amendment offered by Senator Dianne Feinstein of California which would ban military-style assault weapons while exempting over 900 weapons used for hunting and sporting purposes. An amendment was offered by Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, which I supported, which would have regulated large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Unfortunately, these measures did not receive the 60 votes necessary for passage. The Senate also voted on a number of other amendments which did not pass, including an amendment to address gun trafficking, an amendment to allow for reciprocity for concealed carry permits, and an amendment protecting the Second Amendment rights of veterans and their families.
    On April 18, 2013, I joined 66 of my colleagues in agreeing to an amendment to S. 649 to withhold funding from law enforcement entities which release confidential information on law-abiding gun owners and victims of domestic violence. I also joined 94 of my colleagues in voting in favor of an amendment to reauthorize and improve programs related to mental health and substance abuse disorders. S. 649 as amended did not receive a final vote by the Senate, and may be considered by the Senate again at a later date.
    I was very disappointed that the Senate chose to reject sensible gun legislation to keep our children and communities safe from violent criminals and terrorists. Like many Americans, after Sandy Hook, I was horrified by how those children died - shot at close range with a high-powered rifle with each child hit as many as 11 times. I was also haunted by what could have happened if the killer had more time - he was prepared to slaughter hundreds of children. As members of the U.S Senate, we must ask: have I done enough to reduce the likelihood that this never happens again? We must do more to protect our kids.
    I am a strong defender of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a rich tradition of hunting and I believe strongly that people should be able to have guns for protection, sporting and collection. But, I also believe we need sensible gun legislation that will help to prevent these tragedies. This should not be the end of the road. We owe it to our children to redouble our efforts to do everything in our power to prevent another tragedy.
    Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you. *
    For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.
    Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

(Chester County)

Default Re: Latest reply from Bob Casey

I love the statement about "sensible gun control" that will stop these shootings. Everywhere they have strict gun control they have many crimes committed with illegal guns, by illegal people. Maddening.

I am a strong defender of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a rich tradition of hunting and I believe strongly that people should be able to have guns for protection, sporting and collection. But, I also believe we need sensible gun legislation that will help to prevent these tragedies. This should not be the end of the road. We owe it to our children to redouble our efforts to do everything in our power to prevent another tragedy.
    He does not even know what the Second Amendment means. This statement in his letter proves that. Or worse, he does know what it means, and thinks he is that much better than the rest of us and needs to be in control of us. Most likely it is a combination of the two - he doesn't really know what it means, but still wants to be in control of us.

(Westmoreland County)

There was nothing in S 649 that would have prevented another Newtown. Not one damn thing.

Good, glad people are still sending him letters. He was probably the biggest beneficiary of Toomey's about face as it almost seems like people have forgotten about Casey's 180.

I get so offended when people like this obama lover say they are "strong defenders of the second amendment" than despite their vote.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

When a politician says "I support the second amendment" it means they want to abolish it. Period.

So far every politician that actually support gun rights says that they support gun rights. They don't say they support the second amendment; they say they support gun rights or the right to keep and bear arms, etc. They aren't afraid to say what the second amendment means; the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

It really has gotten to the point where the second I hear "I support the second amendment" my brain IMMEDIATELY assumes that politician is anti-gun. Total 1984-style newspeak. Blows my mind how they get away with that garbage.