Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Issues with a rally this coming June in Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    This is incorrect. This rule only applies to traffic citations. It is cited in PA 42 5553
    5553. Summary offenses involving vehicles.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in subsection (b) or
    (c), proceedings for summary offenses under Title 75 (relating
    to vehicles) must be commenced within 30 days after the
    commission of the alleged offense or within 30 days after the
    discovery of the commission of the offense or the identity of
    the offender, whichever is later, and not thereafter.
    Don't even try, you're wasting your time.

I think this situation illustrates the necessity of preparing and planning for civil disobedience. All of this should have been thought through and prepared for, rather than doing it after the fact.

Every situation where you know the law is being ignored is important, but not every one of them is the situation that should be tested. The consequences are too painful and permanent.

As we used to say to our kids, "Choose your battles wisely."

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    I think this situation illustrates the necessity of preparing and planning for civil disobedience. All of this should have been thought through and prepared for, rather than doing it after the fact.

Every situation where you know the law is being ignored is important, but not every one of them is the situation that should be tested. The consequences are too painful and permanent.

Choose your battles wisely, and your lawyers even more wisely.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post

It was planned out, the issue is the legal costs are. . .

I spent less money with a two year legal battle, than has already been racked up. If your offer still stands, the one you put on that rep from a while ago. Shoot me a PM, or message the Open Carry PA facebook group. I have access to it, Justin made me an admin.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Don't even try, you're wasting your time.
    ray h, I am puzzled by your response. I simply replied to the statement concerning police having to file a non traffic citation within thirty days on the offense. I posted the section that mentions that there is such a rule for traffic offenses because I’ve seen this issue brought up in other posts. I don’t think I am wasting my time I just didn’t want anyone else to waste their time believing that the 30 day rule was true for non traffic offenses. So whats the big deal ?
    Last edited by eagleclaw; August 6th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    ray h, I am puzzled by your response. I simply replied to the statement concerning police having to file a non traffic citation within thirty days on the offense. I posted the section that mentions that there is such a rule for traffic offenses because I’ve seen this issue brought up in other posts. I don’t think I am wasting my time I just didn’t want anyone else to waste their time believing that the 30 day rule was true for non traffic offenses. So whats the big deal ?
    I understand what you are saying, I meant you were wasting your time correcting steelcityk9cop because he'll just keep coming back with his idea of how it should be. I didn't feel like an argument with him so I just simply said "whatever" and let him think he's right.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Jim Carrey withdraws support for Kick-Ass 2

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The tax protesting game also has its share of players who were isolated and destroyed, one at a time.

Long ago, I pointed out that the legal system is not a game, certainly not an inexpensive game. If you want to push back against oppressive government until it breaks, you have to make sure you have the considerable means to keep pushing, that you won't run out of cash or patience, your spouse won't leave you, your job pressures won't require you to fold. If you create the test case and then you lose, you put us in a worse position than if you hadn't started it, to say nothing of how you'll set your personal situation back.

I was called an elitist, some here suggesting that I was saying that only the wealthy deserved to have 2nd Amendment rights. That's absurd. But Rosa Parks wasn't really some little old lady who just got tired of giving up her seat, she was a dedicated activist and she had the civil rights groups behind her, with a strategy and a war chest lined up, before she staged her bus rebellion.

The same happened in the Scopes "monkey trial", he didn't teach the evolution lesson and then just get caught up (in fact, he never taught the lesson at all, he was too busy with the pre-planning and coordinating the legal case.) These success stories all required intensive pre-planning by experienced operatives, none of them were ad hoc, half-baked Andy Hardy fiascos that began with "I've got some costumes, your dad has a barn, let's put on a show!"

The approach of "ready - fire- aim" has a bad track record, you can't rely on strangers kicking in hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire experienced counsel and take a case where it needs to go, with proper briefs and good research, and the careful choosing of venue and facts. You have to be prepared to go to war, you have to know your Sun Tzu and beat the enemy before the first punch is thrown, and THEN you stage your provocation.
    Great and spot on post that should be quoted every few pages.

The real sin of this and other similar situations is that PAFOA SHOULD have been set up as the 800 pound gorilla to stand behind such efforts.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post

I agree that I have some reservations about the way it is being handled. Especially by Joshua Prince. I won't go into details. And I still think it is great that he is helping. But just to get this far, and to have no real weight behind it yet? And I understand the PASC hasn't said much on it. Even though they gave Erie only a few days to speak about it. The updates themselves, part of it I will admit is my fault. There are things that Justin doesn't want shared, and I agreed to only speak about what I have been given the "OK" to talk about.

I'm just the messenger, since he was a member here, and got banned quite some time ago.
    Since you / he / whoever is asking for money from others somebody should step up with more complete disclosures including a breakdown of where and how the money is being spent.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Since you / he / whoever is asking for money from others somebody should step up with more complete disclosures including a breakdown of where and how the money is being spent.
    I agree, and that has been brought up.

I can tell you here and now, every penny that has been raised or donated has gone to the attorney. A company donated a banner for different rallies and events. And that has been it.

His posts are asking for donations, and information with events. My posts on there, if you are a member. Are the ones trying to start conversations, and encourage discussion. And are also ended with - Chris
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I understand what you are saying, I meant you were wasting your time correcting steelcityk9cop because he'll just keep coming back with his idea of how it should be. I didn't feel like an argument with him so I just simply said "whatever" and let him think he's right.
    No.. Eagle is right and I was wrong.

30 Days for title 75 summary violations (traffic tickets)...

2 years for title 18 summary violations (non-traffic tickets)...

and I'm guessing 2 years for municipal ordinance violations as well but title 42's sections on statutes of limitations are not clear on that.

Ray... it's not a matter of "how it should be" it's "how it is" with this Erie incident. In reading the thread, there are three trains of thought I am reading about...

1) Get an injunction against the city to prevent them from future enforcement of the ordinance…
    2) Get the tickets dismissed at the Magistrates office…
    3) Fight this to the Superior Court to address preemption once and for all…

How the case gets in front of the Superior Court for those that want to battle preemption isn’t about how I think it should be it’s about how the criminal process works in Pennsylvania.

Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast