Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Expunged Record and Applying for LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Here is a bit of info about expungements...

The FBI doesn't expunge your records regardless as to what the state courts have ordered. Only the state and lessor courts expunge the records.

So, when a PICS/NICS call is placed, they initially see the charges/convictions on the FBI records, and often deny based upon that. Then, you have to challenge it and prove that it was expunged.

Once challenged with PICS you will have a PIN that your FFL can give to the operator to speed things along the next time. This PICS PIN is only good for PICS checks since the PSP decides approvals/denials.

You can also apply with NICS to get a federal PIN to help keep you from getting flagged again even with a PICS check. You will have to send proof of expungement and fill out the application. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...eal-file-video
    Walked in today and bought a new 9mm no problem at all.

(Franklin County)

My experience with an expungement.
    Several years ago I had a record expunged. I have since bought firearms and obtained a LTCF with no issue. That being said, the expungement didn't exactly go as it should have. I noticed that I was getting turned down for government contract jobs that I should've been getting. After a few of these jobs went by I got curious and had a friend of mine (State trooper) run my record, it still showed my case. As it turned out an agency neglected to expunge it. The judge was extremely pissed when I informed him that his order had been ignored. Anyway,
    An expungement is a court order, anyone who doesn't comply is in contempt of court. With your expungement you shouldv'e gotten a piece of paper telling you to destroy all records of your case or you would be in contempt. To me that means I'm not to mention it to anyone or I've violated the court order.

I don't know about anybody else, but when I applied for my LTCF in Bucks County they did not contact my references.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger88 View Post
    Walked in today and bought a new 9mm no problem at all.
    Then the system worked for you.. But don't be surprised in the future if you do get a delay or denial. For the most part the Instant Check system works pretty good. But even clean history folks get delays and denials at times.

If you ever get a denial, challenge it with the PSP. You'll get a PIN to use for future purchases. You should then also follow up with a voluntary thingy with the FBI to help keep it from happening again(also helps if you make a purchase in a state that uses NICS).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123