Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: ejection problems

Yeah I think ill have it sent back. I noticed the left side of the forcing cone looks like its starting to peen. What causes a wheelgun to go out of time? Once locked in I know if spun it can do that but my snubbie won't let it spin once the cylinder is closed

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by doobiemonster View Post
    Yeah I think ill have it sent back. I noticed the left side of the forcing cone looks like its starting to peen. What causes a wheelgun to go out of time? Once locked in I know if spun it can do that but my snubbie won't let it spin once the cylinder is closed
    Honestly?
    I'd suspect the poly frame could be tweaked, and not just ones by Taurus.

Timing could be the "star" on the back of the cylinder is out of whack or the "hand" is.

Either way, I have a friend that now has only half his vision in one eye and has to wear sunglasses even indoors because of an out of time revolver spitting lead.

You can check the timing in a down and dirty way with an appropriate diameter dowel rod inserted into the barrel of an unloaded revolver, if it does not go into all cylinders, you have a timing issue.

(Delaware County)

If it"s shaving bullets forget what I said about the cylinder. It's probably out of time and causing a slight over pressure which explains the hard extraction. There probably is a chamber issue, but that is the least of your worries.
    Do yourself a favor and send it to Taurus with a detailed note of all that you have mentioned on here. It really is potentially dangerous to shoot.

You would measure the chambers with an inside micrometer, or a ball gauge an o/s mic. You could buy a .357 chamber reamer to do it, or use lapping compound on a fired .357 and lightly spin it to polish the walls. Exact diameter specs of you gun I do not know, but it will be in the .379x range.
    Again that is all a moot point, send it back to Taurus and let us know what they say.
    Good luck.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bjmac View Post
    If it"s shaving bullets forget what I said about the cylinder. It's probably out of time and causing a slight over pressure which explains the hard extraction. There probably is a chamber issue, but that is the least of your worries.
    Do yourself a favor and send it to Taurus with a detailed note of all that you have mentioned on here. It really is potentially dangerous to shoot.

You would measure the chambers with an inside micrometer, or a ball gauge an o/s mic. You could buy a .357 chamber reamer to do it, or use lapping compound on a fired .357 and lightly spin it to polish the walls. Exact diameter specs of you gun I do not know, but it will be in the .379x range.
    Again that is all a moot point, send it back to Taurus and let us know what they say.
    Good luck.
    Yeah.....what he said.

(Delaware County)

Also, when you send the gun back do not tell them you believe it is out of time. If you add a description, leave it as misalignment & bullet shaving. Pm me if you want to check the alignment. I don't like posting procedures.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the info peoples. Can I take it to a gunshop and have them mail it to Taurus for me? And what should I expect to pay?

(Indiana County)

Thanks for the info peoples. Can I take it to a gunshop and have them mail it to Taurus for me? And what should I expect to pay?
    I wouldn't.

Contact Taurus and ask them.
    They may want to give you a return number.
    They may send you a call tag.

You can ship directly to a manufacturer as a private person (there are some rules, ask Taurus the procedure), and they can ship right back to you as well.

I'd skip the FFL.
    Unnecessary fees and some dealers "forget" to ship customers guns out or "forget" to call you when they come back.

Seriously, call Taurus yourself first before going to a FFL.
    Last edited by 39flathead; May 27th, 2013 at 08:05 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks bud. Could I get it shipped to a friend's house? I don't want it shipped here cuz for some reason my mail never shows sometimes. Take for instance my permit. They mailed it on April 8 and I called a month later and the sherriff said they already mailed it and I should've gotten it so I had to make an all day trip to Greensburg to get it. The copy they sent still didn't show up. The last thing I want is my gun getting lost in the mail

(Indiana County)

Thanks bud. Could I get it shipped to a friend's house? I don't want it shipped here cuz for some reason my mail never shows sometimes. Take for instance my permit. They mailed it on April 8 and I called a month later and the sherriff said they already mailed it and I should've gotten it so I had to make an all day trip to Greensburg to get it. The copy they sent still didn't show up. The last thing I want is my gun getting lost in the mail
    No, they will ship it to your house, signature required.
    If you are not home, it will not be delivered, you will get a notice to come pick it up.

If you are worried, call around FFL's for their fees.

If you happened to buy it at Gander Mtn, I think they will ship it back and recieve it for free with their warranty, maybe other places do this as well.

I'd expect to pay $50+ if you go to a FFL for shipping and dealer fees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123