I have declared and checked a handgun many times using US Air, Delta, Southwest, and Air Tran. I use a hard sided pistol safe with a combination lock, secured by cable inside a large black soft bag. I use a TSA combination lock on the outside of the soft black bag. I have never experience any issues flying around the country using these airlines. No one has ever touched my handgun, just had me sign the declaration and place a copy inside the small gun case, then place the gun case back into my larger soft bag.

I am looking for personal feedback from anyone who has declared and checked a handgun and flown American Airlines. In particular, would the hard sided locked case secured in a larger soft bag be acceptable to the airlines. My company booked me on a flight with American instead of the airlines I normally use.

Their web site just mentions the hard sided locked case. The web site did not say anything about being able to place the smaller locked safe into a larger soft bag. I called and discuss with an employee and she believed I would be OK, however I would appreciate any feedback from personal experiences.

Thanks in advance !!!