Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you support NO LONGER using marijuana to instantly ban LTCF

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

139 66.83%
  • No

56 26.92%
  • No opinion

12 5.77%
  • Other

3 1.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Post Marijuana and Firearms

I am making this thread to specifically address what the Law currently states and how it affects thousands of PA residents in the firearms community.

Regardless where you stand on the issue of marijuana, be it medicinal or recreational, theres no doubt it is a growing issue at not only a federal level but a state level. PA has introduced legislation HB 528, this would allow for medicinal use of marijuana.

Current PA law is marijuana is ILLEGAL, and habitual use, CAN be a denial for firearm ownership. Being charged with any possession, parahenilia, or sell/buy IS an IMMEDIATE DENIAL of a LTCF ANYWHERE IN PA.

I am sure that this affects a great deal of us who are not terrible evil people because we smoked a plant at one point or another in our lives. We want to own firearms AND CARRY THEM. Legally and lawfully. The current laws do not make any normal sense.

The current position is if your in this "boat" chances are you can still own/buy firearms but carrying them is rather tricky. Your stuck with only being able to Open Carry in public, that is unless your at home. You CAN'T get into any vehicles, this is incredibly crippiling. You CAN'T carry at all during a State of emergency, or in a City of 1st class (Philly).

If marijuana was no longer considered Illegal in PA, that would allow people like myself to obtain a LTCF, along with thousands more.

So I was wondering what was the general idea of the firearms comunity on said issue. Im sure im not the only person.

I believe the marijuana use shouldnt be a barring offense for a LTCF, It should be more similar to alchohol use/abuse regarding firearms. But the current state is terrible, use marijuana one time and your barred FOR LIFE from a LTCF. You can apply for a governors pardon...good luck. Other than that there are no real options.

Marijuana no longer being a prohibiting offense for obtaining a LTCF.
    Would you be in support of this??

Thanks for your opinion, this isnt about the marijuana, it is a whole larger branch of people being allowed to get LTCF, so please keep that in mind.
    Last edited by gumbys1up; October 9th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Marijuana and Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    Current PA law is marijuana is ILLEGAL, and habitual use, CAN be a denial for firearm ownership. Being charged with any possession, parahenilia, or sell/buy IS an IMMEDIATE DENIAL of a LTCF ANYWHERE IN PA.

I am sure that this affects a great deal of us who are not terrible evil people because we smoked a plant at one point or another in our lives. We want to own firearms AND CARRY THEM. Legally and lawfully. The current laws do not make any normal sense.
    doesn't it only affect those that have been charged with possession, etc?

Since you asked, my thoughts are that marijuana should not be a prohibiting offense for a ltcf.

I do not smoke it and have not tried it since my teens, but have known a ton of people in my life who have, and some who still occasionally do.

None of them are Cheech and Chong. They smoke the occasional joint to relax and have a good time. They are adults, they should have that right. The people I am talking about are professionals with responsibilities and smoking does not make them lesser people deserving of fewer rights in my eyes. The concept that they could lose rights because they choose to smoke is ludicrous to me.

On top of that, people change, just because you smoked a bit in high school or college does not mean you will for the rest of your life. The idea that a conviction when you are 19 means that you have lost the right to carry concealed when you are 30 unless you jump through several expensive hoops is ridiculous. Yes, choices have consequences, but the consequence should fit the crime and losing your rights for the rest of your life for smoking when young is not a fitting consequence for the crime imo.

And accepting that the government can take away people's rights that way hurts us all. We have rights. Once a punishment is over (fine, jail time, etc) that should be it. The continual punishment for the rest of your life gives the government to much power imo.
    Last edited by internet troll; October 7th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

(York County)

I've known a lot of potheads who I wouldn't trust to carry a potato gun, let alone a firearm.

Then again, I've known a lot of people in general who I wouldn't trust to carry a potato gun.

(Wayne County)

Wouldn't PA House Bill 671 absolve all this nonsense? I remember it being introduced in Feb or March but haven't heard anything on it's status.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(York County)

You're not going to get a lot of sympathy on this forum. You do not have my sympathy. DUI offenders are revoked LTCF all the time under "character and reputation" clauses, and justifiably so.

Narcotics users are not good risks, from a statistical probability standpoint. They may be nice people, but their behaviour is less predictable due to drug use impairment. As for reformed people, well, how about the guy who rapes your wife? He turns over a new leaf the next day and finds Jesus. Are you gonna let him go without repercussions?

(Wayne County)

What does smoking dope constantly say about their character? I thought smoking dope made you a peace loving person so whats the need for a sidearm? Look at the gangbangers, high all da time. The only way they can cope with life is to be high? They say marijuana smoking is a victimless crime, tell that to border agent Terry. If your high and that goes for the alcohol supermen, please stay away from me if your armed.

(Mercer County)

I have no use for drug heads. That's all I have to say about it.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    You're not going to get a lot of sympathy on this forum. You do not have my sympathy. DUI offenders are revoked LTCF all the time under "character and reputation" clauses, and justifiably so.

Narcotics users are not good risks, from a statistical probability standpoint. They may be nice people, but their behaviour is less predictable due to drug use impairment. As for reformed people, well, how about the guy who rapes your wife? He turns over a new leaf the next day and finds Jesus. Are you gonna let him go without repercussions?

Raping people and being denied the right to defend your life (while legally owning firearms), for life, because of one misdemeanor victimless crime are two different things....I think.

Could be wrong though.....
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post

Narcotics users are not good risks, from a statistical probability standpoint. They may be nice people, but their behavior is less predictable due to drug use impairment. As for reformed people, well, how about the guy who rapes your wife? He turns over a new leaf the next day and finds Jesus. Are you gonna let him go without repercussions?
    Drug ignorance is about as annoying as Gun ignorance...

Marijuana is NOT a narcotic... .

comparing DUI to Marijuana possession/use is absurd... DUI is driving under the influence... not drinking or possessing alcohol.

Nicotine in tobacco is more highly addictive than anything in Marijuana and leads to a lot more health issues.

Alcohol fueled disputes are commonplace... pot fueled, not so much... unless your fighting over the cheetos.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast