Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ambidextrus female friendly semi auto?

The LC9® is a double-action-only, hammer-fired, locked-breech pistol with a smooth trigger pull. Control and confident handling of the Ruger LC9 are accomplished through reduced recoil and aggressive frame checkering for a positive grip in all conditions. The Ruger LC9 features smooth "melted" edges for ease of holstering, carrying and drawing.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/index.html

Ya should be able to pick up one of these for well under $500.00.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Ambidextrus female friendly semi auto?

I would check out bersa. not what I would call a popular brand but for the price still a decent product.

(Centre County)

RIA 1911 9mm Tac.

Around $450+, ambi safety standard, VERY mild recoil, pretty accurate, easy to modify to fit her needs(like pink grip and shit).
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=red dog;2396820]I would check out bersa. not what I would call a popular brand but for the price still a decent product.[/QUO

Bersa ..?? They aren't popular because they are terrible pistols. I have fired 2.. and 1 hi point pistol.. all to the same result .. BANG BANG BANG click click BANG click click click BANG..
    Do Not Buy a Bersa or a Hi point.. Spend the extra hundred or so and buy a pistol that won't jam or misfire when it matters.
    But a woman should probably choose her own pistol for fit and comfort especially. But accuracy is a must. She has to be confident that she can hit what she wants with her gun. Comfort and confidence are keys for any person to be effective with a pistol.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Bricks View Post
    By the way, i'd stay away from the p7 for purse carry, or any femail carry. It isn't a little heavy, it is a solid steel pistol. It feels like ur carrying a slim brick. Furthermore, it has a front handle squeeze safety, one of the only of its kind. It the purse or bag it will be carried in, the safety can and will be constantly depressed, making the safety effectively useless. Plus the price range falls under the collectors range IMO. Great gun, just wouldn't leave it in my girls purse for a month at a time.
    Have you ever shot one? The gun does not have a "front handle squeeze safety". It is a squeeze cocking device that cocks the gun prior to firing it when squeezed. It takes a lot of pressure to squeeze, but little pressure to keep it depressed. The gun will not cock in a purse, unless extreme amounts of pressure would be put directly on the cocking device. In fact I doubt you could accidentally squeeze the cocking device in a purse due to the pressure required. The P7 is one of the safest guns made.

Surplus P7's are still available for under $800 if you look around.

(Allegheny County)

I have fired the P7.. the only H&K pistol I've had the pleasure to fire.. The way I understand it.. the handle cocking mechanism u speak of it to double as a type of handle safety/drop safety. Gun doesn't fire if the handle isn't depressed.. sounds like more of a safety than a cocking mechanism.
    As far as their being a safe gun I believe it has a bit to do with the people who carried them (for the most part) were trained police or security of some sort. Usually put in a specialized and somewhat expensive holster.. not tossed into a coach bag and thrown around the back seat.. I would like 1 eventually but any decent H&K pistol new.. is around a grand. and I only know 1 man, a collector, who owns one..
    All in all the question was an female friendly ambi semi auto for under 500.. plenty of good suggestions. Mine would be the PK 380 for the need and price. Good luck.!

(York County)

A 9mm is a good compromise on stopping power and felt recoil. The bigger the gun, the easier it is to shoot. The pocket pistols are easy to conceal but can be snappy.

My mom who is also left handed liked my G19 so ended up buying one, the ambi mag release on the gen 4 wasn't a deciding factor so she saved some money and got a gen3.

(Schuylkill County)

[QUOTE=Ballistic Bricks;2396976]
    Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    I would check out bersa. not what I would call a popular brand but for the price still a decent product.[/QUO

Bersa ..?? They aren't popular because they are terrible pistols. I have fired 2.. and 1 hi point pistol.. all to the same result .. BANG BANG BANG click click BANG click click click BANG..
    Do Not Buy a Bersa or a Hi point.. Spend the extra hundred or so and buy a pistol that won't jam or misfire when it matters.
    But a woman should probably choose her own pistol for fit and comfort especially. But accuracy is a must. She has to be confident that she can hit what she wants with her gun. Comfort and confidence are keys for any person to be effective with a pistol.
    Bersa actually makes very nice pistols within your budget. I have been CCing a Thunder UC 40 for quite a few years now. Its the least expensive gun I own but it doesn't perform that way at all. Very accurate, affordable, and reliable as long as you clean out all the grease these guns come packed in from the factory. I don't normally endorse a product but when someone mistakingly calls something junk I'm not afraid to correct that person. Bersa is definitely a brand worth checking out.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Bricks View Post
    I have fired the P7.. the only H&K pistol I've had the pleasure to fire.. The way I understand it.. the handle cocking mechanism u speak of it to double as a type of handle safety/drop safety. Gun doesn't fire if the handle isn't depressed.. sounds like more of a safety than a cocking mechanism.
    I own a P7M8, and a P7 PSP and often carry the PSP. You are correct that the squeeze cocking mechanism acts to make the pistol safe as the gun is uncocked until you pick it up and squeeze the cocking device. If you relax your hand enough the cocking mechanism releases and uncocks
    the gun. It then must be recocked and the squeeze mechanism held down if you want to fire the pistol. This is a striker fired pistol, and you can see the striker get cocked when you squeeze the pistol, and then uncock when you release the squeeze cocker.

The squeeze cocking mechanism is not a safety in the traditional sense, but does add to the pistols safety in that you have to deliberately cock the gun and then keep the mechanism squeezed to continue to fire.

As far as being a collector gun, as HK has currently discontinued them some are being kept in collections, however, many carry this pistol as I do.
    Last edited by Pilot321; May 12th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Any suggestions. Prefferably in the under $500 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAVTXER View Post
    With the proper training, they can all be female friendly.
    Here's some ambidextrous HK's, but they are a little more than $500. I think she got the female friendly thing down pat. JFF :http://www.imfdb.org/images/1/16/TmbRdrUSPMatch.jpg
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast