Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default (Update#2) "Moved" to Upper Bucks, Questions.

So I will hopefully be leaving Lower Slower Bucks for Upper Bucks. It has always been my dream to have a nice little piece of property on one of those secluded Upper Bucks roads. I'm hoping to stay in the Palisades school district but a few properties I am looking at are in the Quackertown SD. How is Quakertown compared to Palisades? The numbers for Quakertown look fine but I heard it isn't so good. I also heard the same with Pennridge. We are in Pennsbury right now and are happy with their program.
    Also I will be needing a GP and a Vet and where do you guys shop up there for food?
    Any tips will be appreciated.
    Last edited by 7998; October 10th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Moving to Upper Bucks, Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    So I will hopefully be leaving Lower Slower Bucks for Upper Bucks. It has always been my dream to have a nice little piece of property on one of those secluded Upper Bucks roads. I'm hoping to stay in the Palisades school district but a few properties I am looking at are in the Quackertown SD. How is Quakertown compared to Palisades? The numbers for Quakertown look fine but I heard it isn't so good. I also heard the same with Pennridge. We are in Pennsbury right now and are happy with their program.
    Also I will be needing a GP and a Vet and where do you guys shop up there for food?
    Any tips will be appreciated.
    Quakertown School district is a fine place to get your kids educated. The teachers are some of the highest paid in the state, property taxes have risen since we've lived here, but nothing outrageous. Quakertown Vet is a good place and there are several other quality vets in the area. We divide up our shopping between Giant, Bottom Dollar and Walmart. Our house is in the borough and kids are able to walk to school k-5, 9-12. It's just out of range for middle school. Also, our property backs up to Memorial Park. The Quakertown Pool and library are very close. Baseball and football/soccer fields are also within walking distance. All these things made it very appealing to us when we moved here 12yrs ago.
    Now the bad. Certain areas like up near Main St and down 313 heading towards Doylestown after the RR tracks are some undesireables. Also the apartments out near 309 at end of 9th st has had some serious newsworthy incidents. I can't speak for the outskirts because I don't live out there. But in town(center of borough) it's really nice and some deals can be had if you don't mind houses over 100yrs old.

Edit: just realize I bought some brass off you a cpl months ago. Drop me a line sometime when you're gonna browse up here and we'll grab a beer.

(Bucks County)

My kid goes to Q-town and its fine. Like anything else you get out of it what you put in. You want excuses of why your kid is not doing well, you will find it. Push the kids and they will succeed.

We also have the option of going to Pennridge which they say is better but decided on Q-town.

Also use Q Vet and have no problem recommending them.

I do live on one of those roads and its very nice living.
    Last edited by phillyd2; May 12th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Quakertown School district is a fine place to get your kids educated. The teachers are some of the highest paid in the state, property taxes have risen since we've lived here, but nothing outrageous. Quakertown Vet is a good place and there are several other quality vets in the area. We divide up our shopping between Giant, Bottom Dollar and Walmart. Our house is in the borough and kids are able to walk to school k-5, 9-12. It's just out of range for middle school. Also, our property backs up to Memorial Park. The Quakertown Pool and library are very close. Baseball and football/soccer fields are also within walking distance. All these things made it very appealing to us when we moved here 12yrs ago.
    Now the bad. Certain areas like up near Main St and down 313 heading towards Doylestown after the RR tracks are some undesireables. Also the apartments out near 309 at end of 9th st has had some serious newsworthy incidents. I can't speak for the outskirts because I don't live out there. But in town(center of borough) it's really nice and some deals can be had if you don't mind houses over 100yrs old.

Edit: just realize I bought some brass off you a cpl months ago. Drop me a line sometime when you're gonna browse up here and we'll grab a beer.
    That sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    My kid goes to Q-town and its fine. Like anything else you get out of it what you put in. You want excuses of why your kid is not doing well, you will find it. Push the kids and they will succeed.

We also have the option of going to Pennridge which they say is better but decided on Q-town.

Also use Q Vet and have no problem recommending them.

I do live on one of those roads and its very nice living.
    I am mainly looking to avoid the "distractions" that some students are.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

I whole heartily disagree with quakertown being the spot for good education you are better off in the Lower bucks school districts for this trust me I lived through it

The area is nice but Stay the heck out of the borough they tell you what trash service you have to use you have to use their electric company which are insane rates and that whole 1.5 percent income tax sucks too

Livivjng in the borough sucks trust me and the school district is garbage an traffic is horrible getting around town anymore since the planning and corrupt local fovt is getting rich why we tax payers get the stiff for just allowing these big box stores to come in without proper planning set forth

Just giving it to you striaght not sure what the above are into but is stay out in haycocks Richlandtown anywhere outside the damn borough

I can elaborate more on the wonderful education of quakertown as well as I spent 18 years of my life in it and compared to what I was seeing in undergrad and graduates school we were screwed
    Last edited by Svickstc; May 12th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

(Bucks County)

I am mainly looking to avoid the "distractions" that some students are.
    Then you need to home school. These students are everywhere, always have been - always will be. Mine has some in her class yet she is one of only two in her grade accepted in thier advanced program.

I'll take a good student in the worst school district over a bad kid in the best school district every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Then you need to home school. These students are everywhere, always have been - always will be. Mine has some in her class yet she is one of only two in her grade accepted in thier advanced program.

I'll take a good student in the worst school district over a bad kid in the best school district every day of the week.
    Well I think you miss what I'm saying. I would rather send my kid to Palisades with a few bad eggs then to a Philly public school or Bristol twp schools. I feel I taught my son better to avoid such things. What he can't avoid is a high concentration of futures criminals and thug culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I whole heartily disagree with quakertown being the spot for good education you are better off in the Lower bucks school districts for this trust me I lived through it

The area is nice but Stay the heck out of the borough they tell you what trash service you have to use you have to use their electric company which are insane rates and that whole 1.5 percent income tax sucks too

Livivjng in the borough sucks trust me and the school district is garbage an traffic is horrible getting around town anymore since the planning and corrupt local fovt is getting rich why we tax payers get the stiff for just allowing these big box stores to come in without proper planning set forth

Just giving it to you striaght not sure what the above are into but is stay out in haycocks Richlandtown anywhere outside the damn borough

I can elaborate more on the wonderful education of quakertown as well as I spent 18 years of my life in it and compared to what I was seeing in undergrad and graduates school we were screwed
    Really? BTW I have zero interest in living in the borough or any other boroughs or developments. The 4 properties I am looking at either have no neighbors or they are far enough away. One of my requirements is I can't see more than 2 houses in the dead of winter. That and a basement, 2+acres, 2+ car garage.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Bristol/Bensalem/Levittown..all quality areas for good education. Your taxes pay for a shitload of ppl who DON'T pay property taxes, overloaded classrooms etc. Good advice, really.

The area is nice but Stay the heck out of the borough they tell you what trash service you have to use you have to use their electric company which are insane rates and that whole 1.5 percent income tax sucks too Again, LOL! Every township has local taxes. 1.5 percent is avg. Not sure where you get choices for garbage collection, but it is $20 a month here. The utilities have gone up since we've lived here, but again, I've heard of worse and higher rates.

He's coming from LOWER BUCKS! You think traffic is worse here than down there?

What we're into? WTF are you talking about? Do you know?

Like PhillyD said, you get out what you put into it. The undersireables are everywhere, but I think compared to what is now North North Philly, it is pretty good up here. I have 3 kids still in the system, one is honor roll and another is very very close to honor role. The third is still in elementary. I grew up in Warminster, which is Centennial School district. There is no comparison, Quakertown is far better.
    With age comes wisdom. At 46, I am alot wiser than I was on worldly things than I was in my 20's.

Edit: Before moving here, we lived in Chalfont with one neighbor on one side and one on the other..both senior citizens. That's it. Kids couldn't just walk to friends houses or ANYWHERE. I, like you, would like the quiet life. But when you have kids, I put them first and chose a house for what was best for them. Later on, after they are grown and out of the house, we will probably move somewhere more isolated.
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; May 12th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

(Bucks County)

Well I think you miss what I'm saying. I would rather send my kid to Palisades with a few bad eggs then to a Philly public school or Bristol twp schools. I feel I taught my son better to avoid such things. What he can't avoid is a high concentration of futures criminals and thug culture.
    Ok, but this discussion is about moving to Quakertown so those would not be an option.

Seriously, I grew up and went to school in Philly so I know a few things about bad areas and bad schools. Anywhere you pick to live around here would not even come close. I walk the 'bad areas' here with my 6 year old all of the time. Even she laughs at our local 'thugs'.

I also grew up making fun of the cow towns around here. But it's really not bad and we like it a lot. Along with Mr. Sparxs, I would be happy to welcome you and help with whatever you need.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast