Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default traveling with CCW

My father was asked by a friend of ours that used to live here in PA and now lives in Florida. He has asked my father to drive his car from FL back to PA as he is giving it to his sister. He offered to pay my dads flight and my dad offered to pay for me to go. I'm going to contact the airline after the ticket is purchased about how to go about taking my firearm. That I can figure out. What I am worried about is driving back with it. I have a PA LTCF which is not honored in SC or MD...I doubt I can talk my dad into going AROUND those state lol. What action can I take to make it legal? I don't think I have enough time to apply for a non resident permit from another state. Is there a way I can store my carry gun in the car so I can legally have it when driving through those states?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: traveling with CCW

Yes

Search this forum for FOPA. You are covered to travel safely "between" a state where you are legal to carry to another state you are legal to carry.

Gun needs to be unloaded

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Dauphin County)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

In MD you have to transport under FOPA.

In SC you can carry in a closeable glovebox or console. Note, the lid of the glovebox or console MUST close.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

If you make an overnight stop, Virginia would be the place. North Carolina is another obvious choice, but be aware of their truly horrible restrictions on where you can legally carry (e.g., no place that serves alcohol or charges admission) -- and it's a "must inform officer" state.

Mind your manners and don't even make eye contact in Maryland.