Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philly Gun UNit

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Philly Gun UNit

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Well now that isn't fair. She did do her job professionally. She was tasked with following the rules she was given and did so in a polite manner. If she did so now hopefully shed do so if/when we tell Philly to shove it with their illegal rules.

But your analogy is still very true. Her job was to rape your rights and she did it politely.
    She is a sworn officer that took an oath to follow the law.
    Her "job" or "tasks" mean NOTHING.

Don't make excuses for people that break the law.
    Working in the gun unit, she should know the laws front and back, to the letter and follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Working in the gun unit, she should know the laws front and back, to the letter and follow them.
    Actually, working in the GPU, she should know the Department-mandated process for issuing LTCF's -- and comply with that process to the letter, or transfer to another position. That process was probably developed by whomever runs the GPU in cooperation with someone from Legal, with signoff from someone further up the chain.

It is not the job of the officers in the GPU to interpret the law, nor would we want them to. If we have complaints with the process, it is management's fault, not the officer issuing the license. We should be addressing these complaints with management (both from the legal compliance side and the GPU side). After all, it's not like we don't know who runs the GPU nor do we know who runs Legal.

For all you know, the officer the OP dealt with hates the process as much as you or I do and disagrees with how it's being implemented, but isn't in a position to change it. Or, maybe she thinks it's too liberal (little "l"). Who knows? More importantly, who cares -- she's doing the job she's been tasked to do, under the constraints she's been given.

(Tioga County)

Why does philly take 45 days? I walk out of my sheriff's office with my new one in about 10-15 minutes. Just curious why it takes them so long for such a simple process.

Quote Originally Posted by nitechampion View Post
    Why does philly take 45 days?
    The law says they have 45 days to investigate the applicant and render a decision on issuance. As long as they comply with that (a whole issue unto itself), "why" doesn't matter. This isn't any different than most people waiting until April 15th to file their taxes when they owe money. They do it because they can and still comply with the law.

That said, there's no reason why they can't issue faster except that they choose not to issue faster. As long as they comply with the law (which they frequently don't, it seems), no harm, no foul.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nitechampion View Post
    Why does philly take 45 days? I walk out of my sheriff's office with my new one in about 10-15 minutes. Just curious why it takes them so long for such a simple process.
    Well, first they are lazy, and incompetent. Second, they want to make it as difficult as possible for law abiding subjects to be able to legally carry a firearm. They are afraid you may shoot one of their relatives in a robbery or car jacking incident while you are legally defending yourself.

The Mayor, Police Commissioner, and DA are all elected by the same people that commit the crimes or are related to those that commit the crimes.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly GPU

KChristy, I had a similar experience, and, like you, I was treated as a citizen and an adult. I think that if your paperwork is in order, such as NOT using coupons from Sav-a-Lot as a form of ID, life gets very easy after that. "My" cop told me 45 regular days, but that I should expect to see my letter in half that time. Now she did comment on my military service, so that may be the reason for that, but that was not indicated directly.
    Sure enough, 20 calendar days later, got my letter.
    I do not feel competent enough to comment on what paper or what questions violate the law, but I do know this-the only things talked about were on the first page of the application, I was asked to produce only enough ID and proof of residence to indicate such, and, at no time, did I feel that I was being denied anything by this officer. In fact, when I came back to get my card and prints, two officers were fighting over the PPD decision to allow ,45 and .40 now. I spent more time talking about that with them than getting my LCTF.
    KChristy, I am glad that it's going well for you too. Will be interested in the time for you toi get the letter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12