Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Franklin County)

Thumbs up Went to Maryland...

Well it happened. I got stopped in MD while transporting thru the state. It was about 10am when I crossed the state line. I had stopped at exit 3 on I-81 south in PA to disarm, lock the gun up separate from ammo and put it all in the trunk. I crossed into Maryland headed south into WV and then to VA. I was in MD all of 5 minutes. The baby was fussing in the back seat so I reached back to grab a bottle out of the diaper bag. Doing so caused me to swerve a bit. I corrected then went about trying to get his bottle and give it to him. Next thing I know I see the lights… I thought to myself “Oh great”
    I stopped and the officer walked up…

Officer: “License and registration please. (Pause) Do you know why I stopped you”?
    Me: “Not really sir”
    Officer: “You were swerving; I wanted to make sure you weren’t drinking (pause looking into my wallet)

I realized I hadn’t moved my LTCF out of view in my wallet. The officer obviously noticed my LTCF.

Officer: “Do you have a firearm in the vehicle”?
    Me: “…. I have a firearm in the trunk locked and separate from the ammo in accordance with the federal interstate transportation laws”.
    Officer: “Where are you headed”?
    Me: “To northern VA to meet with some friends”
    Officer: “Ok. Keep your hands on the wheel, I’ll be right back”
    5 minutes pass, he comes back.
    Officer: “Here are you license and registration back. Please watch your driving and reaching around, some people can be dangerous on these roads. They could hit you.
    Me: “I know sir, thanks.
    Officer: “(Pause with a friendly kind of inquiry) what kind of firearm do you have”?
    Me: “It’s a Glock 36 .45 caliber”.
    Officer: “Nice choice, I like Glocks. But hurry up and get to WV and avoid this state”. Said in almost a “Friendly I’m on your side” kind of way
    Me: “Thanks you sir, have a good day”.
    And that was that. Off I went. It’s good to know there are still LEO’s out there that respect the 2A… especially in MD.
    Last edited by Pro2A; April 17th, 2008 at 11:59 PM.