Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default hunting and fishing misdemeanor 2?????

Heard something that some game violations now carry a criminal charge. I never wanted to see this in PA.

Fines OK, but prison for taking game...

I get repeat offenders need to be punished, but to me fishing and hunting are about food.

I heard from someone there is now a criminal M2 for some offense.

Doesn't an M2 carry sentence of possibly 2 years?

So now getting caught taking fish or screw up while Fishing or hunting may cost you the ability to own a firearm?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: hunting and fishing misdemeanor 2?????

Many times it is not about the food, but rather nitwits chasing trophies.

Some offenses are now Felony grade.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...es_take_e.html

"A Pennsylvania law that took effect today targets poachers by imposing much stricter penalties, including felony status, jail time and larger fines."

Be safe (and don't poach, not even your eggs).

Scott

(Jefferson County)

There have been certain game offenses that have been higher misdemeanors this whole time.

Not all fishermen and hunters do so for food. Many of those laws are to punish folks who are doing things illegally just to do it. I really don't have a problem with a true sustenance hunter/poacher. ..you know, that poor guy who's been out of work for a year, has a wife and toddler he cant feed. ...those type of folks only take what they need. I probably wouldn't be here today for a couple deer that dad had to take illegally when I was a young kid to make sure there was food.

While those type of folks above can get caught up by the law, the laws really are meant to nab the greedy, selfish, and those with malicious intent. And it is usually those type of folks who get caught. Rarely to you hear of a sustenance poacher getting caught.

So, if you the type that minds his P's and Q's, you really don't have anything to worry about. Those who need to worry are those who intentionally go out of their way to break the law.

Yes, a M2 carries a max of 2 years. But it takes a possible max that exceeds 2 years, or is enumerated as a prohibited offense to get your gun rights taken away.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I probably wouldn't be here today for a couple deer that dad had to take illegally when I was a young kid to make sure there was food.
    The above is true for me too. When growing up I saw a few deer that were oddly not taken to the butcher, but were butchered in the basement and it wasn't the Fall hunting season! But this was for sustenance and my Dad certainly wasn't "trophy doe-hunting"....

The PGC could create a "sustenance licensing" program where people can get an additional tag or three if they can provide proof that they are financially struggling and need some additional food for their family. Thoughts? I know, more agency/government meddling, but in this case it sounds like a decent thing to do.

Finally, here in GMU 2B, the doe tags are never sold out. So if you're close to Allegheny county you can get another doe tag to help fill the freezer if need be.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the feed back.

I just see this criminality as a way to please PETA and get animals listed the same as humans.

I am aware of those abusing the resource, but criminal punishment?

(Lancaster County)

Reckless firearm discharge is a criminal offense IIRC, and from what I've heard people say about what goes on in the woods needs to be enforced rigorously yet for some reason isn't.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Somerset County)

Most WCO's maintain a list or at least know of folks who could use some 'assistance', they often take fresh roadkills to them. A 'subsistence' permit would be a nightmare to administer.

As to criminalizing poaching, hell yes. Most of the poachers the new, stronger laws are targeted at are repeat offenders or are making big $ off of the poached animals. Look through the last couple of years of PGC news releases, it's no problem to find multi-kill, multi-perp incidents, often from out of state. The old system was a slap on the wrist, the law had no teeth.

Dale

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ettorment1916 View Post
    The PGC could create a "sustenance licensing" program where people can get an additional tag or three if they can provide proof that they are financially struggling and need some additional food for their family. Thoughts? I know, more agency/government meddling, but in this case it sounds like a decent thing to do.
    I agree if people need it, they should get it. However a sustenance program I believe would be an utter nightmare. Sooner or later someone would figure out a way to abuse it, or somebody will cry because they can't qualify for it, etc. etc. Look at welfare. I remember when it was an embarassment to be on it, now some people wear it like a trophy. People having children in order to get more money and such. Quite frankly, I find it disgusting. Hey, I love hunting... all hunting. Don't have to make a kill for it to be a successful hunt. Cannot begin to count the number of whitetail that walked right under my stand and I never even picked up my gun or bow. When I run out of deer meat in the freezer, I'll take another deer and I'll be good for a year or two. Until then I'm just biding my time waiting for that "buck of a llifetime" to come strolling by.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Heard something that some game violations now carry a criminal charge. I never wanted to see this in PA.

Fines OK, but prison for taking game...

I get repeat offenders need to be punished, but to me fishing and hunting are about food.

I heard from someone there is now a criminal M2 for some offense.

Doesn't an M2 carry sentence of possibly 2 years?

So now getting caught taking fish or screw up while Fishing or hunting may cost you the ability to own a firearm?
    People like to imagine poaching in a "country boy can survive" romanticized scenario where a man feeds his family by running outlaw of the game commission. The reality is that most poaching is about 1 of three things- Money, entertainment, or greed. I have no problem with prison sentences for people who thieve big game animals from me (the public) because they think its fun to jacklight deer, because thats the only way they can get a good-racked buck, or because they sell the meat out of state for a tidy profit. Screw those people. Take their guns, take the vehicle they use to poach, and lock them up. I admit, if the choice is between a poacher or a violent criminal occupying a cell, I'd rather the violent one be behind bars, but in theory I am A-OK with this.

Talk to WCO's when you get a chance, both Wildlife and waterways, you'll find the instances of dealing with poachers feeding their families with game are rare. Odd how people will take twice their limit of trout to "feed their families" from a lake where panfish are abundant and limited to a measly few dozen a day.

I found a poached turkey about a month ago. Shot and dumped at a pull off in a garbage bag. Feet and beard cut off, rest of the bird untouched. Spurs and beard make a pretty thin turkey soup.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    People like to imagine poaching in a "country boy can survive" romanticized scenario where a man feeds his family by running outlaw of the game commission. The reality is that most poaching is about 1 of three things- Money, entertainment, or greed. I have no problem with prison sentences for people who thieve big game animals from me (the public) because they think its fun to jacklight deer, because thats the only way they can get a good-racked buck, or because they sell the meat out of state for a tidy profit. Screw those people. Take their guns, take the vehicle they use to poach, and lock them up. I admit, if the choice is between a poacher or a violent criminal occupying a cell, I'd rather the violent one be behind bars, but in theory I am A-OK with this.

Talk to WCO's when you get a chance, both Wildlife and waterways, you'll find the instances of dealing with poachers feeding their families with game are rare. Odd how people will take twice their limit of trout to "feed their families" from a lake where panfish are abundant and limited to a measly few dozen a day.

I found a poached turkey about a month ago. Shot and dumped at a pull off in a garbage bag. Feet and beard cut off, rest of the bird untouched. Spurs and beard make a pretty thin turkey soup.
    +1+1+1+1+1+1 Spend time researching how to, if you don't know. The amount of info available on the internet is amazing. Scout the areas intended to hunt and learn. And, I may be in the minority here but, spend time at the range and sight your rifle in. I hunt with levers, bolts, and even a single shot break away. Tradition may be meaningless to some, but it holds value to others. Ok it's not because of the "spray and pray" but everybody here knows darn well that there are people out there who will do it. Hell, there's people doing it now with lever actions and bolt actions. I'd be willing to bet everybody here who has hunted has heard somebody out there emptying the gun at a deer off in the distance. I know I've heard it alot more than on one occasion on public land.
    Last edited by paptini; May 10th, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fingers typing faster than brain is working.