Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sig P220 Question

I have a Sig P220 Carry Elite and I like it, but I feel like the trigger is holding it back. I want it adjusted to maybe be lighter or "tighter". I've never fine-tune adjusted the trigger on a fire arm before and I wanted to know how one goes about doing this?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Sig P220 Question

Send it to Sig and have the SRT installed. HUGE difference.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

The SRT will help with the reset of the trigger, but it won't help with the amount of effort it takes to pull the trigger. Sig can also do a trigger job that will address lightening the double action trigger pull.

You could try to fix the issue yourself by replacing the hammer spring. That will lighten the double action trigger pull for only a few bucks. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to do it. Wolff sells the a spring kit so you can choose what weight you want. You need to keep in mind, though, that you run the risk of light strikes if you put in too light of a spring. You may have to experiment with different weights. Thankfully, it's very easy to change out the hammer spring.

Good luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the suggestion. If you've done this yourself, how long does it take for Sig to fix it and ship it back generally... and how's their customer service?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Send it to Sig and have the SRT installed. HUGE difference.
    Do NOT listen to this /\ advise if your goal is a lighter and crisper trigger. Having the Short Reset Trigger installed will, as the name suggests, reduce the trigger reset travel, HOWEVER, it will also introduce creep into the trigger pull. If you're looking for a lighter and crisper trigger feel, that can be accomplished to some extent by simply swapping in a lighter hammer spring (linked below), as the above poster suggested. I run an 18 lb hammer spring in my P220R, and have not run into any light strike issues with range or SD ammo. (and I've tried a wide variety) This cheap and easy swap does make a noticeable difference, and you may be satisfied right there.

However, if you're even more picky about your trigger (like me), you have two options:

1. Send the gun to Sig's Custom Shop for their "Action Enhancement Package," or to another well regarded Sig gunsmith for an action/trigger job. Bruce Gray comes to mind.

2. If you're confident in your craftsmanship, you can do as I've done and follow this guide (below) to performing your own action job at home.

With my very first Sig, I took the hit and sent it to Sig for their "Action Enhancement Package." They did a very nice job on it, but with my following Sig purchases, I did all of the trigger/action work myself. Personally, I feel that my action work turned out at least as well as Sig's.

New style hammer spring (if you have a plastic mainspring seat):
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/wolff-ha...thru_p229.html

Old style hammer spring:
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/wolff-ha...6-228-229.html

DIY action job directions:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=412515

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Quote Originally Posted by DHR27PA View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. If you've done this yourself, how long does it take for Sig to fix it and ship it back generally... and how's their customer service?
    The turn around time on the "Action Enhancement Package" was 2-3 weeks for me, and their CS was top notch.
    Last edited by BionicMan; May 9th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    Do NOT listen to this /\ advise if your goal is a lighter and crisper trigger. Having the Short Reset Trigger installed will, as the name suggests, reduce the trigger reset travel, HOWEVER, it will also introduce creep into the trigger pull. If you're looking for a lighter and crisper trigger feel, that can be accomplished to some extent by simply swapping in a lighter hammer spring (linked below), as the above poster suggested. I run an 18 lb hammer spring in my P220R, and have not run into any light strike issues with range or SD ammo. (and I've tried a wide variety) This cheap and easy swap does make a noticeable difference, and you may be satisfied right there.

However, if you're even more picky about your trigger (like me), you have two options:

1. Send the gun to Sig's Custom Shop for their "Action Enhancement Package," or to another well regarded Sig gunsmith for an action/trigger job. Bruce Gray comes to mind.

2. If you're confident in your craftsmanship, you can do as I've done and follow this guide (below) to performing your own action job at home.

With my very first Sig, I took the hit and sent it to Sig for their "Action Enhancement Package." They did a very nice job on it, but with my following Sig purchases, I did all of the trigger/action work myself. Personally, I feel that my action work turned out at least as well as Sig's.

New style hammer spring (if you have a plastic mainspring seat):
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/wolff-ha...thru_p229.html

Old style hammer spring:
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/wolff-ha...6-228-229.html

DIY action job directions:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=412515

Good luck with whatever you choose!

The turn around time on the "Action Enhancement Package" was 2-3 weeks for me, and their CS was top notch.
    Hmm for $179.99 it better be a damn good trigger job. On one hand, I'm willing to invest a lot of money on it because it is my primary carry weapon but I want to make sure that this is going to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DHR27PA View Post
    Hmm for $179.99 it better be a damn good trigger job. On one hand, I'm willing to invest a lot of money on it because it is my primary carry weapon but I want to make sure that this is going to be worth it.
    Another option (my favorite) is Bob Gray at Grayguns. Trigger experts with Sig and HK. Not cheap, but you're talking about a P220 Carry Elite...not your run of the mill handgun.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Another option (my favorite) is Bob Gray at Grayguns. Trigger experts with Sig and HK. Not cheap, but you're talking about a P220 Carry Elite...not your run of the mill handgun.
    Sig Sauer factory appears cheaper

(York County)

Do a comparison, www.grayguns.com, with sig's package, prices and
    turn around times. Check out sigforum.com, I believe that costs were
    compared. Gray Guns is well respected on the Sig forum.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Philadelphia County)

Should I be disappointed that my gun needs trigger work? I already paid a good amount for it in the first place. I can tell it is quality and the trigger is really my only complaint. Or is trigger pickiness just something that comes with firearm experience?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast