Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ohio resident camping PA?

Hello, I am an Ohio resident. I work and camp in PA can I carry a rifle (10/22) in my vehicle going to camp and work legally?

Thanks in advance!

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Ohio resident camping PA?

Quote Originally Posted by skyscratcher5150 View Post
    Hello, I am an Ohio resident. I work and camp in PA can I carry a rifle (10/22) in my vehicle going to camp and work legally?

Thanks in advance!
    Loaded or unloaded? If unloaded whee do you store the ammo?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by skyscratcher5150 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Do you have a non-res PA LTCF or a accepted PA reciprocal license? If not, than.

§6106. - Firearms not to be carried without a license.

8. Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

http://amgoa.org/Pennsylvania-Gun-Laws#6106

(Northampton County)

The above is about "firearms". He is inquiring about a Ruger 10/22 which is a long arm.
    Having an LTCF is moot.

The answer is yes. You may keep it on your vehicle unloaded. Loaded magazine is fine. It must be in a separate compartment. If you have a s oft case with a pouch or zipper pocket on the outside you may store loaded mags there if you wish. Loose ammo may be with the rifle.
    It can be anywhere in the vehicle also.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    The above is about "firearms". He is inquiring about a Ruger 10/22 which is a long arm.
    Having an LTCF is moot.

The answer is yes. You may keep it on your vehicle unloaded. Loaded magazine is fine. It must be in a separate compartment. If you have a s oft case with a pouch or zipper pocket on the outside you may store loaded mags there if you wish. Loose ammo may be with the rifle.
    It can be anywhere in the vehicle also.
    Since when is a Ruger 10/22 not a firearm?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Since when is a Ruger 10/22 not a firearm?
    Since the definition of "firearm" in that section of the law.

TITLE 18

PA CRIMES CODES

§6102. Definitions.

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Does not include longarms in that section of law.

(Northampton County)

LTCF only applies to longarms in Philly and during a state of emergency. (unless I'm forgetting one). Outside those two situations a LTCF has no bearing on your possession of longarms, loaded or unloaded, in a car or on foot.

(Jefferson County)

As described above..

Since there is no law against carrying a rifle or shotgun outside of Philly or absent an emergency, no license is needed - thus a LTCF has no bearing. While in Philly or during an emergency a LTCF is required for long guns.

The only other real issue is that at no time can a loaded long gun be carried in, on, or upon a vehicle unless you are excepted under certain clauses of 6106(b) or Title 34 Game laws as described in 6106.1.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 6th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

The OP might also want to check the campground rules, most of the campgrounds I camp at have a "no gun" policy on the property.

(York County)

Dont forget, you can carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle if you have a ccw from any state and you can OC in PA without any ccw. Assuming no SOE and you know about the school distance law and Philly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast