Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Will Gas Airsoft Help?

I have a SW MP40. I'm hoping I can get better at shooting it without using my precious ammo, and I also want to train using my pistol in combination with drawing from my holster.

With all that in mind I thought of a gas airsoft.

I found this:
    http://www.airsoftstation.com/smith-...#reviewwrapper

http://youtu.be/yQWKMz_skxg

I'm hoping I can get used to the sights, and handling better without ammo, before I start using my real MP40.

What do you guys think?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Will Gas Airsoft Help?

I have found that airsoft can be very helpful when one can't get to the range, but there are some things to remember:

1) It isn't a real firearm. The recoil and noise will be less.
    Don't shoot the airsoft thinking it is a perfect replica, including noise, recoil/ec.

2) It isn't always accurate. Air currents, drafts, lack of spin on the bb, etc. can all have a negative effect on the accuracy. Don't beat yourself up too much if your groups are bigger with an airsoft.

Don't expect your groups to be the same with your actual M&P

3) The weight is probably going to be different. While the grips, sights, etc. are likely very similar, there is still likely to be a weight difference.

4) The trigger might be different (same shape, but less #, etc.)

Even with these drawbacks, shooting an gas blow-back airsoft replica will still help keep your skills to a reasonable level when you can't otherwise get to the range. Been there, done that and found it beneficial.

(Allegheny County)

What rmagill said. Can't hurt in teaching safe gun handling basics to non-shooters either.

OTOH, supposedly LE's have adopted Systema airsoft guns for FonF training as opposed to the pricier "simunitions" stuff on the market. Not that Systemas are cheap by any measure...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

I tried the gas blow back airsoft and it's OK. You wind up with BB's everywhere and they are only accurate to about 7 yrds then they start planing off. You also need to buy gas. I used propane and added oil to the mag so it was cheaper. It's fun and you get direct feedback for a hit on target. After messing with one of these for a few months I wound up buying a SIRT training pistol. It has a green laser which is visible in daylight at 25 yrds no problem. It's also dead on accurate since there is no projectile. There is no blowback, but to me I think it doesn't matter. Here's the web site if you want to check it out:

http://nextleveltraining.com/
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I tried the gas blow back airsoft and it's OK. You wind up with BB's everywhere and they are only accurate to about 7 yrds then they start planing off. You also need to buy gas. I used propane and added oil to the mag so it was cheaper. It's fun and you get direct feedback for a hit on target. After messing with one of these for a few months I wound up buying a SIRT training pistol. It has a green laser which is visible in daylight at 25 yrds no problem. It's also dead on accurate since there is no projectile. There is no blowback, but to me I think it doesn't matter. Here's the web site if you want to check it out:

http://nextleveltraining.com/
    I found that stuffing a cardboard box with loosely crumpled paper and taping a target to the top of the box, then setting the box so the target faces me was effective at containing most, if not all, bbs.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    I found that stuffing a cardboard box with loosely crumpled paper and taping a target to the top of the box, then setting the box so the target faces me was effective at containing most, if not all, bbs.
    I shoot them and then run downrange and catch them.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lawrence County)

Any thoughtful trigger time will help you......this is why dry fire is so effective.

Lycanitgeneralizesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Any thoughtful trigger time will help you......this is why dry fire is so effective.

Lycanitgeneralizesthrope
    Dry fire is good for sure. I personally think that real live fire is the best by far. Nothing else can help you learn recoil management.

Try shopping around for ammo I've managed to acquire 300rds of .40 fmj's in the last 2 weeks for under $100. Probably could have bought more if I had more $.

As far as drawing from a holster.... Dry fire dry fire dry fire then do it more. Once you have truly perfected the draw then move to live fire.
    Last edited by B.A.; May 8th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Crawford County)

I use airsoft replicas to get used to the shape and size of the gun, and to become accustomed to the sight set up if it is different from what I am used to. I also use them and pellet rifles to get range time on the cheap to prevent my trigger finger from getting rusty cause I can't stand the squeaking and oiling of the joints.....
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Philadelphia County)

I'd just go for an air pistol (pellet/bb). The airsoft is probably better than nothing but something with better inherent accuracy will allow you to actually see the results of each shot.

Being able to hit smaller targets with an air pistol will help your marksmanship more than an airsoft that looks just like your real firearm but can't mechanically hold a fist sized group at 7yds.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast