Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Considering a surplus rifle

I'd go with the Mauser 96 Swede myself, but then I'm also quite fond of surplus Mausers. I've got two 96's that were completely redone (barrels turned, trimmed to 22", recrowned and reblued, bolts reconfigured for scopes, actions stripped trued and reblued, custom walnut stocks), and they are both tack drivers at the range. They are excellent for deer hunting here in Pennsylvania. Also have one in full military configuration, with a like new bore and action.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Hokkmike Guest

I would highly recommend that you call Curt's and ask him for prices on specific guns.

As best I can remember -

And these were all good examples:

Nagants - $140 - $200
    Swedes - $400 - $600
    K-98's - $300 (much more if Nazi marked - $500ish)
    K-31 - $400 -500

All prices "ish"....(only because of my poor memory)

For my money the best of the lot are the Swedes. I could not afford one and bought a 24/47 (K-98 type) for $250. But mine has matching numbers and 99% blue with good wood and all accessories.

He also had some SKS's, Carcanos, and other military type guns that I am not at all familiar with.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I am considering the K-31 Swiss and a Mauser in 6.5x55. I will be reloading for either of these so ammo is not an issue really. What are some pros and cons of the two and how do they compare to each other.

I would definitely go with the K-31 over the Mauser for three reasons. and since I have one of each I speak from experience.

1. Iron sights: The Iron sights on the K-31 are superior the Mauser. The K-31 sports a big front sight and a well defined dovetail at the rear. This makes it easier for the shooter to get a good sight picture and keep it in low light environments. The Mauser has a thin front sight and a more subtle dovetail which, for me at least is easy to loose sight of.

2. Detachable magazine: Having a detachable magazine means you don't have to fumble around with loose rounds and push them down into the internal magazine which breaks your concentration; instead you can keep a good firing position and be at the ready even while reloading.

3. Straight pull bolt: it's amazing how much of a difference this makes. You can cycle rounds while still maintaining a good sight picture. You don't have to reposition after each round like a standard bolt gun. If you're just going to the rifle range, then that's not much of an issue, but if you're shooting something on the run, it makes all the difference in the world
    Last edited by 762; May 3rd, 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

Good points all around. This will primarily be a range/hunting rifle. I am leaning towards the K31 but the Mauser is a definite on the list gun. I like the idea of military grade match grade ammo and a 60 year old gun that can out shoot most modern guns.

(Bucks County)

I have nothing bad to say about the K-31. Its a well made accurate rifle. One day I will get one.

That said, If I could have only one for hunting I would get a Mauser. Swedish Mausers are extremely well make and the 6.5x55 (with heavy bullets) can take game larger than you might think just looking at muzzle energy. The bullet shoots flat and has an extremely high sectional density so it keeps going when it hits a deer. The Swiss use it on Moose/Elk size critters and it works.

Also (at least for me) something just seems right about hunting/target shooting with a bolt action.............that doesn't mean a straight pull wouldn't work though.

Get some kind of Mauser first........THEN by all means get a K-31.
    Last edited by Delkal; May 3rd, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I have nothing bad to say about the K-31. Its a well made accurate rifle. One day I will get one.

That said, If I could have only one for hunting I would get a Mauser. Swedish Mausers are extremely well make and the 6.5x55 (with heavy bullets) can take game larger than you might think just looking at muzzle energy. The bullet shoots flat and has an extremely high sectional density so it keeps going when it hits a deer. The Swiss use it on Moose/Elk size critters and it works.

Also (at least for me) something just seems right about hunting/target shooting with a bolt action.............that doesn't mean a straight pull wouldn't work though.

Get some kind of Mauser first........THEN by all means get a K-31.
    My modern hunting rifle is a 6.5x55. IDEAL deer cartridge.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    I would definitely go with the K-31 over the Mauser for three reasons. and since I have one of each I speak from experience.

1. Iron sights:

2. Detachable magazine: Having a detachable magazine means you don't have to fumble around with loose rounds and push them down into the internal magazine which breaks your concentration; instead you can keep a good firing position and be at the ready even while reloading.

3. Straight pull bolt:
    All good points but stripper clips are pretty easy to use. K-31s are very cool rifles. I've been tempted many times and would probably own one now if I wasn't so invested in 8mm and '06.

I like Mausers a bunch but my favorite is the American Mauser.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post

1. Iron sights: The Iron sights on the K-31 are superior the Mauser. The K-31 sports a big front sight and a well defined dovetail at the rear. This makes it easier for the shooter to get a good sight picture and keep it in low light environments. The Mauser has a thin front sight and a more subtle dovetail which, for me at least is easy to loose sight of.

3. Straight pull bolt: it's amazing how much of a difference this makes. You can cycle rounds while still maintaining a good sight picture. You don't have to reposition after each round like a standard bolt gun. If you're just going to the rifle range, then that's not much of an issue, but if you're shooting something on the run, it makes all the difference in the world
    Both rifles are very nice, but I vote k-31 for practical reasons stated above plus, since you're reloading, 308 bullets are readily available.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    ... I want a good shooter but a quality rifle that I can hunt with also ...
    Since you're planning on using the rifle for hunting and other range applications, you might be interested in adding a cheek riser to the stock, especially if you're going to add a scope.

Here's a link to my cheek riser mod
    http://forum.pafoa.org/2391656-post-15.html

Talking Re: Considering a surplus rifle

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    STOP don't do it.it's a disease YOU CAN'T BUY JUST ONE.I know started with one and know have a full safe.go to the web page shooting and collecting the surplus rifle for lot's of info.it's where all us mil-surp junkie's hang out.all jokes a side you would be happy with ether one.you will find some of the old mil-surp are better made and finished then some modern rifles.good luck and enjoy.crazywolf
    lol , haha.yep once you get bit by the mil surp bug its game over ,then you will have the same problem most the rest of us mil surp lovers do , how do i sneak this one into safe without the wife seeing it lol.which card can i get the bill first on lol. They do tend to multiply buy a good safe now.You will need it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast