Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Northampton County Deciding Whether to Call References on License to Carry Firearms A

http://blog.princelaw.com/2013/04/28...-applications/

I don't know if a thread has been started elsewhere on this one, but it is interesting. It's a little hard to imagine that anyone would give two references that would bad mouth them, although the employer part, if that is included in references, could be a bite.

Northampton County Deciding Whether to Call References on License to Carry Firearms Applications

As some of you are aware, recently, Northampton County Executive John Stoffa announced that he would request that the County Council consider whether it should hire more employees at the Sheriff’s office to call references on License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) Applications. In response, I filed a letter with Sheriff Miller, Executive Stoffa, the County Solicitor, the Pennsylvania State Police and the contacted state representatives informing them that any contact of a listed reference is in violation of 18 PA.C.S. 6111(g)(3.1) and 6111(i).

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Northampton County Deciding Whether to Call References on License to Carry Firear

County Council consider whether it should hire more employees at the Sheriff’s
    Let's grow the government even bigger. Taxes are too low. Cronies need jobs.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Northampton County Deciding Whether to Call References on License to Carry Firear

If they're not calling references, then what the hell is taking so long??

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 10PointHunter View Post
    If they're not calling references, then what the hell is taking so long??
    PICS checks, the sheer volume of applications to go through, and the other responsibilities those deputies have would be my guess.

(Juniata County)

They are public servants.

Tell them they have to work. Tell them they are stating until 7 every night, and coming in at 7 am as well.

I have to stay late all the time. I get mandated because a co-worker is sick. I have to sleep at work when the weather is bad.

That is called being a grown up. If they have eons that needs dive,, then they need to do it.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    They are public servants.

Tell them they have to work. Tell them they are stating until 7 every night, and coming in at 7 am as well.

I have to stay late all the time. I get mandated because a co-worker is sick. I have to sleep at work when the weather is bad.

That is called being a grown up. If they have eons that needs dive,, then they need to do it.
    They, by law, have up to 45 days. If it takes them 45 days, so what? They are following the law. I might be shorter than you would personally like, but they can.

(Northampton County)

Talking Re: Northampton County Deciding Whether to Call References on License to Carry Firear

I actually have my application sitting in front of me for Northampton County (will be applying monday most likely). Glad I spoke with my references already. Still, if it's illegal to call the references, why are they on there in the first place?

I understand Stoffa's confusion, but having worked with Prince a few times I'm confident in their understanding of the laws. It could have been a politician speaking without researching first - not like that ever happens

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by msarro View Post
    I actually have my application sitting in front of me for Northampton County (will be applying monday most likely). lad I spoke with my references already. Still, if it's illegal to call the references, why are they on there in the first place?

I understand Stoffa's confusion, but having worked with Prince a few times I'm confident in their understanding of the laws. It could have been a politician speaking without researching first - not like that ever happens
    Thought it's illegal for them to say why they're calling.
    I think they can say "is msarro addicted to drugs? violent?"

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    ^ This.

The police can call anyone they want to... and they can call your references.

However, because they are calling in reference to a LTCF applicant and there are laws protecting LTCF applicants, the Sheriff's office cannot disclose that the applicant is an LTCF applicant.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    My understanding is that they could call the people listed as references - and ask them non-specific questions like: "Do you know of anyone who shouldn't have access to firearms?"

Doing it that way would not disclose the applicants name, but it certainly wouldn't narrow the scope of any potential investigation into the applicant's background either - which makes the whole point of having "references" ..... well, kinda pointless.

However, think of all the potential leads they'd have on people needing to be investigated! A big bonus for all those "pre-crime" advocates. A chicken in every pot, and a cop in every household...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast