Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Firearms training in NJ / Issues for PA residents?

Tactical Response is conducting training classes this summer in Winslow, NJ. I'm considering registering for these classes, but I'm a little worried about NJ gun laws. Are there any issues I may run into being a PA resident? Can I use 15 round magazines? Can I even be in possession of a firearm without a NJ license?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Firearms training in NJ / Issues for PA residents?

15 round mags are the limit, so your mags are OK.
    I've never shot in Jersey but I know a few guys that have shot IDPA matches in NJ. They make sure their guns are unloaded and the ammo is stored in a different area in the car. One guy even breaks his gun down!

No hollow point ammo and go straight to the match and straight back to Pa when finished.
    Don't even stop to take a piss!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    15 round mags are the limit, so your mags are OK.
    I've never shot in Jersey but I know a few guys that have shot IDPA matches in NJ. They make sure their guns are unloaded and the ammo is stored in a different area in the car. One guy even breaks his gun down!

No hollow point ammo and go straight to the match and straight back to Pa when finished.
    Don't even stop to take a piss!

This reminds me of when we had to drive from West Germany to West Berlin through East Germany. Don't stop, stay in the car, etc.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lehigh County)

I'm going to the range in NJ in about an hour... My instructor told me lock guns in seperate area from your locked ammo.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

Hollow points are not illegal. They are legal to posses, shoot, transport, its an adder charge for criminals without a permit. Just don't leave any lose rounds in you car if you not going to and from house/ place of shooting.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Delaware County)

Their Fighting Pistol class requires the use of a holster.

Would it be legal to use a concealed holster, specifically the MTAC, during the pistol class?

zoom
    Re: Firearms training in NJ / Issues for PA residents?
    Their Fighting Pistol class requires the use of a holster.

Would it be legal to use a concealed holster, specifically the MTAC, during the pistol class?
    If your on private property, carry all you want. The laws don't apply if your allowed to have a gun there.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Berks County)

Why would you want to train in NJ????

I would think the only thing you could learn in a class there is how to turn your firearms in...........

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by squinn View Post
    Tactical Response is conducting training classes this summer in Winslow, NJ. I'm considering registering for these classes, but I'm a little worried about NJ gun laws. Are there any issues I may run into being a PA resident? Can I use 15 round magazines? Can I even be in possession of a firearm without a NJ license?
    Hmm, that's a tricky question. Technically, I think you can't possess a gun in NJ without a NJ firearms ID and federal law won't protect you if you are bringing the gun to a place (NJ) where you're not allowed to possess it. I still have my NJ firearms ID -- wonder if it's still valid -- a question for another day.

I used to live in jersey and the custom was always gun locked in one case, ammo locked in another, preferable all locked in the trunk, and the police did not consider that to be "possession" for purposes of transport to/from the range (I was told this by the state police, now more than 25 years ago, so who knows what crazy customs have developed since then).

I also attended a training course in NJ and was instructed to do the locked case thing, no hollow points or EFMJ, 15 round mags max., and stop for nothing other than gas. No problems arose so I can't say what would have happened if stopped and through some fiasco ended up having the car searched. Another question would be what if you have to stay overnight in a hotel if it's far from where you live.

It may well be that a training course is considered a legitimate justification for bringing a gun into jersey so the locked case thing under federal law works. Sorry I can't be much help here. Maybe ask the course sponsors to get a letter from the NJ state police saying it's OK.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Hmm, that's a tricky question. Technically, I think you can't possess a gun in NJ without a NJ firearms ID and federal law won't protect you if you are bringing the gun to a place (NJ) where you're not allowed to possess it. I still have my NJ firearms ID -- wonder if it's still valid -- a question for another day.

I think philly is on the right line of thinking. Isn't there some kinda owner ID or registration there? I know NY has registration and I remember fishing it up one time about how non residents had to register what they brought in, so I'm assuming NJ is just as bad. To and from means both destinations are ok, so that isn't relevant here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast