Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Unsolicited Range Report...!! Ruger LCR

I took my Ruger LCR to the range on Sunday morning. I knew it was a light gun, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how it handled the run of the mill Hornady 158 grain and 140 grain hollow points.

So here is my range report...

Jesus Christ, I would rather be punched in the face... TWICE...!!

Ok.. in all seriousness, it was brutal recoil. I can't imagine trying to shoot accurate follow up shots in any semblance of speed and precision. At 17 oz., it was a handful. I can only imagine the hell that will be unleashed from the even lighter 11 oz. S&W 340PD

I have to confess, I LOVE the feel of stiff recoil, but it's definitely NOT practical for anything but close proximity "oh shit" scenarios...

I think I will grab some .38 Special +P for normal backup carry.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Unsolicited Range Report...!! Ruger LCR

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    I took my Ruger LCR to the range on Sunday morning. I knew it was a light gun, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how it handled the run of the mill Hornady 158 grain and 140 grain hollow points.

So here is my range report...

Jesus Christ, I would rather be punched in the face... TWICE...!!

Ok.. in all seriousness, it was brutal recoil. I can't imagine trying to shoot accurate follow up shots in any semblance of speed and precision. At 17 oz., it was a handful. I can only imagine the hell that will be unleashed from the even lighter 11 oz. S&W 340PD

I have to confess, I LOVE the feel of stiff recoil, but it's definitely NOT practical for anything but close proximity "oh shit" scenarios...

I think I will grab some .38 Special +P for normal backup carry.
    My wife (first time shooter in 30 years) debated between the .38 and the .22. She picked the .22 after watching a video of both being fired. You have confirmed the correctness of her choice. I have also switched from a light .40 to a .32 magnum (different gun) and oh, so happy.

(Washington County)

Let me clarify my earlier post. It is a Ruger LCR .357. I was shooting what I consider a good .357 round, but not a sledgehammer round like either a Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, or CorBon. These were either Hornady 140 or 158 grain hollow points.

I intend to carry .38 +P's for defensive use to mitigate the recoil. for fun at the range and the occasional recoil fix, I will also continue to shoot the hot .357 loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    My wife (first time shooter in 30 years) debated between the .38 and the .22. She picked the .22 after watching a video of both being fired. You have confirmed the correctness of her choice. I have also switched from a light .40 to a .32 magnum (different gun) and oh, so happy.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    I intend to carry .38 +P's for defensive use to mitigate the recoil. for fun at the range and the occasional recoil fix, I will also continue to shoot the hot .357 loads.
    Yeah, I got that. I shot a Walther PPS .40 for years. A similar scenario. It just was no fun to shoot. The clincher was when we had a church-wide gun shoot and took turns firing each others' weapons. Not a single person wanted second on emptying another magazine from the PPS.

But if you can handle it then so much the better for you.

(Allegheny County)

The Ruger LCR is a light gun, even with .38+P it still kicks.

But with that said, the Gold Dot 135 gr +P .38 round has a pretty good track record according to those that "know something" about this stuff.

Happy shooting
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Washington County)

As I stated above, I LOVE stout recoil for FUN stuff... actual defensive use, I like your idea of the 135 +Ps and also the 158 Grain +P in either SWC or Hollow point.

With that said, however, I am intrigued by this loading from Buffalo Bore. It is designed to maximize the power of the .357 in a low recoil low muzzle flash round...

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_images&p=275

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    The Ruger LCR is a light gun, even with .38+P it still kicks.

But with that said, the Gold Dot 135 gr +P .38 round has a pretty good track record according to those that "know something" about this stuff.

Happy shooting

(Armstrong County)

Similarly my wife shoots my heavier hand guns just fine, we saw and liked the feel of a S&W 642 Airweight.

She loved the feel until the fired a few rounds. It's light weight does make it more of a handful.

(Beaver County)

I know the feelin. I have a S&W 360. At 13oz ya 357 mags are a real ass kicker. It has quite a different sting then the 500 mag but still not a lot of fun to shoot. I keep 38 +p in mine.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I know the feelin. I have a S&W 360. At 13oz ya 357 mags are a real ass kicker. It has quite a different sting then the 500 mag but still not a lot of fun to shoot. I keep 38 +p in mine.
    WOW - 13 ounces??? That IS light.

(Washington County)

The 340/360PD is even lighter at 11.4 oz.
    The 340/360 is as he stated 13 oz.

I can't imagine the brutal recoil of those especially after the punishing recoil of my LCR at 17 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    WOW - 13 ounces??? That IS light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast