Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bradford County)

Default Age 19. Conceal Handgun in PA with Maine Conceal Carry Handgun permit

I'm 19 years old and I want to start carrying my pistol that I got for Christmas. Can I legally conceal carry my handgun with a Concealed Carry Handgun permit from Maine? I think I can but I don't want to be wrong.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Age 19. Conceal Handgun in PA with Maine Conceal Carry Handgun permit

Also the Maine permit requires proof of handgun safety. Would some training with a FFL dealer and his signature be sufficient?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Age 19. Conceal Handgun in PA with Maine Conceal Carry Handgun permit

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAK Nuggets View Post
    Also the Maine permit requires proof of handgun safety. Would some training with a FFL dealer and his signature be sufficient?
    Usually, the training has some formal requirements. Military or police firearms training. NRA training. Something like that. Having Joe the gun dealer go over firearms safety probably doesn't cut it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAK Nuggets View Post
    I'm 19 years old and I want to start carrying my pistol that I got for Christmas. Can I legally conceal carry my handgun with a Concealed Carry Handgun permit from Maine? I think I can but I don't want to be wrong.
    While I believe this is legal. Don't expect your average LEO to know that it is. If you get pulled over there is a high chance your firearm will be confiscated, you will be arrested, and you will have to prove its legal in court. Possibly at the expense of a lawyer.

I'm betting many DA's might consider this a "loophole" and make things very difficult for you.

I'm not saying not to do it. But be aware of what you are embarking on.

*** I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. ***
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Delaware County)

Pretty sure the Maine CCW reciprocity doesn't cover you in PA for CC on foot

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Pretty sure the Maine CCW reciprocity doesn't cover you in PA for CC on foot
    I would agree with this. I believe for a ME permit to be valid in PA it would need to be possessed by a ME resident, not a non-resident. I wanted my Daughter to get one until I read more about it. Still may be good to have if you travel to States that may honor it. Also, as Jon touched on, it would still cover you transporting in a vehicle.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...-Agreement.pdf

Be safe (and good luck).

Scott

If I'm reading this correctly, PA has reciprocity with only a ME RESIDENT Permit. Do you live in ME as your primary residence?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

I'd also like to ponder, that if you are in another state with a permit, aren't you obligated to follow the current state's permit laws that you are in? In other words, you have to be 21 in PA to have a handgun and / or LTCF, so being 19 might put you in a world of pain if something were to happen or if someone asked?
    Last edited by CL3; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, PA has reciprocity with only a ME RESIDENT Permit. Do you live in ME as your primary residence?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

I'd also like to ponder, that if you are in another state with a permit, aren't you obligated to follow the current state's permit laws that you are in? In other words, you have to be 21 in PA to have a handgun and / or LTCF, so being 19 might put you in a world of pain if something were to happen or if someone asked?
    You do not need to be 21 yo in PA to have a handgun. The OP stated that he has one. You must be 21 yo to be issued a LTCF in PA. Also, one can get a Sportsman's Permit at 18. He could even OC what he has now, within the Law. I worked armed in PA at 18 yo.

To your point, I believe a 19 yo ME resident could lawfully carry in PA on a ME permit.

Be safe (and compliant).

Scott

(Chester County)

Weird, I'll be doing the opposite next week. Going to ME from PA. Looks like Maine will recognize my PA permit judging from the PDF that's attached.

(Philadelphia County)

The only way you can legally carry in PA with a Maine permit is to carry in your vehicle with your Maine then Open Carry on foot. You just have to avoid being within 1000 feet of any school zone, and can't open carry in Philadelphia, You can still carry in your vehicle in Philadelphia but be careful.

Holding a Maine Non-Resident Permit will not allow you to conceal carry on foot [concealed that is] but will allow you to carry in a vehicle either open or concealed [IN THE VEHICLE].

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    In Pennsylvania, persons who are not prohibited by
    law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun
    in plain sight with no license except in vehicles,
    cities of the first class (Philadelphia), and where prohibited
    specifically by statute.

Ref: 18 Pa.C.S. §6106, §6107,
    §6108

There are also two cases that specifically state that a
    person may carry a firearm openly:
    Commonwealth v. Ortiz: paopencarry.org/Ortiz-v-Commonwealth
    Commonwealth v. Hawkins: paopencarry.org/pdfs/hawkins.pdf
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; July 29th, 2013 at 11:35 PM.