Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default "legal carrying of guns will turn the streets into the wild west"

This is a phrase often uttered by antigunners whenever the issue of concealed/open carry law is brought up. They claim that if everyone carried guns, the country would regress back to the Wild West.

My question is, if so, then what are they complaining about? From my understanding, pretty much all forms of crime were far rarer in the frontier during the 19th century than they are in most large cities now. It seems that they're trying to imply that the "wild west" was terribly dangerous, when in fact it was not. I guess they've been watching too many spaghetti westerns?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: "legal carrying of guns will turn the streets into the wild west"

As I understand it the crime rate in Dodge was much less back then than it is today. It was boisterous, loud, and all that stuff but other than D&D and disturbing the peace, not much in the way of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    This is a phrase often uttered by antigunners whenever the issue of concealed/open carry law is brought up. They claim that if everyone carried guns, the country would regress back to the Wild West.

My question is, if so, then what are they complaining about? From my understanding, pretty much all forms of crime were far rarer in the frontier during the 19th century than they are in most large cities now. It seems that they're trying to imply that the "wild west" was terribly dangerous, when in fact it was not. I guess they've been watching too many spaghetti westerns?

(Northampton County)

Its all part of the propaganda to create a perception that is favorable to the gun grabbers. Actually, the Wild West was not like they portray it out to be, people walking around shooting each other in the streets. Its a myth.

(Lackawanna County)

In fact I recently watched a segment on the History Channel about this very misstated scenario. According to this program ( either Wild West Tech or Tales of the Gun) ,there where very few documented High Noon type shootouts in the west. A great majority of folks were actually shot in the back. The classic cinematic shoot-out is largely a concoction of Hollywood.

Come to think of it I think Hollywood is responsible for many other gun stereotypes. Hollywood created the myth that a woman with a gun will be disarmed no matter what. I think Hollywood created the myth of the assault weapon. In every action flick produced in the eighties and nineties the bad guys all had to carry the obligatory Uzi, Mac 10, AK-47 all on full auto. It seems today they are hard at work smearing the BMG 50 and the Barrett. They create the myth to use against the reality. You are seeing left wing political views brought to life as main stream ideals, to desensitize the masses. When the big take over comes, the sheep will all sit back and say " It's a good thing!"

Where is my tin foil hat?

(Berks County)

Giddyup, cowboy.

I for one love the notion of America turning back into the days of the western fronteir. Didnt hear much about drug trafficking, school shootings, or NGs in the home. Why? Cause everyone knew guns, understood and used them. They were common, everyday item in the home.

Besides, arent wheel and leverguns supposed to be more appealing to the antis than semiautos and 'evil black rifles'?

Also, if too many guns in lawful hands turns the world back to the Old West, then taking them away will turn the world back into Prohibition.