Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default I am an OC failure

I always have carried concealed, but decided with the weather being so nice that I was going to skip the vest I normally wear and OC. I am driving up to Lake Nockimixon in Bucks county and want to get some water for my dog and myself so I plan to stop at WaWa on 313. When I get there, there are 3 police officers standing outside chatting and having a drink of water themselves. I sat in my car for 3-5 minutes decided whether I was going to go in open carrying or not. I ended up putting on my vest and going into the store. I feel like a failure to all you guys out there that OC. I just did not want my first expereince to be bad and I have no idea what the cops are like in that area. Oh well, maybe next time.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: I am an OC failure

Failure? No, certainly not.
    With the years of brainwashing that "OC is bad", folks new to entertaining the idea of OC are justifiably hesitant.

OC for your reasons, on your terms, when you are comfortable doing so. After having done that your confidence will conquer your fear of being hassled and OC'ing in front of LEO won't be so troubling. Do some LEO have an issue or incorrect understanding of carry laws? Sure. I have found that they are not the majority though, in NEPA where I OC most.

(Berks County)

You're not a failure by any means. If I would have seen three officers my first time OC'ing, I would have covered or went elsewhere as well. Now that I'm comfortable OC'ing, I would have walked right in, and even said "good afternoon officers" as I walked by, but my first time, no way in hell. You'll be fine!

(Cambria County)

I'm going to agree with Patriot and BCDave, you OC on your terms for you, not on the terms of others to satisfy them. You make your own way according to comfort, there's no failure in that.

(Dauphin County)

ya what they said !

also dont worry about what anyone thinks about it one way or the other , do what you want when you want and when you are comfortable doing so.

(Berks County)

Coward against the cause!!!

...yes, OC is supposed to be fun and educational. If a situation isnt to your liking, then it stops being fun, and nervous people are terrible educators.

Did you pull the vest back off afterwards?

i dont think you failed at all...

you and i differ GREATLY though, as i am a HUGE asshole and would have LOVED to be in that situation... it would have been fun to play with the LEO's if they didn tknowthe laws... lol
    This Space For Rent

(York County)

I think the responses to your post have been articulate and on point. In
    no way did you fail. When you are ready to open carry and are comfortable
    it will happen. I personally believe you exercised great discreation. With the
    odds being 3 to 1, it might have been the scence of a "Great Debate", good
    move.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

No failure. I think I would have responded as you did. Like the other responder said it's being familiar/comfortable with OC. I just got my LTCF here in Pa. Even though I had lived in Vermont and CC'd there, I have yet to take the cc plunge here.The closest I came was today when I carried concealed in my carry bag in the car. I really need a good cc rig for my weapon anyway. Once I cc on a regular basis, it will become a normal thing. Open carry is a long way off for me right now!

(Dauphin County)

+1 here for the "No failure".

I've been OCing for a little while now (this not including when I'm on duty and in uniform) and I can attest for myself that there's some situations where I'd probably find a cover garment.

My oldest son had his "Opening Day" for T-Ball this morning. My wife told me I'd be more comfortable if I'd just wear a t-shirt without a cover garment and not carry. I thought to myself, "How about I just wear the t-shirt and OC?"

Then I thought, "Do I really want to spend the next 4 or 5 hours educating people that OC IS INDEED LEGAL?" when I'd rather spend it watching my son play ball.

I put on a print button-down casual shirt over my t-shirt and went CC instead.

As for the LEO thing: Here in Harrisburg, I'm relatively familiar (and even friends with some) LEOs in this area. The ones I don't know have always been cool with me when I OC. However, I don't know the sentiment in other areas and I'd probably CC in those areas until I got a better feel for the environment.

I've been taught that discretion is the better part of valor. Your decision to back out of carrying openly is just that: YOUR PERSONAL DECISION.

Would I myself ever full-time OC? Probably not. There's just some situations where I feel avoiding possible conflicts is prudent, and therefore I conceal my sidearm.

One place in particular I go (legal to carry, but would cause issues if it was seen) requires "deep concealment," to which I use an IWB holster; and like most people I know who CC....I HATE IWB HOLSTERS!

YMMV. JMHO.

Stay safe and shoot straight,
    38SnubFan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast