Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Question Some AR Questions

I know I have a few threads going, I just have a few questions before the big AWB, if infact there is one. I am looking into buying/building a few AR's relativly soon. I have done some searching and research on here and I still have a few things i dont understand. I have a few questions im just going to shoot them off:

- If i was to sell an AR down the road (not for profit, prob just to trade in) would the value be the same if I had a factory Bushmaster say rather than a home built AR. Basically am I better off spending the few extra bucks and buying an AR and looking at it as an investment, rather than saving a few bucks and loosing money if I ever wanted to trade it in.

- I know lowers are a matter of personal choice. I just want one that will work with most mags. I have heard that a few brands (DPMS for one) have tight mag wells and dont really like USGI mags. Any brand i should take a look at or shy away from? Is there any real difference between a Stag Lower and a Bushmaster Lower? Also does anyone know if the custom PAFOA lowers from Anvil are still available or was that a bulk order/one time deal?

- Are the bushmaster parts worth it or no. I dont know if they are worth the extra money or just an over priced name brand and all hype. I am the type of guy who doesnt mind spending the few extra $$$ when it comes to quality, you definatly get what you pay for, but im not spending the money if they are all basically the same.

- If I do build an AR ( which I am going to) Can I use a Bushmaster lower and a DPMS Upper? Just hypothetical, basically can i mix and match.

I know there alot of questions there, im just trying to educate myself before I buy a few toys and wait for the shit storm to blow over. I do plan on building an AR just for fun and knowledge of the gun, but like I said I just wanted to know your guys opinion on buying in the next few months. Im sure I will have a few more questions and I will keep them contained in this thread. Thanks in advance, you guys are great.
    Last edited by Salt; April 19th, 2008 at 04:57 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Some AR Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    - If i was to sell an AR down the road (not for profit, prob just to trade in) would the value be the same if I had a factory Bushmaster say rather than a home built AR. Basically am I better off spending the few extra bucks and buying an AR and looking at it as an investment, rather than saving a few bucks and loosing money if I ever wanted to trade it in.
    Brand names generally have better resale....but are not necessarily better guns.

- I know lowers are a matter of personal choice. I just want one that will work with most mags. I have heard that a few brands (DPMS for one) have tight mag wells and dont really like USGI mags. Any brand i should take a look at or shy away from? Is there any real difference between a Stag Lower and a Bushmaster Lower? Also does anyone know if the custom PAFOA lowers from Anvil are still available or was that a bulk order/one time deal?
    There have been some bad runs that haunt some manufacturers like DPMS an Olympic, but from my experience the negative hype is just hype. Stag and RRA lowers are both made by CMT and, for the most part, identical. For the price, I build most everything off of Stag lowers. I find their upper to lower fit is tighter than a bushmaster.

Pretty sure you can still get a PAFOA lower...or any other custom design you want.

- Are the bushmaster parts worth it or no. I dont know if they are worth the extra money or just an over priced name brand and all hype. I am the type of guy who doesnt mind spending the few extra $$$ when it comes to quality, you definatly get what you pay for, but im not spending the money if they are all basically the same.
    Which parts? I like RRA for my lower parts kits.

- If I do build an AR ( which I am going to) Can I use a Bushmaster lower and a DPMS Upper? Just hypothetical, basically can i mix and match.
    Yes.

Lycantooearlytotypethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Which parts? I like RRA for my lower parts kits.
    Upper and Lower more specifically.

(Lawrence County)

Upper and Lower more specifically.
    Nothing wrong with Bushmaster gun. My eyes start to bleed if I see prices over $800, though. It's just too easy to build a really accurate and quality AR yourself for under $1000.....and if you want to focus on resale then Colt would be the ticket.

(Montgomery County)

If you are looking strictly at re sale value---buy a colt. Colt's are nice shooting guns too. There are a lot of colt purists out there and should an awb ever come again you will get a preium price for them. I like the le6920 model. They go for about $1300. They will hold their value and like i said, they will go up in value if there ever is another awb. Or, you could build 2 shooters for $1300 and not worry about selling them.

Edit---i have had great succes building stag lowers and buying complete stag uppers.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Or, you could build 2 shooters for $1300 and not worry about selling them.
    This is probably what im going to do. Thanks for the heads up on the Colts guys, some food for thought and thanks Lycanthrope for answering my list of questions.

I have another question. I dont have the money to buy a few rifles right off the shelf. With the possibility of an upcoming AWB would it be a good idea to buy a few lowers for future builds?

I have read on here before that there is no way of telling the way in which it will be written and in past AWB's you couldnt own a lower pre-ban and then buy an upper post-ban and assemble it. Would it be wise to put all my eggs into one basket so to speak? Build an AR or 2, and buy a few lowers, or just build 3 AR's and have them. Does anyone else plan on going the poor man route and stock up an componets for future builds or is it not a wise decision?
    Last edited by Salt; April 19th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.

(Lawrence County)

It's hard to say what a new assault weapons ban would entail.

But.....You could never go wrong with lowers.

(Montgomery County)

I know there is a lot of talk about up and coming AWB's. Me, i'm not sooo worried. I think the new president will have enough distractions already to be worried about pushing another AWB through. I could be wrong and it is never a bad idea to have a few exrta items around but i would not panic buy. Maybe my veiw on this is because i had enough mags and ar's prior to the 94 ban and after the ban, I countinued buying more.

If i remember correctly, even if you have "extra" lowers, they would have needed to have been built into complete "pre ban" rifles prior to the ban. Who knows what the wording of a new AWB would be.

I will suggest that we as gun owners continue to pay attention to what is going on around us and have an open line of communication with current and future politicions stating your views on silly gun laws.

Edit---i would suggest that you buy your ar's and stock up on mags and ammo though. Ammo prices are going through the roof and you can never have too many mags. I'd do this instead of haveing exrta lowers.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; April 20th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.