Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Universal Arms M1 Carbine

Just thought i'd throw this out as i think i got a fairly good deal. I know its not a true USGI Spec M1 Carbine. But i paid 450$ for a Universal M1 Carbine and its what i would consider excellent condition. Good shiny barrel groves, nice smooth action and nearly perfect stock (few scratches and a chip here and there)

I figure for a range toy it was a good deal. If someone can show me the error in my decision i got 30 days to return it to Cabelas...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Universal Arms M1 Carbine

Ok well i probably just answered my own question after hitting Google. What i have is a late model Universal, with a Cast reciever Sooo... i'll probably end up returning it tomorrow and saving my money for when the CMP gets their carbines up for sale.

But who knows what i'll actually do...

Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Bucks County)

If you are returning it and want all USGI check out:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...1-carbine.html

(Centre County)

Yea i think im gonna hold out for a CMP Carbine... Or failing that, getting one made by Auto-Ordinance.

Atleast waiting for the CMP ones gives me time to get another M1 Garand for a project rifle...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Universal M1Carbines were junk? I don't get into M1Carbines, so take this for what it is worth. I'm glad you are able to return it because I have heard bad things about this carbine. That being said...this is what I've heard versus my experience with this weapon.

(Berks County)

Universal's are for the most part ...junk.

I have dealt with several, only got one to work good (had to put in new springs). They figured they would re-invent the wheel and put in 2 recoil springs and made a couple of other changes.

Dump it and save your money for another.

Most Universals I have seen go for about $300-400.
    Last edited by 762xIan; January 4th, 2007 at 03:51 AM.

(Washington County)

One of the biggest things about Universals (esp. the ones with 2 recoil springs) is that some of them can fire out of battery. If this happens, the bolt exits the gun in a violent fashion. This was due to some parts being machined wrong, so it's always a good idea to check it before firing live.

To test it, chamber a primed case - NOT A LIVE ROUND!!!
    Retract the charging handle so that the bolt rotates to unlock the locking lugs, but the bolt doesn't retract.
    Pull the trigger.
    If it goes BANG, the gun can fire out of battery.
    If it doesn't, repeat the process with the charging handle retracted a little less each time. It shouldn't go bang until the handle it all the way forward.

I have a Universal Enforcer, which is the pistol version. Spits fire and barks very loud, even in broad daylight!

And yeah, the Universals are generally considered junk, but if you get a good deal and check them out, they can be OK guns. $450 seems kinda steep for a Universal though. I'm holding out for the CMP also.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Clarion County)

I like my universal. It works pretty well. It does seem like it could use new recoil springs though.
    For not much more than you spent on the universal you can have a new m1 from kahr arms.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Berks County)

Josh, if you need new springs check out Wolf, make sure you select Universal, because the spring kits are different for the two makes of Carbines.

Wolf makes good springs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Universal Arms M1 Carbine- AGREE

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Universal M1Carbines were junk? I don't get into M1Carbines, so take this for what it is worth. I'm glad you are able to return it because I have heard bad things about this carbine. That being said...this is what I've heard versus my experience with this weapon.
    I agree, junk. I had two of them and didn't keep them very long. Junk.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast