Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Expunged Record and Applying for LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger88 View Post
    No I haven't even applied yet. Just asking the questions beofre I do. I'd rather not have them know I even had a record. I'm wanted to know if they could even ask about that stuff or if it was more like questions about my character and such.

Well if your references don't know that you had a record then you have nothing to worry about even if they are asked they can't say you did because they don't know about it. When the sheriff calls up they can ask any question they want I suppose but they will probably ask things to find out about your character and they will probably ask if they know you have a record.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Bucks County)

No I haven't even applied yet. Just asking the questions beofre I do. I'd rather not have them know I even had a record. I'm wanted to know if they could even ask about that stuff or if it was more like questions about my character and such.
    Ok well that's good. I was hoping they wouldn't ask them about me having a record or anything. I'd rather not have people know.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Himni View Post
    Well if your references don't know that you had a record then you have nothing to worry about even if they are asked they can't say you did because they don't know about it. When the sheriff calls up they can ask any question they want I suppose but they will probably ask things to find out about your character and they will probably ask if they know you have a record.
    Ok thanks. I figured as much. Can they tell references what the record was for, even though it has been expunged?

(Allegheny County)

Ok thanks. I figured as much. Can they tell references what the record was for, even though it has been expunged?
    They ask your references question not the other way around. They shouldn't tell your references any more than you used them as a reference but they cannot tell them you used them as a reference for a LTCF.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

They ask your references question not the other way around. They shouldn't tell your references any more than you used them as a reference but they cannot tell them you used them as a reference for a LTCF.
    I know. That's what I meant. They can't tell my references about the record I'm assuming.

(Allegheny County)

I know. That's what I meant. They can't tell my references about the record I'm assuming.
    I am pretty sure if the sheriff's office found you had a record that would prohibit you from getting a LTCF they probably wouldn't even get to the part of the process were they would call a reference up. I don't know legally if they could tell your references anything (except that you are applying for a LTCF I know they can't do that) but why would they? That would be like ordering a pizza from a pizza shop and then delivering a pizza to that shop and then picking up your pizza. Their only reason for calling a reference is to get a reference from them about you not to give your references a reference on you.

(Bucks County)

I am pretty sure if the sheriff's office found you had a record that would prohibit you from getting a LTCF they probably wouldn't even get to the part of the process were they would call a reference up. I don't know legally if they could tell your references anything (except that you are applying for a LTCF I know they can't do that) but why would they? That would be like ordering a pizza from a pizza shop and then delivering a pizza to that shop and then picking up your pizza. Their only reason for calling a reference is to get a reference from them about you not to give your references a reference on you.
    I don't see why I should be prohibited. I have since purchased a rifle, with a hitch (denial then reversed) but still. After that I paid to have a background check done through the state police and everything came back clean. Said no record. I suppose its worth a shot. Thanks a lot for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Hi guys, i'm new here. I am going to apply to get my LTCF soon and I had a question. I have had my juvenile record expunged a while ago and was wondering if there will be any issues with my application. The reason I am asking is because a little while after my record was expunged I went to purchase an AR. I was denied at first but then challenged it. I even had my own background check done through the state police and it came back clean. After I did that I sent the challenge form in and it was reversed, got my AR and life was good.

I was just hoping I wouldn't have any issues with the LTCF app. like I had when I purchased my AR, even though my record was expunged. I was also curious about what questions would be asked to my references. I just didn't want anyone finding about my record, I would feel embarrassed. Thank you very much guys!
    Perhaps because I'm older or just stupid but the guy who is giving you all kinds of advice is not a lawyer. I would highly suggest not listening to anything he has told you. Just my opinion but carry on with your life as you see fit. I am not a lawyer and therefore can't give you what you wish in the way of information. I think you already answered your own questions when you state you are prepared for the worst but hope for the best. Keep your challenge approval for the AR handy as that might assist you with the LTCF if you are denied. Just my opinion.
    Personally, I think you'll be fine.

CL

(Jefferson County)

Here is a bit of info about expungements...

The FBI doesn't expunge your records regardless as to what the state courts have ordered. Only the state and lessor courts expunge the records.

So, when a PICS/NICS call is placed, they initially see the charges/convictions on the FBI records, and often deny based upon that. Then, you have to challenge it and prove that it was expunged.

Once challenged with PICS you will have a PIN that your FFL can give to the operator to speed things along the next time. This PICS PIN is only good for PICS checks since the PSP decides approvals/denials.

You can also apply with NICS to get a federal PIN to help keep you from getting flagged again even with a PICS check. You will have to send proof of expungement and fill out the application. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...eal-file-video
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast