Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: MKIII vs 22/45

(Northampton County)

Default MKIII vs 22/45

I'm torn between these two models of Rugers. I know I want a blued 5.5 inch bull barrel and cannot decide between the two. Anyone have one or both and have something to say? Post pics if you'd like. Thanks for input and opinions!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: MKIII vs 22/45

I've owned both. I didn't like the bulky "1911" grip of the 22/45. The Ruger MK III grip feels and points much better for me (and I have large hands).
    Toujours prêt

(Cumberland County)

Kinda the opposite for me. I held both for awhile when I was deciding and the MKIII had too steep of a grip angle for me. I kept having to point it downward from my normal grip. The 22/45 was more of a natural pointer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLNTR View Post
    Kinda the opposite for me. I held both for awhile when I was deciding and the MKIII had too steep of a grip angle for me. I kept having to point it downward from my normal grip. The 22/45 was more of a natural pointer for me.
    Same with me. I've had 1911's foryears and the grip on the 22/45 feels natural to me.

Jim

(Chester County)

Pretty much what the guys said. They are nearly the same except the grip. Go with the one that feels best. If having a steel frame matters, go with the standard mkIII

(Luzerne County)

When Bill Ruger designed the original Mark he used the grip angle of the German Luger P08, stating that he felt it was the most natural grip for a handgun. Having shot both the P08 and the MkIII, I agree with him. I have a MkIII Gov't Target model and couldn't be more satisfied.

(Chester County)

Actually, I think Bill Ruger used the Japanese Nambu for the design on his .22.

I have examples of both, but they are MK II versions of these pistols without the lawyer crap. I like the MK II a bit better than the 22/45, but not by much. Mainly because I prefer steal framed pistols over polymer. I do like the 22/45 for field carry due to the lighter frame, and my 22/45 has a 4 inch bull barrel so is more compact than my MK II's which are 5.5 inch bull barreled guns except for my Anniversary Model which remains unfired.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Actually, I think Bill Ruger used the Japanese Nambu for the design on his .22.

I have examples of both, but they are MK II versions of these pistols without the lawyer crap. I like the MK II a bit better than the 22/45, but not by much. Mainly because I prefer steal framed pistols over polymer. I do like the 22/45 for field carry due to the lighter frame, and my 22/45 has a 4 inch bull barrel so is more compact than my MK II's which are 5.5 inch bull barreled guns except for my Anniversary Model which remains unfired.
    I believe my 22/45 is all steel, except for the molded polymer hand grips. It seems to have as much weight as my polymer M&P 9 with 17 rounds of 9mm loaded. If I remember correctly Ruger reversed engineered the Nambu and made the operation of the Mark I on that action.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(York County)

22/45 grip all the way for me.