Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Question Quick vehicle carry question.

A friend and I are having a debate, I say the following is true.

(Firearm here-in refers to PA's legal definition of a firearm. Also we assume a LTCF has been obtained.)

I just want to clarify, it is completely legal to carry a loaded firearm OC or CC ON YOUR PERSON in, on, or upon any vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, atv, etc)

Is this correct? Let's go extreme here and (I dont) but assume there is even one in the chamber. Answers?
    Last edited by Ruined1; May 9th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Quick vehicle carry question.

There is no such thing as concealed carry nor open carry in a vehicle.
    It's is simply "carry"

In order to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, you must have a PA LTCF or a permit from ANY state, reciprocal or not.

It doesn't matter if its in the trunk, in your holster or duct taped to your face

You may carry an unloaded firearm under specific exceptions (to/from range, etc)

This is VERY basic information of law. If you carry a firearm, I would hope you'd be VERY familiar with all the following

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    There is no such thing as concealed carry nor open carry in a vehicle.
    It's is simply "carry"

In order to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, you must have a PA LTCF or a permit from ANY state, reciprocal or not.

It doesn't matter if its in the trunk, in your holster or duct taped to your face

You may carry an unloaded firearm under specific exceptions (to/from range, etc)
    Thank you for the quick response and clarification. He was trying to tell me I would get arrested for having it on my person loaded or unloaded. I was going to say I see OC'ers get out with it on their hips all the time. I will refrain from duck-taping it to my face unless completely necessary. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruined1 View Post
    A friend and I are having a debate, I say the following is true.

(Firearm here-in refers to PA's legal definition of a firearm. Also we assume a LTCF has been obtained.)

I just want to clarify, it is completely legal to carry a loaded firearm OC or CC ON YOUR PERSON in, on, or upon any vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, atv, etc)
    Correct with a LTCF.

Is this correct? Let's go extreme here and (I dont) but assume there is even one in the chamber. Answers?

If there isn't one in the chamber, you are just carrying a paper weight.

The PA legislature specifically defined what a firearm is. The definition includes pistols, rifles, and shotguns with their respective shortened length of the barrel as noted by Bimmer. Thanks Bro!

Long guns are not regulated (for the most part, think hunting mostly but there are other exceptions like philly) therefore you can Conceal carry a shotgun or rifle without a LTCF. Yup, just sling your AR under a trench coat and CC all day long without a LTCF, perfectly legal, Except Philly.

Hope this helps.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; May 9th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

(Delaware County)

Thank you for the quick response and clarification. He was trying to tell me I would get arrested for having it on my person loaded or unloaded. I was going to say I see OC'ers get out with it on their hips all the time. I will refrain from duck-taping it to my face unless completely necessary. Thanks again!
    Your PA LTCF, allows you to carry your firearm loaded in a vehicle, during a state of emergency, in Phila, concealed, etc

Next time, ask him to cite the law and statute you're breaking. Quick way to hush someone up

PS: "Loaded" can be a loaded mag in a gun. Doesn't have to be a round in the chamber... Still loaded

(Cambria County)

Thanks again all! Been here one day and love this site already... What a wealth of information and good constitution-protecting people

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    [/COLOR]

The PA legislature specifically defined what a firearm is. The definition includes all "GUNS" with a barrel length less that 14 inches.

Long guns are not regulated (for the most part, think hunting mostly but there are other exceptions like philly) therefore you can Conceal carry a shotgun or rifle without a LTCF. Yup, just sling your AR under a trench coat and CC all day long without a LTCF, perfectly legal, Except Philly.

Hope this helps.

CL
    <15" for handguns
    <16" for rifles
    <18" for shotguns
    Or <26" OAL

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    [/COLOR]

The PA legislature specifically defined what a firearm is. The definition includes all "GUNS" with a barrel length less that 14 inches.

Hope this helps.

CL
    I have a PA LTCF but you're telling me with or without it I can carry my SKS loaded on my back CC by a coat? What about OC? Is it possible with/without LTCF?

(Delaware County)

I have a PA LTCF but you're telling me with or without it I can carry my SKS loaded on my back CC by a coat? What about OC? Is it possible with/without LTCF?
    Your LTCF mainly applies to firearms
    Long guns aren't firearms in the context of this subject

In PA, you can OC or CC a long gun without a LTCF and even have it in your vehicle

Some exceptions... Not in Philly, not during a state of emergency unless you have a LTCF

Never loaded in a vehicle, even with a LTCF

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Your LTCF mainly applies to firearms
    Long guns aren't firearms in the context of this subject

In PA, you can OC or CC a long gun without a LTCF and even have it in your vehicle

Some exceptions... Not in Philly, not during a state of emergency unless you have a LTCF

Never loaded in a vehicle, even with a LTCF
    Excellent clarification. Answered any doubts I ever had. Thanks again! So I can carry a long gun in, on, or about a vehicle, hell strapped to my handlebars, as long as the ammo/mags are in a separate container, and carry it on my person loaded (obviously slung over my back in a non-threatening, carry postition)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast