Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Taurus magazine question

Forgive me if this has been posted before (i'm new).

I have a Taurus pt1911 in 9mm which I absolutely love. Ive got about 2,000 rounds through it (mostly tulammo and Winchester white box.)
    Its a fun range gun. However, I dont trust it to be my go to SD gun at home only because when I feed it SD ammo, it almost seems the smoothness of the ammo case is too slippery for the magazine. It wants to double feed. The rough cases on the tula run great through it.
    Is this common with single stack mags? Are there better replacement mags for taurus pt1911's?
    Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by SPLNTR; May 10th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Taurus magazine question

Taurus magazines are notorious for being crap.... buy a couple of after market ones and you should have no problems.... I have a PT101 and had the same problems... got two new ones from other places and they work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by SPLNTR View Post
    it almost seems the smoothness of the ammo case is too slippery for the magazine. It wants to double feed.

Are there better replacement mags for taurus pt1911's?
    Thanks for any info.
    What brand of SD ammo is it? I use Magtech 115 gr +P Guardian Golds in our 9mm PT 1911's magazines with absolutely no issues. Are you sure it is a double feed and not a failure to eject?

Tripp makes an excellent 9mm 1911 mag. I have 4 of them and they work great, plus, they are 10 rds instead of the Taurus (or standard) 9.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Indiana County)

Taurus magazines should be outlawed.

Find some of these:
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm/products/364

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post

Find some of these:
    Yea, you gotta admit...you can just about make one as good out of tin foil. OK for the range, not for battle.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    What brand of SD ammo is it? I use Magtech 115 gr +P Guardian Golds in our 9mm PT 1911's magazines with absolutely no issues. Are you sure it is a double feed and not a failure to eject?

Tripp makes an excellent 9mm 1911 mag. I have 4 of them and they work great, plus, they are 10 rds instead of the Taurus (or standard) 9.
    I use hornady critical defense.
    I'm pretty sure its a ftf issue. Seems like one wants to follow the other into the chamber.

Seems like from everyone's responses, the mags are crap. Doesn't surprise me. I wasn't sure that any 9mm 1911 mag would fit. Nice to know I dont have to use a Taurus only mag.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post

Find some of these:
    39 - thanks for the link. I'll look into them.
    Like I said, Its good to know that I can use other mags than Taurus.
    Hell, I might be able to rely on this weapon after all

I use hornady critical defense.
    I'm pretty sure its a ftf issue. Seems like one wants to follow the other into the chamber.

Seems like from everyone's responses, the mags are crap. Doesn't surprise me. I wasn't sure that any 9mm 1911 mag would fit. Nice to know I dont have to use a Taurus only mag.
    If it is stripping two rounds and trying to feed them, it can just about be assured one is following the other into the chamber (not following, per se, but the loose, top round going in from the inertia and the breech round going in behind and under it, which usually will not let either one go in. Probably due to the feed lips being open too much, the mag spring isn't strong enough, or the recoil spring is too weak. A round is already partially out (caused by the slide bottoming when it fully opens and from inertia) and the breech face picks up the top round in the mag pushing the round that was already partially out into the chamber. Problem is, only one will fit. The Tula casing may have enough drag against the feed lips of the mag to keep it from popping out where as the brass is smoother and lets the inertia cause it to slip out.

If your SD ammo is hot, it may be putting more pressure on the recoil spring than it can handle, thus 'rattling' the top round loose when the slide impacts the frame under recoil. This would make sense since a lot of SD 9mm ammos are hotter than standard Tula ball. I'd try replacing your 2000 round recoil spring before I did anything else, and get some Tripp or Wilson mags to fight with. Just know that the good mags will also allow a dowble feed at times if your slide is hammering the frame too hard. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by harold63; May 12th, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: poor expaination in one area

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If it is stripping two rounds and trying to feed them, it can just about be assured one is following the other into the chamber, probably due to the feed lips being open too much, the mag spring isn't strong enough, or the recoil spring is too weak. A round is already partially out (caused by the slide bottoming when it fully opens and from inertia) and the breech face picks up the top round in the mag pushing the round that was already partially out into the chamber. Problem is, only one will fit. The Tula casing may have enough drag against the feed lips of the mag to keep it from popping out where as the brass is smoother and lets the inertia cause it to slip out.

If your SD ammo is hot, it may be putting more pressure on the recoil spring than it can handle, thus 'rattling' the top round loose when the slide impacts the frame under recoil. This would make sense since a lot of SD 9mm ammos are hotter than standard Tula ball. I'd try replacing your 2000 round recoil spring before I did anything else, and get some Tripp or Wilson mags to fight with. Just know that the good mags will also allow a dowble feed at times if your slide is hammering the frame too hard. Hope this helps.
    Yes that does help. Thanks. Thats exactly what seems to be happening with the Tula. Its like there's just enough drag on the casing to keep the next round from pulling out.
    I'll look into another recoil spring. Kind of disheartening to have to replace one after 2,000 rounds. Is this just another example of Taurus' questionable quality? or is that about the expected life of any recoil spring?

Is this just another example of Taurus' questionable quality? or is that about the expected life of any recoil spring?
    It has nothing to do with the gun. Most 1911 guys will change out their recoil springs anywhere from 1000 to 3000 to who knows when. If you're using SD ammo that's on the hot side, you definitely want a new spring.

ETA - if the recoil spring doesn't do it, completely (it is going to help, no matter what), then new mag springs or new complete mags are in order. For the money and staying with the Hornadays, I'd choose the new mags.
    Last edited by harold63; May 11th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast